General observation.... 75% aluminum body

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
We will still have to deal with corrosion, all those dissimilar metals, 12/48 volts, road salt and moisture. How to protect against corrosion, what does Tesla do..
It sounds like you’re really overestimating the effects of galvanic corrosion on the body panels. You avoid corrosion by keeping the paint on the vehicle.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
We will still have to deal with corrosion, all those dissimilar metals, 12/48 volts, road salt and moisture. How to protect against corrosion, what does Tesla do..
So ya got me wondering what mag chloride does to Al since Colo is all happy on that shit....it doesn't look good, with one study concluding their Al coupon lost 35% of it ultimate tensile strength - the most of any of the coupons in their test

If anyone wants to geek out w big science words:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221450951730030X

When I was kid they just used sand. Aside from broken windshields, worked GREAT!

Honestly I don't want them to use anything. Just plow and our abundance of sunshine in Colo does the rest. In the meantime, learn to drive.....

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Questioning aluminum alloy being called “aluminum” is silly.
Most all modern metals are alloys.
It’s like saying steel isn’t “steel” because it contains chromium or molybdenum.
Lots of aluminum alloys. Depending on what is desired or needed.
Malleability, toughness, hardness, economy.
Don’t know, but I’m guessing Jeep door skin doesn’t need to be 6061 or 7075. Rifle receivers, otoh, do need to be made of such high grade stuff.
Beer can aluminum is, on the other hand, probably not up to the task of making durable Jeep doors.

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
Our Wrangler fits right in with my aluminum F-150. Coming up on 5 years old and not a single complaint.

Wish tho that FCA could have learned from Ford on how to make door skins that are not wavy. Both vehicles are black and the F-150’s doors look like you’re looking at glass. Not so with the Wrangler.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Our Wrangler fits right in with my aluminum F-150. Coming up on 5 years old and not a single complaint.

Wish tho that FCA could have learned from Ford on how to make door skins that are not wavy. Both vehicles are black and the F-150’s doors look like you’re looking at glass. Not so with the Wrangler.
That's just a byproduct of having to make the wrangler doors flat.Practically every other vehicle on the road has curved doors.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Questioning aluminum alloy being called “aluminum” is silly.
Most all modern metals are alloys.
It’s like saying steel isn’t “steel” because it contains chromium or molybdenum.
Lots of aluminum alloys. Depending on what is desired or needed.
Malleability, toughness, hardness, economy.
Don’t know, but I’m guessing Jeep door skin doesn’t need to be 6061 or 7075. Rifle receivers, otoh, do need to be made of such high grade stuff.
Beer can aluminum is, on the other hand, probably not up to the task of making durable Jeep doors.
Steel is a bad example. It is inherently an alloy - carbon and iron. Pure steel is not a thing.

Your point stands.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Good post OP, I didn't realize our JLs had that many AL body panels, I hadn't bothered to look into it. AL is mostly a good thing, it's good to keep these things lighter and more rust-resistant.

Only downside is they dent easier than steel and are harder to repair (ex body man here). If I wreck this JL and repair it myself I'd probably just replace the whole panel anyway, so not the end of the world.

And yes, the wavy doors make my OCD brain triggered...haha

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
It's Festivus for the rest of us. Now we share our grievances with each other! I'll start, get a job.
let the feats of strength commence....

Sponsored

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Within the first week or two of owning my JL I had about 4 different people tell me I should buy some of that magnetic armor to help protect the paint on the trails. All four of these guys I'd consider "Jeep People" and one had actually owned his JLU for about a year at that point. So no, I would say you're certainly not alone.
WOOOWWW...I had all forgotten about all the scratches I got on my first trail ride until now.

Thank you. You suck.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
That's just a byproduct of having to make the wrangler doors flat.Practically every other vehicle on the road has curved doors.
It's a byproduct of the jig they use to install the hinges being off. The panel can actually be flattened by loosening the hinge bolts and relieving the flex while on the Jeep, but you will destroy the paint. One of the early video reviews of the JL went into this...

dbudday

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I know that the door have an outer skin that can be replaced...I am wondering if the inner door is aluminum as well or if it's just skinned with aluminum - causing the issue on the doors...as well as the hinges.

I was told from the dealer - that if they hinges and parts were all painted before assembly - this, more than likely, wouldn't be a big issue. My 2020 is having all 4 doors/hinges, hood and tailgate replaced under the warranty - and they said on the repaint - they 100% paint ALL parts first - then assemble -keeping the bare metals apart...
Sponsored