Sponsored

Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Rookie question for a guy who's never owned a Jeep. Why two batteries again? Redundancy, or to support winch, air compressor, etc...?

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Rookie question for a guy who's never owned a Jeep. Why two batteries again? Redundancy, or to support winch, air compressor, etc...?
For me it's going to be for camping purposes so I can run an ARB refrigerator, a medical device and a laptop (off the secondary battery) so that there is enough juice for these accessories to last overnight and also for peace of mind that I'll always be able to start the jeep up again in the morning (off the main battery that is not being used overnight).

Other people have other purposes. Speculating here, but if you use a lot of exterior lights without the engine running, or if you want to use your winch without the engine running, you may want a dual battery kit too.

I think some people also use it for running big audio without the engine running.

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
giphy.gif

You know... to power this stuff... :like:

Prep.jpg

Getting ready for a 4 day trip. :jk:

Sponsored

CaliMat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If you look at the pic you can clearly see two batteries. I doubt they got rid of the smaller aux battery. So yes there are three batteries.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
If you look at the pic you can clearly see two batteries. I doubt they got rid of the smaller aux battery. So yes there are three batteries.
On their facebook page they mentioned they got rid of the smaller aux battery. They said it wasn't a good idea to have lead-acid starter battery types hooked up together with dual purpose/marine batteries. Also those batteries are a bit taller than stock so the new tray goes a bit deeper down.

From what I've been able to research the small aux battery was only used independently during a engine stop/start event to keep the computer and interior operating, when a relay disconnects it from the starter circuit. I think the new secondary battery they put in the kit will be taking over those duties. I suspect the drain on the secondary battery from this operation will be pretty negligible considering how short the stop/start events are.

Of course, I'm going to be shutting off ESS anyways, so it won't matter anyways to me.

There's a diagram here showing how the ESS probably works with the small aux battery.

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/auxiliary-back-batteries-explained/

And I suspect they will be assigning the duties currently being assigned to the small aux to the new full-size secondary.

Of course I don't know for sure and I'm just speculating.

Firecracker Rubi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This was the best engineered modification I did to my JK. I will buy this just because I was so impressed with the JK product.

Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
So what does this Genesis dual battery upgrade cost?

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
What group size for the JL kit?

EDIT: Just watched the video. Group 25 it is.

Pipebndr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Automotive business owner, ASE Master Tech
This is the pricing for the JK,

E23DD594-CBBB-47E3-8C6C-D9B73A901D4A.jpeg
Sponsored