Getting back into the Jeep world- need advice

Rastro88

First Name
Rastro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2020 JLR
It’s been five long years but I am finally getting back into the Jeep world. I had to sell my 2000 TJ with the bulletproof inline6.

Now I’m looking at the 2020 JL Rubicon but not sure which engine to go with. I like the Recon package but it only offers the 2.0 4 and not the 3.6 V6.

I’ve seen the previous threads about test driving the two different engines and people being happy with one or the other. BUT now that some of you have had one or the other for a while, do you still feel that way?

also- I’ve always been a manual purist but looking at the new automatic I’m leaning that way as well. Especially because the wife would be able to drive it in an emergency.

all your thoughts and input are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rastro88

Rastro88

First Name
Rastro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2020 JLR
Also- just to be clear, I’m getting a two door if that matters to you all. And yes I will be outfitting

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
It’s been five long years but I am finally getting back into the Jeep world. I had to sell my 2000 TJ with the bulletproof inline6.

Now I’m looking at the 2020 JL Rubicon but not sure which engine to go with. I like the Recon package but it only offers the 2.0 4 and not the 3.6 V6.

I’ve seen the previous threads about test driving the two different engines and people being happy with one or the other. BUT now that some of you have had one or the other for a while, do you still feel that way?

also- I’ve always been a manual purist but looking at the new automatic I’m leaning that way as well. Especially because the wife would be able to drive it in an emergency.

all your thoughts and input are greatly appreciated!
We too were five years without a Jeep, the itch made us look to buying a Jeep as our weekend fun vehicle. In fact, it was so much fun that we ditched our daily drivers and the fun Jeep for two Jeep daily drivers. 2020 JLUS and wife’s 2020 JLUR, both with the 2.0. Love the engine, love the new automatic. Mall/beach crawlers in sunny flat Florida.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I have the 3.6 with the auto, so I can’t vouch for the 2.0, but I would suggest trying it. The 3.6 is bulletproof, but the 2.0 is probably more fun to drive. Also slightly more fuel efficient.

The automatic is awesome. Honestly the best one I have ever driven. Smooth shifts and it learns your driving habits. Right now, I believe there is a stop-sale on the manual transmissions for a clutch overheating issue. I don’t know if they have repaired the all or not.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
You sold a 15 year old TJ. Do you plan on keeping the JL for 15 years? If so, do you feel the 2.0L and all its components will last 15 years with minimal maintenance?

(I bought the 3.6L because I want the simplest solution that will give me good service for 10+ years.)

Sponsored

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
3.6 Automatic here & it’s the best I’ve driven so far. So much more “oomph” than my previous Jeeps. I had two JK’s and a 2001 TJ.

I’m thinking about test driving the 2.0 and a diesel just for fun. I want to experience for myself the difference in torque.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
We too were five years without a Jeep, the itch made us look to buying a Jeep as our weekend fun vehicle. In fact, it was so much fun that we ditched our daily drivers and the fun Jeep for two Jeep daily drivers. 2020 JLUS and wife’s 2020 JLUR, both with the 2.0. Love the engine, love the new automatic. Mall/beach crawlers in sunny flat Florida.
We have 2 Jeeps as well. Both with the 4 cyl. Mine has about 10k miles , pretty well broken in. The engine is fantastic . It gets amazing mileage ( 27 mpg @ 50 mph average ) and its spunky as hell. Is it gonna last 15 years ? Shit, I dont know if Im gonna last 15 years !

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
I've had Jeeps going all the way back to TJ's and I now have the 2.0 and I love it! I've had it for a year now and it has been everything I want out of a Jeep. It is pretty loaded down with my gear (roof rack and tent at the moment, winch, etc.) but is still so much fun to drive! My wife, who has never personally owned a Jeep as her daily driver, likes the Jeep so much she just ordered a 2020 for herself. She ordered a two door, 3.6 because she actually wanted one that was slightly less "peppy" so she doesn't do anything crazy. To each their own, I guess. I'll let you know how they compare if you don't already have yours by then.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2004 TJ with the 4.0 in it too. The JL engines and automatic transmission are light years ahead of the TJ offerings.

When I bought my 18 JLUR with the 2.0 eTorque, I test drove that and the 3.6 on the same exact route. This consisted of a fairly steep and twisty 4 line highway between Carson City, NV and Lake Tahoe. The 2.0 engine handled the steep grade much better than the 3.6. It had much more passing power, it was a blast to drive! I didn't drive a manual equipped JL, didn't want to after experiencing the new 8 speed auto.

Over 1.5 years later, I have had ZERO problems with the 2.0. My Jeep is now equipped with 37" tires, 2.5" lift, winch, and other goodies. I am amazed at how well the 2.0 retains great drivability with the stock 4.10 gears. I hesitated a lot in putting 37's at first because I knew I wouldn't be able to re-gear for awhile. I will still re-gear, but it's really not needed. I'd just like to see 8th gear a little more. But I still have great passing power in the mountains.

The " newness" of the 2.0 didn't dissuade me, it's not a totally new engine (Alfa has been using it for a few years prior to the JL). Ultimately, you'll have to make the decision what fits your needs better. Test drive them both and see what you like.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have a 2019 2 door sport with the 3.6 and 8 spd auto. the best combo imho. i dont know about the 2.0 and didnt bother in looking at them because i dont know the long term reliability of the 2.0. the 3.6 is a very dependable motor. same goes for the 8 spd trans the ride on the 2 door is comfortable. the gas mileage is great. this is my daily driver and have taking the jl on a couple of long trips and been very happy with it and will be keeping it for a long time.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Gotta second the notion that the 3.6/auto 2 door is an awesome combo. It just feels like a big, meaty, throaty powerplant as a vehicle like this should sound, and the agility of the 2 door both on and off the trail make it feel like a great combo. It's no Hemi but it sounds big and robust and is fun to drive. Crisp, lightning fast shifts with this combo and a pretty long powerband, and its linear-ness is great for slow navigating on trails. It even "farts" on upshift in manual mode like my DSG Audi S5 used to.

I drove the 2.0 for a week as a loaner and ultimately didn't enjoy it all that much. If you stomp on it, it's got a small but noticeable increase in torque on the butt dyno compared to the 3.6, but at the expense of sounding like a Nissan Sentra. I found it to have to constantly be shifting to stay in the powerband when you're accelerating and I just didn't love the complexity. It's not for everyone, the mpg increase is legitimate but personally I couldn't get over the sound, it felt like it cheapened the Jeep for me. Add on the fact that the 3.6 has existed in some form for a lot longer and is run in police/fleet vehicles with 250k+ miles seals the deal for me.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
3.6 2dr Manual here my 5th Wrangler! actually have had 6 one was a 4 door which just didn't do it for me. This manual took me some time to get used to (driven manuals for 43 years), felt like a sixteen year old learning all over again. After a day I was all set 1st is almost useless and difficult to know where it catches...once you get used to that it's good. The shifts are clean and smooth much nicer than my JK's and YJ's. One word of advice is to Drive them on the highway to get a good feeling for each. There are some that have experienced wandering in the steering... I have not experienced it but I do have to fight the wheel when there is wind in the forecast due to it being lighter and the fact that it is a box on wheels. Other than that Jeep knocked it out of the ballpark with these vehicles...you will fall in love and buy one!
Keep us posted and have fun test driving them.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...all your thoughts and input are greatly appreciated!
Get the auto transmission with whatever engine you like. Both are great and better than what you’re used to now.

Also, your future self encourages you to start saving now for the hemi swap you, I and the rest of this forum knows you want to do.

We can’t wait for you to do the swap and post your progress here. :like:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The Recon is a nice package.

This is my 3rd 2-door Wrangler. I owned a '97 TJ and a '15 JK. I own a automatic '19 JLR 2.0T eTorque now.

I test drove a LOT of 2-door Rubicons with both engines and eventually ordered the 2.0 for the torque. It has been problem free. The extra torque is noticeable. It moves the JL with less effort. It feels more agile because the extra torque gets it moving quicker.

Pay attention to both start/stop systems also. The eTorque start/stop system is less intrusive then the ESS. The 3.6 ESS starts the engine when you lift the brake pedal. You hear and feel the cranking. It's a more noticeable start up. As annoying as I feel it is. I am sure I would get used to the 3.6 ESS over time. OR I would more then likely just turn it OFF. Where as I would leave the eTorque system ON. In fact I do leave it ON. I don't mind the eTorque start/stop system. The eTorque generator propels the JL forward about 1/2 a wheel rotation to eliminate turbo lag. It does a good job.

One other consideration. Are you at all considering larger, heavier wheels or tires? The extra torque of the 2.0T and eTorque help with getting those heavier wheels turning. A re-gear is less likely.

The 8-speed automatic is a game changer. It completely transforms the driving experience with either engine. You will not regret it. As far as engine choice? I highly recommend test-driving as many versions of each engine. You will notice and prefer one over the other. I don't think there is a bad choice here. Just personal preferences. I would be perfectly happy with either engine if there were no choice.

Reliability and longevity? Both have the same warranties. Most eTorque components are covered under the longer Federal Emissions Warranty. This is a quote from the website attached.

"In addition, as part of the Basic Limited Warranty, the Federal Emission Warranty covers the following parts of the eTorque system for 7 years/70,000 miles, whichever comes first.

• EGR Cooler — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
  • Fuel Tank Assembly — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
  • Transmission Control Module — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
  • Turbocharger — 2.0L engine
Further, as part of the Basic Limited Warranty, the Federal Emission Warranty covers the following parts of the eTorque system for eight years/80,000 miles, whichever comes first.

• Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator — 2.0L and 3.6L engines with BSG (If Equipped)
  • Catalytic Converter — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
  • Powertrain Control Module — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
  • Power Pack Unit — 48 Volts 2.0L and 3.6L engines with BSG (If Equipped)"

To answer your question? I personally drove a friend's 3.6 for a while and I missed the added torque of my 2.0T. Would I buy another 2.0T after owning the 2.0T eTorque again? Honestly, a reassuring YES. Have I had any reliability issues with the 2.0T or eTorque system? NO, it's been 100% problem free for me during my 14 months of ownership.

Attached is a link about eTorque and warranty.

https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/tools/articles.aspx?article=Wrangler_Etorque_Technology&type=4

Last edited:

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I've had both gas engines in the JL platform, running 37's on both. The V6 is a fantastic engine but I wouldn't buy it again over the turbo. The torque difference is quite large and in the higher gears, bigger tires aren't noticeable. The V6 really needs to be rung out to go anywhere. The turbo makes driving feel effortless, in town and on the highway. I live at 7k ft elevation, so take that into consideration. The turbo sounds goofy though. The V6 has a better sound, but its still a V6 and unless its a V8 Hemi, LS, or coyote no V6 sounds good. LOL
Sponsored