Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am having Tank Customs do this kit and put a hitch and extender on my JL next week, I am tired of worrying when that baby ESS battery craps out and leaves me stranded, even with a jumper from my understanding if the ESS battery goes bad it will pull the main down with it
Sponsored

Last edited:

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
yes you just attach the positive charger clamp to the positive post on the cranking battery and the negative clamp on the negative post of the Aux battery. The batteries are linked so both will charge.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
He posted a video for this as well
thanks for the link....whatā€™s this Iā€™ve been reading about the linking solenoid pulling the voltages down to 12.7 as it uses power, I thought odyssey batteries needed to be kept at like 13.2 for good life

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Just ordered one of these as I found myself stuck on the trail last weekend. Is my big battery bad? My little one? As I understand it both can cause the rig not to crank. What a crappy stock setup. So, this is mostly to give me peace of mind, and maybe someday I'll be running accessories too. But I'm mostly a day tripper.
There is a firmware update for that....

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the link....whatā€™s this Iā€™ve been reading about the linking solenoid pulling the voltages down to 12.7 as it uses power, I thought odyssey batteries needed to be kept at like 13.2 for good life
I will let you read a response from Shane at Genesis offroad about the solenoid disconnecting at 12.7. There has been much discussion. In the end, it's a personal preference.

The only documentation I find from odyssey is 13.6v float on the charger. If it's a daily driver I suppose it matters less. Mine is not a daily driver so it's kept on a smart charger during down time.

WhatExit - I can completely understand where you're coming from. Just to reiterate from my earlier post, the smart isolator will separate the batteries when they are at 12.7v for 1 minute. This is by design, so this is not 'an issue' that needs a fix. As I mentioned, we have some customers who want to leave the batteries connected until they drop to 12.2v or even lower so they can get the most run time possible. For example, such as running a CPAP breathing machine while camping overnight. And then we also have a few customers who want the batteries to separate immediately when you turn off the engine, for example, guys who have had a bad experience from getting stranded with a dead cranking battery - they don't want anything touching that cranking battery!

I feel that the design of the smart isolator we use in our kits finds the happy medium in between. 12.7v is still a very high threshold for separating the batteries. Also, remember that all batteries begin to lose their capacity from the day they are manufactured. This is just the physics of how batteries work. So over time, all batteries, regardless of the brand or how much they cost, will slowly lose their maximum capacity. For example, the batteries in our JK are around 3 1/2 years old, and regardless of how long I drive or how many times I charge it, the cranking battery settles at about 12.3v overnight. Is that a problem that needs to be fixed? Does the battery need to be replaced? No, because it still starts the engine perfectly fine every day, and I expect it will continue to do so for a long time to come, and that's what matters to me. The batteries in my Tundra are only about 1 year old (I actually have 3 batteries in the truck), and the batteries in my JL are about 1 1/2 years old, and both of them routinely hold at about 12.8 overnight, but I know they will slowly start to fade just like the JK's batteries did.

My goal was to design a high quality, very easy to install dual battery system that will outlast your vehicle, and meet the needs of most offroaders out there. I completely understand that it's impossible to meet all the needs of every customer, so by all means, if you have specific needs or requirements, feel free to tweak away to your heart's content! Or just start with the DIY version of our kit if you'd like to try your hand at a totally custom configuration.

Hope this helps!
-Shane

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
There is a firmware update for that....
yes there is but if the ESS battery is bad or going bad it will continue to pull voltage from the main to equalize voltages between the two, I have read and heard of ways to change the ESS battery and whether you chose to go in from the top or bottom to get to the ESS battery itā€™s still a huge pain

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I will let you read a response from Shane at Genesis offroad about the solenoid disconnecting at 12.7. There has been much discussion. In the end, it's a personal preference.

The only documentation I find from odyssey is 13.6v float on the charger. If it's a daily driver I suppose it matters less. Mine is not a daily driver so it's kept on a smart charger during down time.
What type of smart charger are you using, I currently use an inexpensive Deltran battery tender plus, itā€™s only a maintainer so will this work or should I get something more robust

Here is what I use on my JL with a quick connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_xmMFFb5KFZSTT

Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
What type of smart charger are you using, I currently use an inexpensive Deltran battery tender plus, itā€™s only a maintainer so will this work or should I get something more robust

Here is what I use on my JL with a quick connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_xmMFFb5KFZSTT
Mine is a CTEK Multi US25000 8 step smart charger. I also have a CTEK DS250SA in charge of my 3rd battery in the back because itā€™s the Jeep factory battery which limits absorption to 14.4 so it needs its own manager.

your absorption voltage on this charger is 14.4 which isnā€™t bad but technically never ā€œtops offā€ these Odyssey AGMā€™s. For instance the Jeep JL factory AGM battery recommends no more than 14.4 even though itā€™s an AGM. Still researching that one. odyssey recommends 14.7-15.0max absorption for their AGM batteries.

your float is 13.2 where odyssey is recommending 13.6 float

also I think itā€™s designed for 1 battery at a time. You can always charge the starter and aux separately instead of in parallel.

Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit 4F940844-F852-4F81-8F1A-47DC8DF26E6A

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase

Actually i just looked at another Deltran document. It states that you may use it on multiple batteries up to 200ah. Your two Odyssey batteries are only 130ah so you are well within your limits.

However, this is a 1.25 amp-hour per hour charger. If your batteries are depleted by 80amps, it will take the good part of a week to charge it back up. This Deltran charger will give you a green "fully charged" indicator when it reaches 80% charge capacity which is allowing you to start the engine on whatever it's connected to. It will keep charging but anything over 80 is a green light.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
yes there is but if the ESS battery is bad or going bad it will continue to pull voltage from the main to equalize voltages between the two, I have read and heard of ways to change the ESS battery and whether you chose to go in from the top or bottom to get to the ESS battery itā€™s still a huge pain
It's 20 minutes to get it out from the top if you know what you're doing.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
It's 20 minutes to get it out from the top if you know what you're doing.
I consider myself pretty handy but this is over the top for me yes heā€™s putting in the genesis system but just getting to that ESS battery is BS, I know there are some that say it can be accessed from the wheel well but you have to remove the fender flare and liner which is another headache.

I know changing a battery does not happen very often but changing one should only require a few simple tools but I guess thatā€™s FCAā€˜s way of a poor design location wise, I donā€™t use ESS as I have it bypassed with a Smart Stop/Start module but I know Iā€™m running on borrowed time coming up on 3 years on the factory batteries and even though the Genesis is a pretty pricy investment even if you do it your self when itā€™s time to replace the batteries it appears to be a simpler process than the stock setup plus I will have the peace of mind.

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
I was a bit intimidated doing the install myself but itā€™s very straight forward. I had no issues and was really pleased with the result. Genesis did one of the best jobs Iā€™ve seen of giving the consumer good install information and documentation. I just followed the video instructions. I 100% agree that the Jeep design is very problematic.
Sponsored