Sponsored

Generally, at what angle will Jeep roll over?

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
My “Tippy Gauge” in the monitor said this was 30 degrees roll. I got out to see how much lean we were leaning as it felt like a lot inside the Jeep. I took a picture so that I could convince my buddy we weren’t going to go down the hill on our top……LOL

67D0CABE-8BB2-4F58-A1B1-AE89C12B9500.jpeg

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Can she do a 101 class for my wife? She usually just starts making shrill noises in the passenger seat
My wife would spotting by flailing her arms and telling me things like "Go the other way", "turn that one direction", "don't roll over that thing you just went over"
Extremely good at details she is. :facepalm:
I don't leave her responsible for directions either. I literally just wait until I'm close to somewhere and say "Let me know if you see a sign that says ...."

ivanidea

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
Occupation
IT
Back in the TJ days, I recall the rollover angle was around 45°.

My modded TJ was lifted, but also hid wider wheels. I took that to 40° once. Unfortunately, this was in the days before digital cameras were popular.

I used to teach, and the site I used had a bank which was 25°. Land Rover Defenders have a roll over angle of 30°, so many off-road sites in the UK cater for them.

At 25°, my students were terrified the first time I took them over this obstacle.

My rule of thumb is, if I'm still in the seat, then I'm okay.

Sponsored

Cal3san

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2118 3.6L Sport S
There are so many variables to get to that point; weight load, weight distribution, speed, how sharp you turn your wheels, etc.

I was on an LHA in the US Navy in mid-76 in rough seas in the Pacific when we got caught in a trough. We rolled 35 degrees when the published maximum roll was 32 degrees. There were lot of pucked butts; however, we were way low on fuel (suppose to refuel at sea next morning) so popped back up with only some pants to change.

When you get to the point you are saying "Oh Crap" you've found your rollover angle.

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Blood alcohol level is also an important consideration when trying to determine your rollover angle.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine at over 37 deg last weekend.. I was literally vertical.. I thought man if a little grade over what I'm at now.. ugh.. thought about reversing but cut the wheel forward and came off the ledge.. wow.. I could have opened the driver door and fell out onto the ground.

It was def more than the 37 deg I posted earlier. that was some pucker shit.. I just knew I was going to roll but didnt.. I'm not sure anything other than a Jeep could do that.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

I've had ours over 30° several times, with a 2.5" lift on 37's. 30-31 felt like plenty. Lol

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
This is the simplest answer.

To be a bit more specific, the Jeep has a vertical center of gravity. As weight is added to the top or high on the Jeep, the vertical center of gravity will be higher. The tires on the lower side act as a pivot point. Once the roll gets to the point that the vertical center of gravity is outside the pivot point, there's no coming back and it will roll.
For a purely static condition- the center of gravity would have to transfer beyond the center of the tire contact patch on the low side. The JL is a tall vehicle, and a lot of us have lifts, but yet most of the heavy stuff is relatively low- drivetrain, tires, frame so the CG is still relatively low. At 45 degrees I don't think the CG is that close to the tires. Also as the angle increases, the weight transfers to the low side tires and this causes the body to roll more relative to the tires because the springs on the low side will compress. Now any dynamic movements due to driving, turning, bumps will be enough to upset this balance and over you go. So one limiting factor will be the human inside the vehicle, what the human is comfortable with, and what the human is doing.

I've watched people climb steep stuff on trails like Fins and Things, inclines that I think are slightly less than 45 degrees and even on slickrock are at the limit of what the tire traction can do. The same thing would apply on a sideways slope- when you approach 45 degrees you would approach the traction limit of the tires and start to slide down the incline.

For the people reporting 37 degrees, I'm sure that feels like serious tilt.

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Low 20s and all I can think about is how I’m gonna try to explain this to my insurance. Not my idea of a good time.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
This is how vertical you can get.. wanna hold that? lol.. I understand because everything was getting tossed when I had mine at that angle.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Ok, it took a while but I figured out how to determine at what angle your Jeep will roll over. Just use the below formula:

All you have to do is solve for N, where ln equals your driving ability, b equals the height of the hill you are on, and p equals the amount of balls you have to drive on it. Now just divide by i which is your current rate of speed in excess of a slow crawl, and you’ll have the answer. I came up with 27 degrees.

Jeep Wrangler JL Generally, at what angle will Jeep roll over? 762F3139-5407-4267-8098-A007B77A70FC
Sponsored