Sponsored

Genius Battery Charger mount & Inlet install. Lots of pics!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I like the charger in the engine bay, it can be kept topped off anywhere, camping, anywhere you have access to an extension cord
Sponsored

marek

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Wrangler Moab 03 Mercedes SL 500
Very clean install, so the question is what dictates the term “ Parked A lot “ or “ Sits a lot” the reason I ask is my JL is a daily driver but I work a rotating DuPont schedule and once a month it sits for several days not driven, say 3-4 days so during that time I just pop the hood and put on my Deltran Smart Charger via a quick connect but only do it the one time a month so is that enough given the charging system design ?

The rest of my off times during that same month the idle times vary from 1-3 days so my thinking is the once a month to recondition/fully charge is enough but if that’s incorrect please let me know.
Just got back from Europe. Jeep was sitting for a full month, started right up like it was driven last time yesterday. Was actually surprised, expecting that slow start when you are glad that battery is still slowly turning the engine but as I said. Started right up.

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 2018 Jaguar F-pace, 2002 Mercedes SLK,
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
The Genius chargers come with that extension.
I have the 2.0T and have found a host of issues when it sits. I am calling it the battery death spiral. Great idea to build in the longer pigtail. We do that for cars in storage, the problem is this one sits outside were there is not electricity. Many times at Airport parking lots. I think it is bad design on FCA's part not to protect enough juice to start it, get the generator energized and then let the computers boot. The engine could have a default start profile for fuel/air/timing etc.

If you let it get low enough you can't jump start it normally.

There is another thread where I talk about the battery death spiral:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-any-jumpstart-tips.12316/page-10#post-981774

CruToys Jeep at 27 Web.jpg

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have the 2.0T and have found a host of issues when it sits. I am calling it the battery death spiral. Great idea to build in the longer pigtail. We do that for cars in storage, the problem is this one sits outside were there is not electricity. Many times at Airport parking lots. I think it is bad design on FCA's part not to protect enough juice to start it, get the generator energized and then let the computers boot. The engine could have a default start profile for fuel/air/timing etc.

If you let it get low enough you can't jump start it normally.

There is another thread where I talk about the battery death spiral:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-any-jumpstart-tips.12316/page-10#post-981774

CruToys Jeep at 27 Web.jpg
Is your 2.0 a early build?

I considered a charger but have not had the need to yet. I have a 2.0 also as does my neighbor. Both of us also park outside. Neither of us has had any problems even though our cars sit outside in freezing temps. My JLR can sit for weeks and still start. Longest was 18 days while I was on vacation. I returned and it started right up, no issues. Other then vacations I drive it daily. My neighbor is a flight attendant and she parks her 2.0 Sahara for weeks at a time pretty often when she's flying. Her's starts right up.

I have 2 other friends who own the 3.6 with the ESS. One of them has had both batteries replaced. The smaller ESS batter was actually replaced twice. Once when he took delivery and another time when they replaced the main battery. His JL only sat for a week in his garage before battery related problems showed up. He installed a battery maintainer and has had no problems since having both batteries replaced. He does not have the tow kit option with the larger alternator. The other friend with a 3.6 has the tow and larger alternator and has been problem free. Maybe that has something to do with it?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Never in my lifetime of owning a vehicle have I ever had a need for something like this from just sitting. Are you sure something is not wrong with your factory charging system. Your jeep shouldn't be so depleted in the Batter from just 3-4 days of parking.

OP
OP
BrntWS6

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Never in my lifetime of owning a vehicle have I ever had a need for something like this from just sitting. Are you sure something is not wrong with your factory charging system. Your jeep shouldn't be so depleted in the Batter from just 3-4 days of parking.
I have never had any problem starting the Jeep at all. The issue is getting the ESS to engage from sitting and minimal driving. The system is struggling to fully charge both batteries to trigger an ESS event. I would say in general we need better/bigger alternators from the factory. This may not be as big of an issue for Rubicons for that reason.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have never had any problem starting the Jeep at all. The issue is getting the ESS to engage from sitting and minimal driving. The system is struggling to fully charge both batteries to trigger an ESS event. I would say in general we need better/bigger alternators from the factory. This may not be as big of an issue for Rubicons for that reason.
The Tow package with larger battery and alternator is a good option to order with ESS.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Good point. Had I known there could be this issue I probably would have got that option.
I still have that problem with the tow package and larger alternator. It has been there since day 1. The batteries are just on the verge of failing a battery load test. Once they fail the test at home, I will take it back to the dealer again. Otherwise it is not worth the hassle.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6

stoner

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Forester- 2000 Ranger- 650 KLR
Occupation
Retired and loving it...
I new here so just asking, is it possible to by-pass the ess, and run off the main only? Thanks in advance

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I new here so just asking, is it possible to by-pass the ess, and run off the main only? Thanks in advance
Yes it is.....this has been discussed many times over and there are lots of options from running a simple jumper wire to a dual battery setup just depends what needs you have and how deep your pockets are.
Sponsored