SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
OK sorry if anyone was waiting for this. After the flu I got a bacterial sinus infection so I've been sick for a month and have not felt like working on the Jeep. I'm finally back to normal and I finished the install of the battery tray today.

Props to Genesis off road for his installation video. It's excellent. Check it out if your considering installing the tray.

I'll go over what's different with my install.
jeep95-jpg.jpg

After removing the tray you can easily access the PCR relay. I cut the connector off and left it plugged in the relay if I ever want to go back to stock. I then extended the wires with some heat shrink butt connectors. Next I wrapped the wires in heat resistant tape.
jeep96-jpg.jpg

Here the tray is installed. Note the 3/4" plywood base used to compensate for the shorter group 86 batteries.
jeep97-jpg.jpg

After this step its the same as the install video until you wire up the relays. I completely removed the ESS battery negative cable from the harness. Position 3 wire on the fuse box and both ends of the ESS battery cable I taped up and tucked away. Sorry No pictures of that. I made a new 2 gauge cable that goes from position 1 on the fuse box to the positive terminal of the new accessory battery. I used the cigar lighter fuse with a fuse tap to provide positive power to the new relay(Blue relay wire). It's hot in the accessory and run positions and off in the off position of the ignition switch. I wired the PCR trigger wires to the coil(White relay wire) and coil ground(Black relay wire) positions of the new relay. The red relay wire goes the the positive side of the Cole Hersee relay. The yellow relay wire is not used and I cut it out of the harness.I have a combiner diode between which is entirely pointless. The black wire on the diode goes to my switch panel and a battery boost switch. The accessory position on the Ignition switch provides exactly the same functionality that my battery boost switch on the MLC-6 does. So skip that entirely If you want to copy this setup. Wish i would have thought that out better. Live and learn.
jeep93-jpg-jpg.jpg

Here it is all wired up. Note the IBS and factory ground are on the main battery.
jeep98-jpg.jpg

Everything works as expected. Ignition off and the batteries are isolated. Ignition accessory or ignition on positions and the batteries are combined. I took it for a test drive and did 12 quick ESS stop starts with no issues so this should work for those of you having the 6 cycle limit problem but that might be fixed just by having the IBS on the main battery. I'm not sure how to verify that the batteries are isolated in an ESS stop. I guess I could run some long leads into the cab to test with my multimeter but I think its working properly.

Sorry it took me so long to get this done.
Sponsored

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
Thanks Ed, for taking time to document and post your work and how you've used the Genesis Dual Battery components to DIY.

There's another related thread on modifying the Genesis Dual Battery system to address/avoid the "battery draining" that the Genesis Dual Battery system does. Here's a link as I think anyone reading either thread will want to see the other:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-anyone-with-issues.45582/page-8#post-1035948

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
http://www.genesisoffroad.com/2018-2020-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-DIY-Kit_p_62.html
I ordered this last night and got a ship notification this afternoon. I wanted to go a bit simpler than the standard setup plus its a bit cheaper. My main concern is the stock system is not isolated when the vehicle is off potential greatly reducing battery life especially considering that the 2 batteries are not the same size and make.

Goals:
-Make the Aux and main batteries the same size/model
-Isolate the batteries when the ignition is off
-Retain ESS battery isolation during an ESS event
-Have all accessory loads connected to the aux battery
-Have more power in reserve for winching
-Have the rear 12v outlet run off the aux battery when batteries are isolated

Special thanks to @Jebiruph for all the diagrams you have made. Its making figuring this out a lot easier.

Diagram of my plans(Sorry hand drawn)
jeep91-jpg.jpg

I'm currently planning to use a Cole Hersee 24231 200 amp continuous duty solenoid to Isolate the batteries. I will eliminate the wire from n3 on the PDC fuse bar to the PCR to the Aux battery. Replace N1 to aux positive with a longer cable.Reuse or replace N2 to main positive. Tap a 12v switched ignition source from the fuse box to trigger the battery isolation relay through a secondary normally closed relay that will be triggered by the factory PCR trigger wire. Also going to keep the IBS sensor on the main battery and ground with the aux battery. All add ons will connect to the aux positive.

I've seen that you can make the rear 12v outlet hot all the time by moving a fuse. Does anyone know if this is powered by the aux battery via N1?

I'm also not sure what batteries I'm gonna go with. Most of the group 25's are 550 CCA's and I don't want to go that small.

I'd love to do the Odyssey's but they are expensive. I don't really want to spend that much on a wear item. Exide and Bosch make AGM group 25's with decent CCA's but they are not available to me locally or online plus the Exide has bad reviews. Looking at the Optimas good CCA's and they should fit but will be loose in the tray without a spacer. They also have less than stellar reviews since the factory got moved to Mexico. However I can get a pair shipped for $330. That leaves NAPA Legend 625 CCA's regular lead acid but slightly longer than standard group 25's @ 9.75" currently listed at $112 each + core at my local Napa. Will measure to see if they fit once I get the tray. Anyone know of any other options out there?
Nice work. Do you have a list of parts you used by chance and where they can be sourced? I'm trying to decide which route to go for a dual setup.

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Sure here are the links

Genesis DIY dual battery tray http://www.genesisoffroad.com/2018-2020-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-DIY-Kit_p_62.html
Cole Hersee 24213 200 amp continuous duty relay/isolator https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K2429I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
EPAuto 30/40 amp relay & harness spdt 12V Bosch style you only need one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072QXDZRD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2 gauge battery cables, terminals, & lugs from Battery Cable USA https://www.batterycablesusa.com/ba...6AGjcXFRzr7dQQ2XLym0hHhM1hpW2pQxoCqo8QAvD_BwE
2 Everstart group 86 650 CCA batteries from Walmart

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Just a little FYI on moving the IBS to the cranking battery and putting Aux loads on the Aux battery. Bear in mind my system is different from factory and different from the Genesis system as both batteries are disconnected when the vehicle is off.

Several weeks ago I had an Issue with my system. I left my air compressor on and my sway bar disconnected over a 4 day weekend so 2 electrical loads on my Aux battery. My IBS is on my cranking battery which had a resting voltage of 12.8 volts. My accessory battery was discharged to about 8 volts. this was not obvious when trying to start the vehicle all in cab electrics appeared ok in the accessory position. Once cranked the engine would run for about 2 seconds and stop for 2 seconds cycling on and off constantly. The windshield wipers would come on with the switch in the off position. I also got a fault for every module in the BCM.

Needless to say I was seriously freaked out until I realized I had left loads on over the weekend. from the jeeps behavior(the surging on and off) I suspect the PCR is triggered from the Aux battery and I did not have enough voltage to fully engage the battery isolator. I charged up my aux battery and have had no issues since from components being undervolted. Still I am very disappointed in the way Fiat has chosen to divide up the electronics in JL into separate electrical systems.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Just a little FYI on moving the IBS to the cranking battery and putting Aux loads on the Aux battery. Bear in mind my system is different from factory and different from the Genesis system as both batteries are disconnected when the vehicle is off.

Several weeks ago I had an Issue with my system. I left my air compressor on and my sway bar disconnected over a 4 day weekend so 2 electrical loads on my Aux battery. My IBS is on my cranking battery which had a resting voltage of 12.8 volts. My accessory battery was discharged to about 8 volts. this was not obvious when trying to start the vehicle all in cab electrics appeared ok in the accessory position. Once cranked the engine would run for about 2 seconds and stop for 2 seconds cycling on and off constantly. The windshield wipers would come on with the switch in the off position. I also got a fault for every module in the BCM.

Needless to say I was seriously freaked out until I realized I had left loads on over the weekend. from the jeeps behavior(the surging on and off) I suspect the PCR is triggered from the Aux battery and I did not have enough voltage to fully engage the battery isolator. I charged up my aux battery and have had no issues since from components being undervolted. Still I am very disappointed in the way Fiat has chosen to divide up the electronics in JL into separate electrical systems.
Are you still using this setup and except for the dead aux issue, is it still working for you? Since you're emulating the factory setup, I think you need to use a jumper wire from the main battery to N1 when the aux is dead.

OP
OP
SpookyXJ

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Nope traded the jeep on a truck a few months ago. Never had any further issues with it.

RealMcCoy

First Name
Kevin McCoy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
Yep, moved to the Genesis Dual battery..
Lost the cable connecting to N1 connection cable on N1 on end of fuse box… looking to fabricate a cable to make the connection.
I’m seriously saying must have tossed that cable in the trash.
Is it possible to connect to the accessory battery pos+ to wired to the N1? Looking to use 4 gauge to make connection.
Yea, I'm one of them folks.
Thanks
Sponsored