Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone installed the g screen yet or at least decided on a good location to mount it? I'm curious what you've come up with.
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
In the 3.6L JL the ESS battery alone energizes the starter relay to tell the starter to crank the engine..just before doing so connecting both the ESS and main battery in parallel.

Does anyone know what battery/batteries energize the starter relay in this kit, and under what circumstances?

Is it one particular battery?

Is it one particular battery, but if that battery is dead, the booster feature can be engaged to charge that battery for a minute, or the other battery can be taxed with energizing the starter relay?

The write up at the website seems to speak in generic terms of "starting the engine," a process out of the factory that depends technically upon the ESS battery....with the main battery sharing/bearing the brunt of the responsibility along with the ESS battery of turning the starter but NOT communicating with the starter to turn: again the starter relay--and ESS battery which solely energizes the starter relay's--job.

Thanks.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
1 battery energizes everything. 2nd battery is the backup.

Sponsored

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Shane mentions in that same video towards the end, that all the Jeep’s original outlets and functions are on the main battery. Basically if you add a winch, a fridge with a dedicated line to the accessory battery, and anything else, you should connect them to the second battery. Believe me I would have preferred to have all the current stuff wired to the additional battery, but I assume the factory wiring harness won’t allow it.
I think the majority of people would like to have all loads powered off the auxiliary battery in the Genesis system and save the primary battery for only starting. Aftermarket loads can easily be added to the aux Genesis battery. It's the factory loads that came off the small OEM battery that we would like to switch to the Genesis aux battery. I believe Shane has these loads on the starting battery because the positive cable from the OEM small battery wouldn't reach. I don't see why we can't simply extend this positive cable to the Genesis aux battery. That's what I plan to do. I would also like to change the voltage setting that seperates the batteries from 12.7 (90-95% SOC) to more like 12.2 (50% SOC). That way I get to use the capacity of both batteries but still leave plenty for starting vehicle multiple times. Also batteries will wear out more equally. Does any of this make sense or am I loosing it?

Heres some pics from my install today.

PHOTO_20190424_181711.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_182238.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_182244.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_183459.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_183604.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_185853.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_185903.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_194936.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_194943.jpg

PHOTO_20190424_195012.jpg

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I understand the concept of a dual batter setup. Here is where I'm not so familiar with. If the JL already had a DUAL Battery setup, why not modify the already existing setup to work like the Genesis. I mean your talking about spending more than 1,000.00 Dollars to put dual batteries in a vehicle that already has dual batteries. Why not work with what is already there?

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I understand the concept of a dual batter setup. Here is where I'm not so familiar with. If the JL already had a DUAL Battery setup, why not modify the already existing setup to work like the Genesis. I mean your talking about spending more than 1,000.00 Dollars to put dual batteries in a vehicle that already has dual batteries. Why not work with what is already there?
1. The second OEM battery is very small so its more like a 1.25 system vs a 2.0 (dual) system.
2. Half the cost of the Genesis system is the batteries which would have to be bought anyway since starting batteries are not good at all for any deep discharging.
3. I like the fact that the second battery is much easier to get to now. The small OEM battery was a pain to get to.

If you're not going to run much loading with vehicle off then Genesis system is probably pointless.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Did you guys happen to find any discount on the genesis or odyssey batteries? I know I know..but every dollar saved gets to buy more jeep stuff :)

Sponsored

Bluebear

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
Has anyone installed the g screen yet or at least decided on a good location to mount it? I'm curious what you've come up with.
I just installed my kit with the gscreen. I tried to duplicate the picture they had in their product catalog. Wasn’t too bad to install although a bit difficult to bit all the bits behind the trim. I went really slow with a razor blade to trim... the trim. Lol

2EB575FB-D86E-42E4-9B84-488404EFF146.jpeg

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same setup on my 3.6. It gets rid of that small battery. Its not really a mess at all, very simple setup. I have a winch solenoid on top that works very well.

IMG_0859.JPG
Do you have a photo of the winch solenoid? I want to do something similar myself. Also, out of curiosity, what's the fuse on the firewall there?

This is high up on my install list when I install my winch.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed my kit with the gscreen. I tried to duplicate the picture they had in their product catalog. Wasn’t too bad to install although a bit difficult to bit all the bits behind the trim. I went really slow with a razor blade to trim... the trim. Lol
Nice job, Bryan! It looks really good there.

I still haven't ordered the dual battery kit, but it's something I think about pulling the trigger on almost every day. I want it more for peace of mind since I've already had a mysterious dead battery event that left my Jeep stranded. I think that both the main and aux batteries FCA used are questionable in quality. That and I like the idea of being better able to run a fridge instead of a cooler for camping.

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon

2EB575FB-D86E-42E4-9B84-488404EFF146.jpeg
Love this! Mine is still loose in the cabin, was waiting for a good idea.
Any other install pictures that you could share? How did you route the wire? How did you take that piece of trim off?

Chadt714

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU RUBICON
Love this! Mine is still loose in the cabin, was waiting for a good idea.
Any other install pictures that you could share? How did you route the wire? How did you take that piece of trim off?
I'm in the process of doing mine, I left the trim up just pulled it down to see if there's any wiring behind, snap it back up, use rubbing alcohol clean the area put the template on, lightly cut around where you need to, remove the template finish the cut then I took a file to make the cuts straight. I'm running my cable up the passenger side pillar and through the top where the visors are over to the g screen
20190730_145454.jpg
20190730_145446.jpg
Sponsored