Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I'm not an expert on the Genesis system, but I think the battery sensor is connected to the wrong battery. It needs to be on the battery to the left, which is the cranking battery, the new Main battery. The battery sensor monitors the current flowing through the battery and having it connected to the accessory battery provides the charging system with incorrect information.

According to the installation video, the batteries are separated during cranking. With the battery sensor monitoring the accessory battery, it will not see the starting current used by the cranking battery. The battery sensor not reporting accurate power usage may be why the charging system is having issues.

Here's my post with the information I was able to find about the battery sensor.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-ibs-information.22585/

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm not an expert on the Genesis system, but I think the battery sensor is connected to the wrong battery. It needs to be on the battery to the left, which is the cranking battery, the new Main battery. The battery sensor monitors the current flowing through the battery and having it connected to the accessory battery provides the charging system with incorrect information.

According to the installation video, the batteries are separated during cranking. With the battery sensor monitoring the accessory battery, it will not see the starting current used by the cranking battery. The battery sensor not reporting accurate power usage may be why the charging system is having issues.

Here's my post with the information I was able to find about the battery sensor.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-ibs-information.22585/
Yeah when I was doing some research I came across your post, thanks! I'm no expert on the IBS and don't know all what the jeep uses in the algorithm etc for the charging duties either. But I have to believe it uses another sensor input on the plus side of the main battery since the IBS is only hooked up to the ground. That other sensor is probably from the main battery which would prove the theory of disconnecting the IBS would send a false no voltage signal therefore inhibiting full voltage charge on the main battery ( or both batteries in the Genesis case).

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah when I was doing some research I came across your post, thanks! I'm no expert on the IBS and don't know all what the jeep uses in the algorithm etc for the charging duties either. But I have to believe it uses another sensor input on the plus side of the main battery since the IBS is only hooked up to the ground. That other sensor is probably from the main battery which would prove the theory of disconnecting the IBS would send a false no voltage signal therefore inhibiting full voltage charge on the main battery ( or both batteries in the Genesis case).
I'm pretty sure that's the only battery sensor. Current flows from the positive terminal to the negative terminal, it's measuring the current at the negative terminal.

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I mean you are assuming the current (if being measured) has anything to do with the variable voltage charging alternator algorithm BS jeep uses. Of course the ECU is measuring the POS voltage somewhere to determine the alternator output, probably whatever the ECU is seeing at the time. Who knows this is all assumptions since we don't work for jeep and didn't design the system, I know what works first hand and I am just sharing with others so they may too reap the benefits of an alternator charging constant 14v+.

Sorry if the post came out attitudely I'm a virgo and I'm drinking

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean you are assuming the current (if being measured) has anything to do with the variable voltage charging alternator algorithm BS jeep uses. Of course the ECU is measuring the POS voltage somewhere to determine the alternator output, probably whatever the ECU is seeing at the time. Who knows this is all assumptions since we don't work for jeep and didn't design the system, I know what works first hand and I am just sharing with others so they may too reap the benefits of an alternator charging constant 14v+.

Sorry if the post came out attitudely I'm a virgo and I'm drinking
I should have added that unplugging the sensor may be the final solution if the higher charging voltage is what the batteries preffer. I was just pointing out that the battery sensor is not optimally placed as is.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
For what it’s worth, I noticed this morning on the way to work that the volts read 14.1 the whole time on the highway. Note, I haven’t unplugged anything and I don’t have the Genesis system.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
For what it’s worth, I noticed this morning on the way to work that the volts read 14.1 the whole time on the highway. Note, I haven’t unplugged anything and I don’t have the Genesis system.
Probably because one your batteries are reading low voltage...Whats the battery measuring while vehicle has not been running for 5 min or so? Also no easy way to measure 2nd battery without removing fuse panel cover and probing with a meter.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine has been around the mid 14 volt range for the past year that I have been watching. It's not because of bad batteries, it's because of short trips. If I take a long trip, the voltage will go down for a few days, but it eventually goes back up.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably because one your batteries are reading low voltage...Whats the battery measuring while vehicle has not been running for 5 min or so? Also no easy way to measure 2nd battery without removing fuse panel cover and probing with a meter.
Unless you are auto stopped, all voltages are of the combined batteries. If you disconnect the Aux battery ground cable from Main battery negative terminal you can read the individual battery voltages.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
For those with the kit, both of my batteries are showing at 14.1 but the indicator on the G screen is still showing boost off. Even after depressing it for 3 seconds it remains this way. I can press the button under the hood on the genesis unit and hear it click but the switch on the G screen does nothing except switch display modes. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Did you hold the button down while on the "boost off" screen?

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Did you hold the button down while on the "boost off" screen?
Yes, it does nothing. It is my understanding that when both batteries are at the level mine are it should show “on”.
Sponsored