Sponsored

Getting a 4 door sport this week. Advice please!!

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
It's very easy to "reclock" the crank to a position where there is no interference. At 6'8" and 400#, that's the first mod I made!
Well, as I recall, it wasn't the lever portion of the handle but rather the part that goes over the stud, if that makes sense. The fulcrum. Now, with that said, this was in a JK, so they might have totally moved the location on the JL. My knee was on it so bad the whole time. Plus it was a manual which meant it kept my knee on it due to needing to use the clutch often. If I was on the highway I could have moved my leg, barely, since I wouldn't be using the clutch.
Sponsored

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
That's interesting....I would not have thought about that part of the crank being an issue. For me, it's always the jnob on the end, but with shorter legs the center portion could easily be an issue.

For once, being tall just might be an advantage!

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I can only speak for my own experiences.
I have made option decisions based on savings in the past, only to really regret it later on down the road, and spend more in the long run than had I bit the bullet and got it initially, and it would have amount to maybe 20-30 more a month than the hundreds I shelled out to add later.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Well, as I recall, it wasn't the lever portion of the handle but rather the part that goes over the stud, if that makes sense. The fulcrum. Now, with that said, this was in a JK, so they might have totally moved the location on the JL. My knee was on it so bad the whole time. Plus it was a manual which meant it kept my knee on it due to needing to use the clutch often. If I was on the highway I could have moved my leg, barely, since I wouldn't be using the clutch.
I put my JK seat on Big Boy seat extenders , and moved it back . My knee is nowhere near the crank .

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Its not a pain in the ass to add power locks. Honestly i never roll windows down so thats not a problem. My main issue with my sport is the power locks.

I'm in the process of doing it and its not difficult. you just need to have an keyless entry aftermarket alarm system which are easy to install. Then buy the door actuators that are part numbers for a jeep with power locks.

All you do is add the wire pins to the correct pins for lock and unlock and wire them into the keyless alarm module and Vuala. Power locks. You can add interior switches for them if you want but honestly I don't care for that. I just need to be able to unlock all doors and lock them when I'm out of the vehicle.

I guess you can find a Sport S for a low price but its best to order as most SPORT S off the lots have trade offs. Like won't have Anti-Slip or Hard Top.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Its not a pain in the ass to add power locks. Honestly i never roll windows down so thats not a problem. My main issue with my sport is the power locks.

I'm in the process of doing it and its not difficult. you just need to have an keyless entry aftermarket alarm system which are easy to install. Then buy the door actuators that are part numbers for a jeep with power locks.

All you do is add the wire pins to the correct pins for lock and unlock and wire them into the keyless alarm module and Vuala. Power locks. You can add interior switches for them if you want but honestly I don't care for that. I just need to be able to unlock all doors and lock them when I'm out of the vehicle.

I guess you can find a Sport S for a low price but its best to order as most SPORT S off the lots have trade offs. Like won't have Anti-Slip or Hard Top.
Is there a wiring harness for the door in the Sport? Figured since there are no power locks, windows, mirrors there would be no harness. Maybe there pin switches or other sensors in the door so the Jeep knows they are closed or removed?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Is there a wiring harness for the door in the Sport? Figured since there are no power locks, windows, mirrors there would be no harness. Maybe there pin switches or other sensors in the door so the Jeep knows they are closed or removed?
Friend , you don't need that useless junk in the first place . Take off the doors and enjoy your Jeep .

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Yes, there is wiring that goes into the actuator that tells the Vehicle the doors are open. I have circled the part that plugs into the actuator. So what you do is add the pins into that harness for unlock and lock.

Also, most don't know this. But the rear swing gate is already wired for power locks on the sports. not sure why. so you just have to tap into that and not even mess with it.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 11.13.29 AM.png

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
honestly the hardest part is just removing all the door panels. From there its pretty straight forward.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Also, most don't know this. But the rear swing gate is already wired for power locks on the sports. not sure why.
So you can crawl in and lock yourself into the back area with your keyfob . lol .

silversgrfx

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Negotiate and comparison shop. Use a site like cargurus.com to search your area for a sport S that's around your price point.

Do you have anything to put down as down payment?
Are you trading in a vehicle?
Do you have a good credit score?

When I recently bought my 2 door Sport I visited two local Jeep dealers. I also looked at car gurus for other Jeeps with the specs I wanted and their prices. One dealer was determined to get my business so they gave me more on trade. knocked more off the final price of the Jeep and gave me credit towards installing wiring for towing since I wanted a towing package and none of the jeeps on lot had one.

I also didn't make my purchase the day of test driving and negotiating. I left both places with the "Need to think it over", which I did but it did let me get a extra $500 toward my trade when they followed up with me about my decision. It's all about a game of who's going to blink first. There is room for price negotiations.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Hello there. So I’m going to look at a Wrangler JL on Thursday Near my work.

It’s a 4 door base sport base steel wheels. All it has is automatic and hard top. Which I wanted. Is there anything I should look out for when buying a base sport? Sadly it’s not going to have the power windows or power locks which I wanted but I would have to go up to the sport s or Sahara for that and I don’t want to spend the extra 2/4 grand haha. Hoping to get this jeep under 33k. Just wondering if anyone has sport and how they like it?

Is it really a pain having rolled up windows haha. Could I add power locks and windows later lol. Any advice getting a sport please let me know. Excited to get a new wranlger!! Thanks
My first 4-door was a base Sport. It was so horrible having to reach around the B-pillar to unlock the rear doors, and having to stop and get out to roll down/up the rear windows for my kids that in 12 months time (on a 36 month lease) I traded it in and got a Sport S with power windows and locks.

No way I would ever buy a 4-door vehicle with manual locks and windows ever again.
Sponsored