SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

I was curious how similar or different are these two sets of shocks in terms of on-road comfort and drivability. I know that both have high pressure gas charged monotube shock absorbers with MTV technology with the Rubicon adding the hydraulic rebound stop. I am interested in possibly replacing the springs and shocks from my Sahara with some take off Rubicon coils and shocks (preferably from a steel bumper/tow package Rubicon) for a mild lift. My question is if I do this, will the on-road drivability be the same, slightly better, or slightly worse than my Sahara? For reference, I have steel bumpers (front and back) and take-off Rubicon wheels and tires (33" KO2). Thanks!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Sahara shocks are indeed softer, but you will be hard pressed to tell much difference. You are more likely to feel the difference in the tires than anything else.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I will let you know; we are having it done tomorrow on my wife’s Sahara, with the takeoffs from my Rubicon.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, the Fox shocks on the Mopar lift are much better than either OE shocks, on Sahara or Rubicon.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCal JLUS

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

BTW, the Fox shocks on the Mopar lift are much better than the OE shocks, on Sahara or Rubicon.
Unsure of this, but are these Fox shocks much more expensive than buying take-offs? Not to mention are these available for purchase separately?

OP
OP
SoCal JLUS

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

BTW, the Fox shocks on the Mopar lift are much better than the OE shocks, on Sahara or Rubicon.
Also, since the goal of all of this is achieving a mild lift at a small cost, would adding Rubicon springs and Fox shocks have the same result?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Also, since the goal of all of this is achieving a mild lift at a small cost, would adding Rubicon springs and Fox shocks have the same result?
The Mopar springs are much taller than Rubicon’s; I don’t know if the spring rates are different, though. My guess is yes, they are.

OP
OP
SoCal JLUS

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

The Mopar springs are much taller than Rubicon’s; I don’t know if the spring rates are different, though. My guess is is yes, they are.
I would love an official Mopar lift but that is waaay out of my budget. Best price I saw on that is around $1,800 and change for my 2.0L. Hence the take-offs which can be had for $400 or less and provides a mild lift.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I would love an official Mopar lift but that is waaay out of my budget. Best price I saw on that is around $1,800 and change for my 2.0L.
I’ve seen them lower than that. But, yes, often times the Mopar lift requires a series to aftermarket tweaks to get it to handle well, adding to the expense. The ride quality is excellent, though.

Besides, the Mopar lift gains you so much height, that you will feel pressured into getting 35s...getting you farther into that rabbit hole.

For what you want, I think you are going the right way.

PS: you might find a set of narrower, taller 275/70R18 KO2s on the Sahara rims might ride slightly better than the wider, squatter Rubicon tires.

OP
OP
SoCal JLUS

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

I’ve seen them lower than that. But, yes, often times the Mopar lift requires a series to aftermarket tweaks to get it to handle well. The ride quality is excellent, though.

Besides, the Mopar lift gains you so much height, that you will feel pressured into getting 35s...getting you farther into that rabbit hole.

For what you want, I think you are going the right way.

Only thing is: you might find a set of narrower, taller 275/70R18 KO2s on the Sahara rims might ride slightly better than those the wider, squatter Rubicon tires.
Lol, already blew my tire budget with the KO2 take-offs along with selling off the stock 18" wheels and tires! Thanks for your guidance on the shocks. Now to continue scouring the Suspension Sale thread for something in SoCal.
Sponsored