Sponsored

Get your Roxor now. Found to infringe on Jeep design

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Ultimately, I think the grille is what did them in. If they would've just not used any kind of variation of slots and made it more like the old FJs, FCA might not have batted an eye. I don't think Jeep has really cared about other vehicles having similar dimensions, but they really don't want anyone even coming close to a slotted grille.
I think youā€™re right. I remembered this from a long time ago and found an article about it:
https://www.autonews.com/article/20...nother-round-in-the-hummer-jeep-grille-battle
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I'd love to see them bring the Thar to the US. Awesome little jeep.

Last edited:

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW I just went to their configurator and configured a nicely equipped one, but by no means with every option. It listed out to $100 more than I paid for my brand new leftover inventory 2018 JL Sport in June of ā€˜19.

Even if the Roxor dealer somehow knocked a few grand off that still seems like a ridiculous price to me.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
FWIW I just went to their configurator and configured a nicely equipped one, but by no means with every option. It listed out to $100 more than I paid for my brand new leftover inventory 2018 JL Sport in June of ā€˜19.

Even if the Roxor dealer somehow knocked a few grand off that still seems like a ridiculous price to me.
In India you can buy a street legal Thar for around 9.6 lakh rupees (about $13,500) not counting taxes and fees.

https://www.zigwheels.com/newcars/Mahindra/Thar

seb34567

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pavillonbasilieres.com
Vehicle(s)
Roxor LE 2018, Ram 1500 classic 2019, Suzuki XL7 2007, Nissan Leaf 2014, Mazda B4000 2010
Occupation
Outfitter
I paid 47k$cad +tx for this roxor.

I paid 46.5k$cd + tx for a 2020 jlu sport s with lsd, alpine, led, heated seat/steering and the dual tops.

I don't think the roxor is a bad deal....

IMG_20191124_145741.jpg

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I paid 47k$cad +tx for this roxor.

I paid 46.5k$cd + tx for a 2020 jlu sport s with lsd, alpine, led, heated seat/steering and the dual tops.

I don't think the roxor is a bad deal....

IMG_20191124_145741.jpg
Iā€™m curious, have you ever tried those tracks on the sand?

seb34567

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Roxor LE 2018, Ram 1500 classic 2019, Suzuki XL7 2007, Nissan Leaf 2014, Mazda B4000 2010
Occupation
Outfitter
Iā€™m curious, have you ever tried those tracks on the sand?
No, I installed them in winter. Rubber is really soft so I don't think they could last long in sand. If I use new hard rubber track it should work.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I installed them in winter. Rubber is really soft so I don't think they could last long in sand. If I use new hard rubber track it should work.
In any case, super cool rig.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Mahindra owns a license to build "Jeeps" and has since 1947. They just can't call them "Jeep"

It's a inconvenient truth that FCA doesn't want to accept.
THIS!
Now, we (or actually a bunch of lawyers) can and will argue about the terms and reach of the licensing agreement, but any discussion of how similar it looks is just ignorant of the existence of the licensing agreement. IT WAS SUPPOSED TO LOOK THE SAME.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Personally Iā€™d spend Roxor money on an old YJ or TJ, be able to drive above 45 mph and on streets, and own a real jeep with money left over to mod or fix it up. Thatā€™s just me though.

Sponsored

seb34567

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Outfitter
Personally Iā€™d spend Roxor money on an old YJ or TJ, be able to drive above 45 mph and on streets, and own a real jeep with money left over to mod or fix it up. Thatā€™s just me though.
It depends on what you want to do. I use the roxor to get customers to chalets near lakes. I use it all year long (I use p285 tires when not in winter). So for me this 47k$ vehicule replace 2 snowmobiles and a pickup. With an old (or new) jeep you won't have the simplicity and ruggedness of the roxor, nor the diesel engine... I put an tuned computer in it to get rid of the speed limiter, the egr, and to get a whole lot more of power to the wheels (all this within the price stated before). The new jeep won't last 10 years until FCA problems begin to cost more than a new one....

seb34567

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Outfitter
In any case, super cool rig.
These tracks are made in Quebec and can be fitted easily on a 2020 jlu in 1.5 hours if you have a helper. They are better than the other big brands because they use commonly available parts, not proprietary wheels, bearings, tracks, ect. And they are around 30% less $ too. It's a new very small company named Nordtrack. So far so good, I even done some small jumps and nothing breaks or looses within 700km more or less!

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
They've changed the grill. Maybe that will be enough to satisfy Chrysler
https://jalopnik.com/mahindra-gives-the-roxor-a-new-face-and-issues-a-statem-1841189325
bhpido6elyop0ngkcqvp.png
That may help, but I believe part of FCA's complaint is also about the general appearance of the vehicle - boxy flat sides, etc. That's a weaker argument because other vehicles also have that general shape (old Toyota FJ series for example).

About the grille, this was part of a 2009 agreement between Roxor and FCA:

Chrysler consents to the use and incorporation of the grille design shown in Exhibit A (hereinafter theā€œApproved Grille Designā€) in vehicles sold and advertised in the United States by Mahindra and/or its affiliates and authorized dealers. Chrysler agrees and warrants that it will not assert against Mahindra, its affiliates, authorized dealers, or customers, or anyone else, any claim for infringement of Chryslerā€™s trade dress, trademark, or other intellectual property rights in the United States based on: (1) a grille having the Approved Grille Design; or (2) a vehicle containing or using the Approved Grille Design.
And this is the aforementioned grille design in Exhibit A of that agreement:

ApprovedGrilleDesign_zpsrevjeakq.jpg

The Roxor grille is similar to the one above, but not exact. The one above is for the Mahindra Scorpio, which is an SUV-type vehicle.

Whether the grille change is enough to satisfy Fiat remains to be seen (and probably litigated).
Sponsored