Sponsored

Gears vs axle shaft - buy which one?

First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2019
Question, I’m running 37“ Patagonia (so they are on the lighter side of the tire spectrum) On a JLU sport but About to change axles to Rubicon axle with 4.10 Gears I have an A/T so I’m stuck in the middle because budget right now is just for one of the 2
Yukon 5.13 gears or
RCV axles shaft with fad delete

what would you do first.? Axles are getting truss and c gusset before going under the jeep
Sponsored

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Question, I’m running 37“ Patagonia (so they are on the lighter side of the tire spectrum) On a JLU sport but About to change axles to Rubicon axle with 4.10 Gears I have an A/T so I’m stuck in the middle because budget right now is just for one of the 2
Yukon 5.13 gears or

what would you do first.? Axles are getting truss and c gusset before going under the jeep
What are you going to use your Jeep for the most? I just got mine back and went 5.13s before addressing RCVs. I think it depends more on what/how you wheel, and what your driving habits are. 5.13s put the power back and would be more important to me.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Yukon 5.13 gears or

Are you frequently wheelin hard living in Tampa? Are you staying on 37s for awhile? Many folks are wheelin 37s on stock rubicon axles with auto transmission and 4.10 gears with no issues. I'd save the $ spent on trussing if you're not going bigger than 37s. To answer your question...on 37s, I'd regear before trussing and RCV's.

OP
OP
First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2019
What are you going to use your Jeep for the most? I just got mine back and went 5.13s before addressing RCVs. I think it depends more on what/how you wheel, and what your driving habits are. 5.13s put the power back and would be more important to me.
Will be mud most of the time and a some small rocks since I’m in FL but will be traveling to Alabama, TN and SC next year

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2019
Are you frequently wheelin hard living in Tampa? Are you staying on 37s for awhile? Many folks are wheelin 37s on stock rubicon axles with auto transmission and 4.10 gears with no issues. I'd save the $ spent on trussing if you're not going bigger than 37s. To answer your question...on 37s, I'd regear before trussing and RCV's.
Thinking on jumping to 38x13.5 or 39”

OP
OP
First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2019
You likely don’t need to do either if you’re mostly florida wheeler.
I understand but we go to Windrock couple times a year for a week and planning couple more trips to SC and Alabama

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Well, to save some time and money, here’s something to think about. If you are doing gussets and truss, the axle should be torn down to bare housings. The heat from the welding will kill the seals. That’s an easy time to swap gears. The axle shafts can be added later very easily.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Are there outer tube seals on these axles? If not, welding a truss shouldn't be an issue for inner axle seals. Now, knuckle gussets could cause an issue with the ball joints if you weld them up with the knuckles attached.
My inner axle seals were torched when the truss was welded on since the Artec truss is welded right where the axle tubes meet the carrier housing.

4B32A9BB-F286-411B-AE63-A47DD8136907.jpeg

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I'm not convinced welding to the center cast section is desirable.
I understand, but I've seen it work "fine" in prior builds. I didn't do the welding this time, so I wasn't surprised to see it all welded when I picked up the Jeep. When I previously welded mild to cast, I did all the heating. Yes, there would be tiny cracks eventually (in the weld and not the HAZ, just like what you've seen), but I felt that strength increase was still worth it. I've heard both sides of this issue and both sides have a good argument. So.....not sure what I'd do next time.....

OP
OP
First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2019
I have the truss and c gussets already do that will be on and I’m not really concern for Fl is more for when we go up to TN, SC,NC and Alabama Wichita we try to make at least one full week a quarter next year
Sponsored