Sponsored

Gear whine on coasting after regear to 4.88s. Shop is claiming its a "driver comfort issue" and that it's normal. This can't be normal.

dlporter

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
At this point they keep telling me it’s likely a bearing. But it’s had 2 full kits in it and still whines. I’m thinking as well that they’re missing something. It definitely has to do with the diff though because it wasn’t like that before they started working on it.
Well, my saga continues. Had all of the bearings replaced in my rear diff today. Still making the same noise. No improvement. I did, however, find out that the shop that’s been dealing with my Jeep has been relying on Randy’s Ring and Pinion tech support to get setup specs. He mentions in passing when i picked up my Jeep today that he got the pinion set up to 24 in-lbs, and got the backlash at 7.5 thousandths. I told him that 24 in-lbs is too much and showed him the Yukon set up specs that clearly state 12-19 in-lbs for a D44 JL rear axle. Randy’s told him to use 22-33 in-lbs and ”set it up like a JK”. I’m so pissed right now. I’m about ready to just order axle housing assemblies from Mopar and move my chromoly shafts over to them. Just go back to factory 4.10s and give up.
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Well, my saga continues. Had all of the bearings replaced in my rear diff today. Still making the same noise. No improvement. I did, however, find out that the shop that’s been dealing with my Jeep has been relying on Randy’s Ring and Pinion tech support to get setup specs. He mentions in passing when i picked up my Jeep today that he got the pinion set up to 24 in-lbs, and got the backlash at 7.5 thousandths. I told him that 24 in-lbs is too much And showed him the Yukon set up specs that clearly state 12-19 in-lbs for a D44 JL rear axle. Randy’s told him to use 22-33 in-lbs and ”set it up like a JK”. I’m so pissed right now. I’m about ready to just order axle housing assemblies from Mopar and move my chromoly shafts over to them. Just go back to factory 4.10s and give up.
Shit, mine was just dropped off at Randy’s yesterday. I’m not going to sleep well now.

I just noticed both have the same address. Are they part of the same company?

edit2: yup, same company. Along with USA Standard Gear and Zumbrota Drivetrain. Seems like something got lost in translation at the shop. I find it hard to believe Yukon/Randy’s would get their own product wrong.

Last edited:

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Well, my saga continues. Had all of the bearings replaced in my rear diff today. Still making the same noise. No improvement. I did, however, find out that the shop that’s been dealing with my Jeep has been relying on Randy’s Ring and Pinion tech support to get setup specs. He mentions in passing when i picked up my Jeep today that he got the pinion set up to 24 in-lbs, and got the backlash at 7.5 thousandths. I told him that 24 in-lbs is too much and showed him the Yukon set up specs that clearly state 12-19 in-lbs for a D44 JL rear axle. Randy’s told him to use 22-33 in-lbs and ”set it up like a JK”. I’m so pissed right now. I’m about ready to just order axle housing assemblies from Mopar and move my chromoly shafts over to them. Just go back to factory 4.10s and give up.
24 inch lbs is definitely too much, according to revolutions and mopars specs. But when I had my bearings replaced they set mine within spec (I forgot the exact number he told me but it was correct) and they set my backlash at 10 which is on the tighter end of the spectrum within spec. After that mine still whines as well. I don’t think the bearings and setup are the issue at this point since we’ve both had new bearings installed and likely they’ve tried a variation of setup specs between both of us. I’m with you man, I’m about to just say F it and run the setup until I can get my hands on a new axle unless they can work out a deal with me to refund me and install Dana spicer gears. I bet your jeep is one of the other cases my revolution rep has been talking to me about. Anyway, keep me updated maybe we can work this out together. I’m about to do the 500 mile service after the second setup so hopefully I can break new ground in this issue soon.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Shit, mine was just dropped off at Randy’s yesterday. I’m not going to sleep well now.

I just noticed both have the same address. Are they part of the same company?

edit2: yup, same company. Along with USA Standard Gear and Zumbrota Drivetrain. Seems like something got lost in translation at the shop. I find it hard to believe Yukon/Randy’s would get their own product wrong.
Hopefully you went with Dana spicer gears. If they’re doing revolution call them now and tell them to stop.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Hopefully you went with Dana spicer gears. If they’re doing revolution call them now and tell them to stop.
Randy’s sells/is Yukon. I think I left that detail out. I’m getting Yukon 5.13’s installed. The JL does have different setup specs than the JK, but I’ve got a good bit of faith in the install team now that I know it is there own product.

dlporter

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Randy’s sells/is Yukon. I think I left that detail out. I’m getting Yukon 5.13’s installed. The JL does have different setup specs than the JK, but I’ve got a good bit of faith in the install team now that I know it is there own product.
I would have thought that they would get it right on mine as well. I have Yukon gears and rebuild kits. When my installer, who sells and installs Yukon only, called Randy’s and told them he was working on a 2020 JL unlimited rubicon rear axle, they told him 22-33 in-lbs and to set it up like a JK. 22-33 in-lbs isn’t even the spec for a JK, so I don’t know where that range came from, or who’s giving bad info anymore. I can say for certain that I’m not going back to this shop again. They have had two opportunities to fix this issue and have not been successful. Add in the near constant miscommunication and I’ve lost faith in them to correctly do the job.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I would have thought that they would get it right on mine as well. I have Yukon gears and rebuild kits. When my installer, who sells and installs Yukon only, called Randy’s and told them he was working on a 2020 JL unlimited rubicon rear axle, they told him 22-33 in-lbs and to set it up like a JK. 22-33 in-lbs isn’t even the spec for a JK, so I don’t know where that range came from, or who’s giving bad info anymore. I can say for certain that I’m not going back to this shop again. They have had two opportunities to fix this issue and have not been successful. Add in the near constant miscommunication and I’ve lost faith in them to correctly do the job.
The support guy did seem cranky. But his customer was upset he couldn’t tell whether the customer’s axle was an LsD or not, with no info beyond make/model. I think the guy on the other end even offered up a color like that would help. Eventually they got a VIN out of the guy. Sorry, side story over.
I think the guys in the shop won’t need support, which is why I’m not worried now. Just all the normal things that can go wrong, like accepting my vehicle for an appointment made 2 months ago when they still don’t have parts on hand. Hopefully they were talking about someone else.

dlporter

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’m back with an update on mine. As previously posted I had a local transmission and driveline shop install Yukon 4.88s in March of last year. The rear started making noise earlier this year. I spent a few months taking the guy for a test drive to let him hear the sound and he kept insisting he didn’t hear anything. Finally in May, I convinced him to rebuild the rear diff with new gears and bearings. It took him a month to do it, and when I picked it up, I found out he re-used the old bearings. The noise was worse, and I was pissed. I took it back and told him to replace all the bearings. He did, and when I picked it up he told me he took the pinion preload to some value in the mid 20s (24 in-lbs I think). I told him that was too high and showed him the setup specs from yukon…and I was even more pissed.

Fast forward to this weekend. I took my Jeep to Northridge 4x4 in WA to have a shop that works primarily on Jeeps look at it and re-gear it. They tore into it and oh boy did the local shop mechanic not appear to have a clue what he was doing. Everything was out of spec in both diffs. Backlash, pinion depth, and gear patterns looked terrible. They swapped out everything, I went to 5.13s in the process, and I can report that this issue is now resolved. My diff runs quiet again.

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’m back with an update on mine. As previously posted I had a local transmission and driveline shop install Yukon 4.88s in March of last year. The rear started making noise earlier this year. I spent a few months taking the guy for a test drive to let him hear the sound and he kept insisting he didn’t hear anything. Finally in May, I convinced him to rebuild the rear diff with new gears and bearings. It took him a month to do it, and when I picked it up, I found out he re-used the old bearings. The noise was worse, and I was pissed. I took it back and told him to replace all the bearings. He did, and when I picked it up he told me he took the pinion preload to some value in the mid 20s (24 in-lbs I think). I told him that was too high and showed him the setup specs from yukon…and I was even more pissed.

Fast forward to this weekend. I took my Jeep to Northridge 4x4 in WA to have a shop that works primarily on Jeeps look at it and re-gear it. They tore into it and oh boy did the local shop mechanic not appear to have a clue what he was doing. Everything was out of spec in both diffs. Backlash, pinion depth, and gear patterns looked terrible. They swapped out everything, I went to 5.13s in the process, and I can report that this issue is now resolved. My diff runs quiet again.
Wow, what a nightmare. This is exactly why I bought a press and did the job myself.

Sponsored

dlporter

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wow, what a nightmare. This is exactly why I bought a press and did the job myself.
I would have loved to try and do the job myself, but I couldn’t justify buying all the tools for essentially one use. Plus, I didn’t particularly want the first time I try it to be on my daily driver. I’m just glad it’s over.

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon

Do you like the 513’s better than the 488’s? It’s not much of a change but I’m wondering if you noticed the difference

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Do you like the 513’s better than the 480 eights? It’s not much of a change but I’m wondering if you noticed the difference
I noticed--particularly at altitude. The gears no longer drag out like they did with 4.88.

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
Well I just decided to pull the trigger and order the Spicer 4.88's. I want to go to a 2.5 Clayton lift and 37" Nitto's but that won't be till spring or a bit longer so I didn't want to go 5.13's and be on 35" for 8 months. Hope I made the right choice.

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I just did a regear to 5.13 for my 2021 JLUR last week. Everything is ok except that when coasting between 8-10 mph I can clearly hear the gear rotational humming sound. Is this something I need to address immediately and can wait till 500 mile checkup to resolve? @chevymitchell , any suggestions? Everyone's answer and especially yours have been super helpful, thank you all!
Sponsored