DVLDOG-USMC

First Name
CL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko Green JLU & 2014 Dodge Challenger
You don't want to know what they had to do to get it. 😉
So I happen to be the "hapless" new owner of the magical Gecko JL ha! I have to say it was pure luck how I got it. I read the article in Moparinsiders saying a dealer in Michigan claims to have a Gecko JL. I called at 9pm on a Thursday, asked them to confirm they had it and I immediately put a deposit on it. I asked how in the world do they have that color on a JL. The salesman said the owner of the dealership has connections at Jeep and asked if they could produce a JL in Gecko as it was a very popular color. The owner said he wanted to see what the reaction would be. It never technically went on the lot as I bought it the night before. The dealer was excited to sell it to me and helped me out as they appreciate Veterans at their dealerships!
Sponsored

DVLDOG-USMC

First Name
CL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just can’t figure out why/how they apparently built exactly one (1) gecko JL and then stopped. There is one... in the whole world.
I have to say I don't mind holding that title for now! Its an oddball Jeep until more Geckos come out! I am being asked everywhere I go how did I get that color!

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
So I happen to be the "hapless" new owner of the magical Gecko JL ha! I have to say it was pure luck how I got it. I read the article in Moparinsiders saying a dealer in Michigan claims to have a Gecko JL. I called at 9pm on a Thursday, asked them to confirm they had it and I immediately put a deposit on it. I asked how in the world do they have that color on a JL. The salesman said the owner of the dealership has connections at Jeep and asked if they could produce a JL in Gecko as it was a very popular color. The owner said he wanted to see what the reaction would be. It never technically went on the lot as I bought it the night before. The dealer was excited to sell it to me and helped me out as they appreciate Veterans at their dealerships!
Glad they didn't hold out on you, I was hoping they didn't hammer you with big premiums for the only Gecko JL.

Or worse. 😉 Reading the delivery forums and people are getting pretty desperate!

Good to know they took care of you. That Altitude is really nice, the color with the black accents really looks great. I'm trying to convince the SO to sell her 2017 Sahara and order an Altitude, of course she won't go near Gecko, but it really looks like a great package and perfect for her.

Rcarpen22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘67 CJ5, ‘20 JLU
I have to say I don't mind holding that title for now! Its an oddball Jeep until more Geckos come out! I am being asked everywhere I go how did I get that color!
You’re carrying the torch for everyone. It’s a big responsibility! We appreciate the pictures😁

DVLDOG-USMC

First Name
CL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad they didn't hold out on you, I was hoping they didn't hammer you with big premiums for the only Gecko JL.

Or worse. 😉 Reading the delivery forums and people are getting pretty desperate!

Good to know they took care of you. That Altitude is really nice, the color with the black accents really looks great. I'm trying to convince the SO to sell her 2017 Sahara and order an Altitude, of course she won't go near Gecko, but it really looks like a great package and perfect for her.
The dealer was great! And I was out of state so they handled everything. Had it shipped home and been enjoying it since. The Altitude package is really nice! Big upgrade from my 2012 Gecko JK!

Sponsored

Rcarpen22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘67 CJ5, ‘20 JLU
Big upgrade from my 2012 Gecko JK!
Can you opine on the differences in the color/paint from your 2012? I know folks have made comments about the difference. To me, it looks like your JL just has a deeper finish than previous generations of gecko.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
Can you opine on the differences in the color/paint from your 2012? I know folks have made comments about the difference. To me, it looks like your JL just has a deeper finish than previous generations of gecko.
Yeah, it's either the paint/clearcoat improved, or phone cameras did....

DVLDOG-USMC

First Name
CL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have seen people asking if it has a pearl finish, it says Gecko pearl coat but I don't see any pearl in it. I had a Grand Cherokee with a pearl finish and that I could see. The paint quality is a huge improvement since my 2012 Gecko. It does seem to be a shade darker, like a richer green.

Sponsored

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Hey there Devildog - thanks for your service.
I was wondering - could you post a photo from the side, showing the hinges & hinge bolts please? Maybe a close-up with the hinges & bolts filling the frame?

I'm working on a bill of materials for a half door order, that I'll need to get painted Gecko, and wanted to see how it looks factory. Thanks!