Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bongorayproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimted
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

I've had some extra time on my hands during this apocalypse, so I put together a step by step how to install for my GenRight aluminum rock sliders. Note, I don't have any affiliation with GenRight nor do I get paid for any of this. I hope this video helps! Check it out if you're bored and have 15 min to kill. :)

Thanks!
Ray
Sponsored

OP
OP
bongoray

bongoray

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the video installation, well done. Love the idea of aluminum sliders and no rust. Having seen your install makes me wonder and take pause about GR's mounting idea. I've read where several vendors prefer not to mount to the body because FCA has lightened it up vs the JK. Also wonder if the combined frame and body mounting points are a good idea in the long run. Body and frame seperation for flexing an all. I do know those GR alum sliders look great, are expensive and I hope I've got my concerns all wrong. Couple years down the road we'll probably all know for sure.
Thanks man! I really appreciate the compliments. I really wanted to go with aluminum for the weight savings. We’ll see how they hold up. I wasn’t crazy about drilling into the bodywork, but I know GenRight makes great stuff. They beat on them pretty hard at King of the Hammers. That sold me on the durability, but you’re right. We’ll see. :)

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Thanks man! I really appreciate the compliments. I really wanted to go with aluminum for the weight savings. We’ll see how they hold up. I wasn’t crazy about drilling into the bodywork, but I know GenRight makes great stuff. They beat on them pretty hard at King of the Hammers. That sold me on the durability, but you’re right. We’ll see. :)
Hi there, I am curious to know your thoughts on these now that you’ve had them for a while. How are they holding up?

OP
OP
bongoray

bongoray

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there, I am curious to know your thoughts on these now that you’ve had them for a while. How are they holding up?
Hey. The sliders hold up great. They’re well built and they look great. If you’re going to do any rock crawling I would stay away from them. Any time they contact a rock they’ll push up into the Jeep’s body work and dent it. Probably because the sliders are stronger than the JL’s aluminum body. I would go with steel sliders for rock crawling.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Hey. The sliders hold up great. They’re well built and they look great. If you’re going to do any rock crawling I would stay away from them. Any time they contact a rock they’ll push up into the Jeep’s body work and dent it. Probably because the sliders are stronger than the JL’s aluminum body. I would go with steel sliders for rock crawling.
Awesome, thank you !

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Have you experienced this actually happening? I had that happen with the LOD Destroyer sliders and ultimately replaced them with something else, but I would have thought these genright ones would have actually performed ok.

OP
OP
bongoray

bongoray

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you experienced this actually happening? I had that happen with the LOD Destroyer sliders and ultimately replaced them with something else, but I would have thought these genright ones would have actually performed ok.
I have. I have damaged rockers on both sides, even with slight contact with rocks. It sucks.

OP
OP
bongoray

bongoray

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you contacted GenRight about this issue? I have seen GenRights rig at King of the Hammers and very surprised their sliders failed like you say. Photos of their slider and damage or as they say on the forums, " it didn't happen".
The sliders didn’t fail. They did push up into the bodywork. I talked with Tony and they sent me a new set of steel sliders but the damage is already done to both sides of my Jeep. Tony is a standup guy, I’ve met him in person. Great customer service, just wish I went steel to start. Here’s your photos you wanted.
Jeep Wrangler JL GenRight Rock Slider install on 2018 JLUR ABD61209-BE95-41D1-A691-90BA0AA784B3
Jeep Wrangler JL GenRight Rock Slider install on 2018 JLUR BEA4C320-BCE1-4F09-8093-9796CE5A542C
Jeep Wrangler JL GenRight Rock Slider install on 2018 JLUR 3DA3429C-D33B-4AC9-B3D8-3DCA8829C102
Jeep Wrangler JL GenRight Rock Slider install on 2018 JLUR 7EB8D161-4641-4C34-BFE2-1D6659245B87

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Yeah it’s too bad. I’m a huge GR fan, and want to avoid weight. I’m not aware of any aluminum sliders that are up to the task of hard use.

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
That’s why I went with frame mounted. I had body mounted ones on my JK and while the extra clearance was nice, I’m still not a fan of Swiss cheesing the body, and now after seeing those pics it confirmed my thoughts about them damaging the body with any hard hits. I’m glad I took the 3” of ground clearance loss at the rockers for my frame mounted set now.

Either way, thanks for the update. I love GR’s stuff as well, nice to see guys using their products!

Sponsored

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Wow! That is really disappointing. I creased my body the full length of my frame mounted sliders on both sides. It really sucks to deal with, but my damage wasn’t as bad as yours.
I'm kind of surprised that the LOD destroyer (steel and frame mounted) did that! FWIW, I had the LOD signature sliders, but spoke with LOD before hand...they told me their Signature were their true hard-use sliders. I don't bash near the level of many, but never had any issues with them, they were good to go.

With my new jeep, I'm looking for every opportunity to avoid weight. No roof-racks, I'll keep bumpers low weight (Evo quarter pounder plus stinger was awesome, but a ton of weight), forged wheels to save 10 lbs of unsprung weight per corner.

At this point, for my current project, I'm thinking that rock sliders are not an opportunity to look for weight-saving aluminum. It's going to be necessary weight. I'll likely go for aluminum skids though.
Sponsored