Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a neophyte when it comes to electricity. *BUT* with some guidance I usually figure it out *AND* do a great job incouding fit anf finish.

Can you enlighten me as to how the busbar works? Where vehicle power is applied and how you match up + and - of each device on it?

If you ever need help with IT related things happy to reciprocate! LOL
The LUX lights I bought came in a pack of 8 and had no controls. LUX's control box(s) are very expensive ($120 vs $30 for both bus bars). I simply placed the lights where I wanted them and ran the wires to the battery area. Next, I added crimp connectors and attached each of the positive wires to the Red bus bar and the negative wires to the Black one. I then ran one of my AUX Switch power wires to the positive post on the Red bus bar, and grounded the post of the Black bus bar to one of the Jeep's grounding posts.

Extremely easy install. The most challenging part is running the wires and buttoning them up so they didn't flop while driving, and that's actually pretty straight-forward, too. If you don't have AUX Switches, then you'd need to add a switch, or breakdown and buy one of LUX's solutions.

Hope that makes sense!
Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I started a new thread elsewhere, but I'll repeat the question here...

For those that have the (unmodified / as designed) Genesis install... any regrets or problems that have cropped up? I wish to run a fridge on extended trips and do not wish to depend on the weird stock battery setup to not leave me stranded. (it still boggles my mind that the concept made it out of the design meetings at FCA and into production)

Really on the fence because the information here, whilst amazing, is overwhelming for a non-electrical, DIY terrified mod neophyte. Too many seemingly contrary opinions, modifications on top of modifications, lots of cable runs, etc.

I saw the Genesis rig as a relatively simple solution that even an almost-washed-up nuclear dork could figure out without burning down his new baby. (yeah - I didn't do so swell in my circuits labs back at university back when I had a functional brain)

I'd prefer a long-term installed solution, but after blowing my cerebrum sifting through these threads, I am now leaning toward a portable battery thingy to avoid modding the Jeep.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I started a new thread elsewhere, but I'll repeat the question here...

For those that have the (unmodified / as designed) Genesis install... any regrets or problems that have cropped up? I wish to run a fridge on extended trips and do not wish to depend on the weird stock battery setup to not leave me stranded. (it still boggles my mind that the concept made it out of the design meetings at FCA and into production)

Really on the fence because the information here, whilst amazing, is overwhelming for a non-electrical, DIY terrified mod neophyte. Too many seemingly contrary opinions, modifications on top of modifications, lots of cable runs, etc.

I saw the Genesis rig as a relatively simple solution that even an almost-washed-up nuclear dork could figure out without burning down his new baby. (yeah - I didn't do so swell in my circuits labs back at university back when I had a functional brain)

I'd prefer a long-term installed solution, but after blowing my cerebrum sifting through these threads, I am now leaning toward a portable battery thingy to avoid modding the Jeep.
Buy @Genesis Offroad with confidence. You'd simply hook your fridge's power to the accessory terminal on the second battery. If that battery were to be depleted, the electronics preserve the first battery. If that were to happen, the Genesis system has a button that puts the first battery back in play so that you can start your vehicle. Very well designed, and very reliable. Really pleased with my purchase, and couldn't recommend the system more.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Buy @Genesis Offroad with confidence. You'd simply hook your fridge's power to the accessory terminal on the second battery. If that battery were to be depleted, the electronics preserve the first battery. If that were to happen, the Genesis system has a button that puts the first battery back in play so that you can start your vehicle. Very well designed, and very reliable. Really pleased with my purchase, and couldn't recommend the system more.
Appreciate that.

Slept on it again... I decided to hedge my bets and ordered a Goal Zero to run the fridge for now... 20% off so almost affordable.

What ultimately tipped me that way was the fact my Jeep is only 2 months old and I haven't even put gas in it yet thanks to the Plague. Based on many angsty threads on here, I decided it is probably better to give the Jeep a far more significant shake down of systems under warranty before a putz like me starts mucking around with the electrical system beyond maybe tapping into the Aux switches.

As I found with the Sportsmobile forum, this forum is great. Big thanks to all who contribute!!! :captain: I learn a lot - including better understanding my limitations, which are many!! :LOL:

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

I been running this @Genesis Offroad Dual Battery System in our JLU for a few months now. It is a good set up. No more dead battery for me when camping. Thankful I wasn't alone when I was camping in Joshua Tree.

Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I just got an ARB Zero fridge and was thinking I'd just use the accessory plug in the rear cargo area. Trouble is, the fridge goes into battery protection mode within an hour of turning off the engine (stock battery, no mods). This isn't going to work, so I'm probably going to get the Genesis system. My question is...can I continue to use the accessory plug at the rear, or do I need to wire the fridge directly to the accessory terminal on the secondary battery in order for the system to work properly? Does anybody know which battery in the Genesis system is feeding the circuit to the rear cargo area accessory port?

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
I just got an ARB Zero fridge and was thinking I'd just use the accessory plug in the rear cargo area. Trouble is, the fridge goes into battery protection mode within an hour of turning off the engine (stock battery, no mods). This isn't going to work, so I'm probably going to get the Genesis system. My question is...can I continue to use the accessory plug at the rear, or do I need to wire the fridge directly to the accessory terminal on the secondary battery in order for the system to work properly? Does anybody know which battery in the Genesis system is feeding the circuit to the rear cargo area accessory port?
the main battery will continue to feed battery to the rear port. Any accessories you want to additionally add to the secondary battery will have to be wired by you. I wired a separate power source and a separate 12v plug to the back of the Jeep attached to the second battery.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
In addition to what @aml said, try adjusting your settings on the fridge. There are 3 available. 1 is most sensitive, 2 lets the battery drain a little further, and 3 is "dont turn my fridge off ever again mode" ... #3 allows the fridge to run the battery down on a deep cycle AGM. This can be problematic for starting the Jeep after sitting for an extended period.

If the Genesis dual battery is installed there is a button on the top of the kit that will connect both starter and accessory batteries in the event your Jeep wont start. This gives you about 60 seconds to push the button and walk around to start the car. With both batteries connected in parallel it should start unless you drained the accessory battery too.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
In addition to what @aml said, try adjusting your settings on the fridge. There are 3 available. 1 is most sensitive, 2 lets the battery drain a little further, and 3 is "dont turn my fridge off ever again mode" ... #3 allows the fridge to run the battery down on a deep cycle AGM. This can be problematic for starting the Jeep after sitting for an extended period.

If the Genesis dual battery is installed there is a button on the top of the kit that will connect both starter and accessory batteries in the event your Jeep wont start. This gives you about 60 seconds to push the button and walk around to start the car. With both batteries connected in parallel it should start unless you drained the accessory battery too.
Thanks for the info, both you and @aml. I actually confirmed this on the Genesis website. It's one of the FAQ's. Probably shoulda checked there first! I already have the ARB wiring harness and know how to run the wire down the inside of the RH frame rail. I also discovered a plug in the well where the jack lives that I will use to bring the wire into the interior of the Jeep.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info, both you and @aml. I actually confirmed this on the Genesis website. It's one of the FAQ's. Probably shoulda checked there first! I already have the ARB wiring harness and know how to run the wire down the inside of the RH frame rail. I also discovered a plug in the well where the jack lives that I will use to bring the wire into the interior of the Jeep.
Nice! There is also a plug by the brake booster. You can run the wiring under the trim panels inside the Jeep as well for one more option.

Sponsored

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

Nice! There is also a plug by the brake booster. You can run the wiring under the trim panels inside the Jeep as well for one more option.
Just FYI, that plug is only there with an automatic transmission. It isn't available if you have a manual as the clutch mechanism uses that opening.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am debating if I should keep the stock batteries and tray when my genesis kit comes in. I hate having stuff cluttered around the garage that isn’t needed. Any reason not to sell the batteries and tray?

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
I am debating if I should keep the stock batteries and tray when my genesis kit comes in. I hate having stuff cluttered around the garage that isn’t needed. Any reason not to sell the batteries and tray?
I still have mine...I guess if I ever sell it I could revert it back to stock? Hard decision for me.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I gave my main batt away to a buddy with a TJ, and used the lawn mower battery in my wife's quad, they don't get any better sitting around. The battery tray will eventually make its way to the dump for a reunion with both factory bumpers and the entire stock steering/suspension system.
Sponsored