Sponsored

Get Ready For This: JD Powers Initial Quality Survey Ranks Jeep Equal to Toyota

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Thats funny because literally everyone I know that has had Porsches has been absolutely pissed within a few months of ownership. My best friend bought his wife the 4 door sedan in February and it has been in the shop almost the entire time they have owned it for electrical issues and most recently, reverse quit working in the transmission.
Thats because 4-door Porsches aren't real Porsches and are new to the brand :) I'm sure 911, Caymans and Boxsters fair better :rock:
But seriously, does anyone know the difference between a Porsche and porcupine? Porsches have pricks on the inside :cwl: :bandit:
Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Thats because 4-door Porsches aren't real Porsches and are new to the brand :) I'm sure 911, Caymans and Boxsters fair better :rock:
But seriously, does anyone know the difference between a Porsche and porcupine? Porsches have pricks on the inside :cwl: :bandit:
I always heard that for BMW's.

But these days a-hole (or unprintable words) drivers drive pretty much anything. And they're any age or gender.

Don't add another dick driver to the roads!

Sidenote: A Porsche is my actually attainable dream car. I long gave up silly ideas like owning a Ferrari. A Porsche will cross the country at 110mph without fuss. And the styling is, IMO, timeless.

Much like the Jeep CJ/Wrangler!

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always heard that for BMW's.

But these days a-hole (or unprintable words) drivers drive pretty much anything. And they're any age or gender.

Don't add another dick driver to the roads!

Sidenote: A Porsche is my actually attainable dream car. I long gave up silly ideas like owning a Ferrari. A Porsche will cross the country at 110mph without fuss. And the styling is, IMO, timeless.

Much like the Jeep CJ/Wrangler!
Porsches are SO CHOICE!!! I miss mine very day but my poor back doesn't. As for my Ferrari dreams I just sit back on Sundays and enjoy the F1 races.
DSCF1031.jpg
PWRSCharlotte_858_large.jpg
DSC_0071.jpg

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yep , German electronics are well-known for glitches , they're all made by Bosch , I guess .

And the contrary is : every Toyota owner tells me their vehicle is super reliable . Maybe the survey forgot to contact the Toyota owners ; ( maybe they specialize in contacting the Kia and Hyundai and Porsche owners ) . Hmmmmmm .
Toyota owners tend not to admit to their problems, or they minimize them. I was a Toyota owner, including two 4 Runners. They were fantastic vehicles. They had problems similar to any GM, Ford, or Chrysler vehicle I've owned, including a wheel vibration that they could never solve and a 4 Runner that would have it's computer brain freeze, causing it to go into neutral with all the lights blinking on the dash. It did that once to my wife while she was in the middle of an intersection, of all places. She had to shut it off, remove the key, and wait about 3 LOONNNGGG minutes, as people were honking and cursing at her. Toyota couldn't explain it. I've never had a Jeep do that to me, let alone any other vehicle. Toyota has had massive recalls and lawsuits, like anyone else. That includes premature rust out of truck frames and a slugdeomatic 3.4 V6. One of mine had that very V6, but it never sludged because I ran Mobil 1. I still loved those 4 Runners.

That said, Toyota makes as good a vehicle as anyone. Their trucks are tough and dependable. I wouldn't hesitate to own one, especially one like the Tacoma TRD Pro. Love those. I'm certainly glad my new JL has an Aisin manual transmission in it, which is 51% owned by Toyota. It is the best feeling manual transmission I've ever had.

I just laugh, though, when someone thinks they are error free in quality and design. That's just not true. I've never seen a Toyota dealership with an empty service department.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota owners tend not to admit to their problems, or they minimize them. I was a Toyota owner, including two 4 Runners. They were fantastic vehicles. They had problems similar to any GM, Ford, or Chrysler vehicle I've owned, including a wheel vibration that they could never solve and a 4 Runner that would have it's computer brain freeze, causing it to go into neutral with all the lights blinking on the dash. It did that once to my wife while she was in the middle of an intersection, of all places. She had to shut it off, remove the key, and wait about 3 LOONNNGGG minutes, as people were honking and cursing at her. Toyota couldn't explain it. I've never had a Jeep do that to me, let alone any other vehicle. Toyota has had massive recalls and lawsuits, like anyone else. That includes premature rust out of truck frames and a slugdeomatic 3.4 V6. One of mine had that very V6, but it never sludged because I ran Mobil 1. I still loved those 4 Runners.

That said, Toyota makes as good a vehicle as anyone. Their trucks are tough and dependable. I wouldn't hesitate to own one, especially one like the Tacoma TRD Pro. Love those. I'm certainly glad my new JL has an Aisin manual transmission in it, which is 51% owned by Toyota. It is the best feeling manual transmission I've ever had.

I just laugh, though, when someone thinks they are error free in quality and design. That's just not true. I've never seen a Toyota dealership with an empty service department.
My Toyota Tacoma Off-Road is a piece of shit and their service department if full of assclowns. My only other Toyota was also a piece of shit. Glad you had a better experience.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My Toyota Tacoma Off-Road is a piece of shit and their service department if full of assclowns. My only other Toyota was also a piece of shit. Glad you had a better experience.
More evidence that they aren't as golden as some seem to think. They are made by humans, who are far from perfect. Mine were good, not great.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport

Thank you , @DanW , for the very helpful explanation . I am a very happy Jeep owner , myself , but I merely could not understand some of the results and rankings .

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
as far as Hyundai, wifes Sonata lots of problms as mileage ads up . not to mention the GDI engine Disaster . What good is 90 days when your payments go on for years . And you owe more then car is worth .

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry but I have to laugh at this survey. Don’t get me wrong I love my JL but no way it and all the other vehicles ranked higher that Toyota and Honda is correct. Unfortunately it’s made by FCA and if you want to play the game you have to buy from them. Kind of like Harley Davidson, they are pretty much junk also but you put up with it to own one. And yes I speak from experience, have owned too many to count.
It is not a durability or even reliability survey. It is initial quality, and that is extremely variable for all manufacturers. That said, Toyota and Honda are not as high as some think, either. Honda's direct injected engines right now are showing VERY high fuel dilution numbers in oly analyses. It will be interesting to see what happens with that when they get some miles on them. Toyota has had major recalls over the years for some of their most reputable products, including their 3.4 engine in 4 Runners and Tacomas sludging and Tacoma frames rusting out. Hardly the invincible products they are talked up to be.
I'm not saying they aren't good, because they are. I've owned both. I'm saying it is not inconcieveable that other companies can beat them on occasion, especially in something as fleeting as 90 day initial quality. FCA has improved, and the Grand Cherokee and primarily the JK are both very mature designs. Mature designs tend to have an advantage in initial quality over new designs, as the defects have been flushed out and suppliers have refined the parts.

As for experience, none of my 3 Jeeps has ever left me stranded, and two have proven very durable. The jury is out on the JL, but at the 5,000 mile point, it is as good as both of my 4 Runners and our Civic were. We'll see as the miles pile up, but I never took my Toys or Civic off road as hard as I have my JL, in their entire lives, so they were spared the beating that a Jeep will get again, and again.

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Sorry but I have to laugh at this survey. Don’t get me wrong I love my JL but no way it and all the other vehicles ranked higher that Toyota and Honda is correct. Unfortunately it’s made by FCA and if you want to play the game you have to buy from them. Kind of like Harley Davidson, they are pretty much junk also but you put up with it to own one. And yes I speak from experience, have owned too many to count.
Very true on the Harley end. Some of the most knowledgeable techs I have met. How do you become an expert? Lots of practice. You get practice from seeing a lot of problems.

But we own them in-spite of/because of everything else.

rx2man

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
leSabre
But Kia is number 2, if Genesis is Hyundai “luxury” brand then Kia is Hyundai’s...lets say “entry level” brand to be kind.
I am on my 3rd Kia/Hyundai. 1st 2 were traded in for something else and not because of issues. We currently have a 2011 Sorento with 115k. Only repair was a AC hose @ about 105k. They make great cars.....granted the stuff from 20+ yrs ago was questionable.....but from 2005 ish they have been great vehicles.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
As for experience, none of my 3 Jeeps has ever left me stranded, and two have proven very durable ... beating that a Jeep will get again, and again.
Exactly so , and as a Jeep veteran , I can go further and say that the Army M-151 Jeep saved lives during war . I know the M-151 was tough and never failed when giving or taking a beating .

In February , 2018 , the FCA head of design took his new JL and pushed away a burning car from another at the scene of an accident in Detroit , and likely saved lives with the new JL .

I trust "surveys" from for-profit companies about as far as I trust anything else that can be manipulated for-profit , and turned into sales propaganda , such as vehicle reviews on the internet .

I trust true reality much more than sales propaganda ; and Jeeps have lived in true reality since 1941 .

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I am on my 3rd Kia/Hyundai. 1st 2 were traded in for something else and not because of issues. We currently have a 2011 Sorento with 115k. Only repair was a AC hose @ about 105k. They make great cars.....granted the stuff from 20+ yrs ago was questionable.....but from 2005 ish they have been great vehicles.
However , compared with the mighty Jeep , they are likely wuss cars , which might be damaged by driving through a mere bush .
Sponsored

Last edited: