Getter ready to order new wheels and tires but I'm questioning myself again

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
sorry about the quality of the images, but here are 3 of my daughter's '21 sport s: one on factory tires/wheels & the other 2 with the method 309 grid titanium:
Jeep Wrangler JL Getter ready to order new wheels and tires but I'm questioning myself again IMG_3812
Jeep Wrangler JL Getter ready to order new wheels and tires but I'm questioning myself again IMG_4052
Jeep Wrangler JL Getter ready to order new wheels and tires but I'm questioning myself again IMG_3922.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
That looks good but definitely more poke than I want.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
That looks good but definitely more poke than I want.
that's with a 0 offset wheel: if you were to go with a +18 like you were looking at, it would bring the tire about 18mm in further..or about 3/4"

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that's with a 0 offset wheel: if you were to go with a +18 like you were looking at, it would bring the tire about 18mm in further..or about 3/4"
And those tires are about an inch wider that I'm planning on going so I should be good

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I have it narrowed down to two different wheels and on BFG AT K02's or possibly Duratracs. My Jeep is a 6 speed and is mostly used on the road so I do not want my choice to make it less fun on the road. I also do not plan on lifting the Jeep so I don't want to get a set of wheels and tires and then think it doesn't look right so I need to lift it. My plan is to go with 255/75R17 because it's slightly larger but it doesn't seem like it's enough to make a difference in on-road drivability. I had 33/12.50 and 33/1050's on my TJ and it seemed like it just drove better on the 10.50s.

My two wheel choices are the Motegi MR149 MT6, they weigh 25.85 and are about $7 more per wheel
Jeep Wrangler JL Getter ready to order new wheels and tires but I'm questioning myself again IMG_3922.JPG

My next choice is the Motegi MR150 Trailite, 24.6 pounds

My dilemma now is both wheels are 8.5" wide and while it is within the recommended range for the tires I have picked it may be a little wide for those tires.

The wheels are available with 0 and +18 backspacing and I want them to stay even with the flares so I'm planning pon going with +18.

1) I don't plan on doing any off roading that requires much airing down and I know that would be a concern with the wider wheels and 10" wide sites but are there any other concerns?

2) I'm leaning towards the MR150 but which do you think looks better? I can't seem to find any pictures of these on Jeeps but there are tons of them on Taco's in this thread

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/motegi-mr149-or-mr150-16x8-fitments.647633/page-2
If they are at least 8.5 wide I would go with a 275/17's. Watch the offset, you dont them sticking out and I certainly would never use spacers, use the wheel offset. Just my humble opinion.

Sponsored

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After going back and fourth for a while I decided. I was down to the two but I figured if I end up keeping this Jeep I will probably regear and would end up going to a larger tires so I went with the larger wheels. Thanks Matt from discount tire, you helped a lot and I hated not to get the ones from you but I figured I'd play it safe.
Jeep Wrangler JL Getter ready to order new wheels and tires but I'm questioning myself again IMG_20210114_165709516
Jeep Wrangler JL Getter ready to order new wheels and tires but I'm questioning myself again IMG_20210114_165628030
Jeep Wrangler JL Getter ready to order new wheels and tires but I'm questioning myself again IMG_20210114_165649904
Jeep Wrangler JL Getter ready to order new wheels and tires but I'm questioning myself again IMG_20210114_165637855
Jeep Wrangler JL Getter ready to order new wheels and tires but I'm questioning myself again IMG_20210114_153930300_HDR

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
What size are those? Did I miss it somewhere. I ask because, I had the big tall and wide tires on my Jeep and I got tired of the rubbing and literally not being able to get to someplace because they rubbed so bad. I really dropped in size and I am much happier. Had it out last weekend, I think it handles a hell of a lot better. I might go down just a touch more. I like your wheels too, but be forewarned of rock knocks. What the hell, its a Jeep what are they for?

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What size are those? Did I miss it somewhere. I ask because, I had the big tall and wide tires on my Jeep and I got tired of the rubbing and literally not being able to get to someplace because they rubbed so bad. I really dropped in size and I am much happier. Had it out last weekend, I think it handles a hell of a lot better. I might go down just a touch more. I like your wheels too, but be forewarned of rock knocks. What the hell, its a Jeep what are they for?
255/75r17, they are a little over 32" or about 1/2" under the Rubicon tires. I have several sizes And widths on my 4cly TJ and 33/10.50 was the best by far. The skinnier tires seem to be easier to push and even seem to have a traction advantage in almost every situation other than maybe super low p.s.i. I think if I had a Rubicon I'd go with a 255/80r17.

Rocks shouldn't be an issue, I don't plan on doing anything to crazy in this Jeep. As my last Jeep got modded the trails got more difficult and it seemed like I was fixing something after every trail ride before I sold it. It was fun having a fairly well built Jeep for a while but I really got tired of fixing trail damage every weekend

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
I am considering it but with my 6-speed and 3.45 gears I'm afraid of what it will do to the on road performance. My TJ was a 4 cyl with 4.88 gears and I felt there was a pretty big difference between 10.50's and 12.50s. MPGs, acceleration, highway speeds and bad road performance were all negatively effected by the wider tires. It looks like going to 285 is about a 25lb jump in weight from my currant set up.
no need to regear running those smaller rubi c load KO2 33's". Maybe you were looking at the weight for the e load. Anyways, many on here run them including myself on stock everything else. On my willys, it was only .5" more in diameter since the stock M/T tire was already 32.1". I honestly couldn't tell a difference and my mpg went down maybe .5mpg if anything.
Sponsored