Sponsored

Genius Battery Charger mount & Inlet install. Lots of pics!

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The NOCO plug in the back of the front fender that the OP shows is really cool.

Some day when I have some money to burn (a.k.a. never) I'd like to install one of these EMS type electric plug ejection systems either midline in the JL (so I don't run over the ejected cord) on on an auto-retract electrical line.

Someday I'm just going to forget to unplug the trickle charger and have one of these moments: :)

Sponsored

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
The NOCO plug in the back of the front fender that the OP shows is really cool.

Some day when I have some money to burn (a.k.a. never) I'd like to install one of these EMS type electric plug ejection systems either midline in the JL (so I don't run over the ejected cord) on on an auto-retract electrical line.

Someday I'm just going to forget to unplug the trickle charger and have one of these moments: :)

Or you could add a solar panel on the rack with a DC to DC inverter and be done.. that's my plan.. DC-DC converters - Victron Energy

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
My Jeep sits a lot and as many know the charging system is not very efficient for the two batteries. So I bought a Genius G3500 and GCP1 inlet plug. Both can be found on Amazon.

You will need to remove the factory airbox to start. I bought a piece of flat steel bar stock 1/8" x 3" x 36" at Menards, they were the cheapest I could fine, like $11.00. Piece below needs to be cut at a slight angle due to the location picked. Overall length is about 11.5" but it will shorten up after a 90* bend is put on it.

Bend a 90* in it on the narrow end so the bar will shorted up to around 10"

Had to cut this notch on the end after test fitting it, the welds on the Jeep were in the way. Sanded the bar down as well.

Another test fit. Drill and tap four 6/32 screw holes to secure charger.

Here you can see what factory screws I used to secure the mount. I did not need to buy longer ones. There is plenty of room under the hood here with it closed.

Now for the GCP1 inlet. You will have to remove some of the plastic retainers to remove the piece behind the wheel, I think there were 5 or 6. I also remove some retainers from the narrow piece between the bumper and grill so I could move it a little. Two retainers underneath and a screw holding up the front lower skid will have to come out. After that the plastic shield slides out pretty easy.

2" hole saw

I used three 1" 8/32 screws with washers and locking nuts. I would have put some blue Loctite on them as well but did not have any. Everything is stainless.

Here is where I routed the charger cord under the airbox. I used a couple zip ties to keep everything in place.

The cords are just zip tied for now. I will pick up some retaining clips next time I am at the store for something more secure. I used 1 1/4" heat shrink but had to shave some material off the cord to fit. Then grip tape on the ends with electrical tape over that. Should be fine pressure washing in there.

Finished on the top. Also painted the steel mounting plate.

View attachment 270337
what a great post, I just bought the noco genius 10 smart charger as with this lockdown the JLUR 2l isn’t getting out enough to keep the batteries top notch.

ive read an awful lot about how you should disconnect the negative post and attach a charger to the Aux negative and main +ve. To me, seems fine using the two top posts on the main for charging. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
BrntWS6

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
what a great post, I just bought the noco genius 10 smart charger as with this lockdown the JLUR 2l isn’t getting out enough to keep the batteries top notch.

ive read an awful lot about how you should disconnect the negative post and attach a charger to the Aux negative and main +ve. To me, seems fine using the two top posts on the main for charging. Any thoughts?
I have read that as well. But I have always charged both of them together with no issues so far.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
So does this mean it can be hooked up and charge without taking the negative off the battery? I don't want to reset all the stereo presets and all that fun stuff because I had to disconnect.
Correct. I have been using a Deltran Battery Tender Plus for a couple of years, and I attached its quick connect directly to the cranking battery posts. No need to disconnect anything when charging/maintaining.

@Rhinebeck01 also turned me in to this:

Battery Tender LCD Voltage Indicator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KE9A/

I have that Velcro’d to the air filter box. Along with my Redline Tuning hood struts, checking my battery health is a cinch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Genius Battery Charger mount & Inlet install.  Lots of pics! EE55E905-2450-4910-A9FD-7542A17598A8
Jeep Wrangler JL Genius Battery Charger mount & Inlet install.  Lots of pics! 54F361F2-071F-432E-8508-8042B7B38C3F
Jeep Wrangler JL Genius Battery Charger mount & Inlet install.  Lots of pics! 2387074E-D921-4CA2-B2EA-705D6C13EEDA
Jeep Wrangler JL Genius Battery Charger mount & Inlet install.  Lots of pics! 5ED7E87A-C804-4244-918E-B41165375451

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Correct. I have been using a Deltran Battery Tender Plus for a couple of years, and I attached its quick connect directly to the cranking battery posts. No need to disconnect anything when charging/maintaining.

@Rhinebeck01 also turned me in to this:

Battery Tender LCD Voltage Indicator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KE9A/

I have that Velcro’d to the air filter box. Along with my Redline Tuning hood struts, checking my battery health is a cinch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Genius Battery Charger mount & Inlet install.  Lots of pics! 5ED7E87A-C804-4244-918E-B41165375451
Thank you so much! I know less than nothing when it comes to electrical systems, so you guys are all a HUGE help to me!

Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Fantastic! Was trying to think of a good solution and this fits the bill. Will be applying this method to my Yukon (and all other cars I don’t drive regularly in the future) as I’m simply tired of having the tender laying in some random spot (sometimes on the ground) with the hood wide open.

Thanks for sharing.

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
re using a genius10 smart and as to using a maintenance smart charger via the power socket in the rear compartment.

Just a FYI. I wrote to FCA jeep owners support ..., took them 2 weeks, and told me to go speak to my dealer. Well that’s a total waste of time.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
For the Noco Eyelet quick connect, is it the M6 or the M10 one we need?
Sponsored