Sponsored

Gear whine on coasting after regear to 4.88s. Shop is claiming its a "driver comfort issue" and that it's normal. This can't be normal.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
The RTV was at the flange end of the axle, they might have added some, still don’t know why and then just jammed it in before it cured
Ah… very weird then. Shouldn’t be any on that end. The great mysteries of the oil fill tech continue. Lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Alright, got a bit of an update. They've had the jeep since saturday and called this afternoon with an update. They swapped in a new set of Revolution gears and had the same issue. They were on the phone with Revolution directly and sending them pictures of the pattern and setup specs on the new set, and I think they're coming to the conclusion that these might be a part of a faulty batch of ring and pinions from Revolution, to which the manufacturer seems to agree.

They can't get their hands on new gears until the end of the month and are now suggesting Motive gears which are $100 more expensive per set than the Revs were (I think they're covering this, or at least all the labor). They said they prefer these and don't deal with Yukon and were unsure we could get our hands on Spicers any sooner, but if I were to source an R&P myself from Yukon or Spicer they'd deduct the gear part charge and put those in. I feel like I'd rather stay with a company they deal with the most unless there's some red flag reason not to go with Motive.

They're having me pick the jeep back up and daily it until the new set comes in around Labor Day weekend.

Bummer I'm going to basically have to break in three sets of gears by the time I get this thing running, and I've got a wheeling trip into the sierras set for Labor Day weekend, so I hope these will hold up for that and whatever else I may end up in. Very bummer situation all around that I'm sort of stuck in this gear paradox.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Alright, got a bit of an update. They've had the jeep since saturday and called this afternoon with an update. They swapped in a new set of Revolution gears and had the same issue. They were on the phone with Revolution directly and sending them pictures of the pattern and setup specs on the new set, and I think they're coming to the conclusion that these might be a part of a faulty batch of ring and pinions from Revolution, to which the manufacturer seems to agree.

They can't get their hands on new gears until the end of the month and are now suggesting Motive gears which are $100 more expensive per set than the Revs were (I think they're covering this, or at least all the labor). They said they prefer these and don't deal with Yukon and were unsure we could get our hands on Spicers any sooner, but if I were to source an R&P myself from Yukon or Spicer they'd deduct the gear part charge and put those in. I feel like I'd rather stay with a company they deal with the most unless there's some red flag reason not to go with Motive.

They're having me pick the jeep back up and daily it until the new set comes in around Labor Day weekend.

Bummer I'm going to basically have to break in three sets of gears by the time I get this thing running, and I've got a wheeling trip into the sierras set for Labor Day weekend, so I hope these will hold up for that and whatever else I may end up in. Very bummer situation all around that I'm sort of stuck in this gear paradox.
A quick check over to Quadratec and they have 4.88 and 5.13 d44 front and rear gear sets in stock.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dana-spicer/dana-44-front-ring-pinion-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt/5.13

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dana-spicer/dana-44-rear-ring-pinion-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt/5.13

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer

I'm really holding back what I would like to say, save it for the campfire type of thing, but "batches" of R&P's don't really happen. They're hammer forged then machined down to where the ring and pinion become a matched set. I can say, in the last 18 years or so, I can count on one hand how many bad R&P sets I've come across. (All have been foreign material in the metal causing them to break.) It's almost always an installer issue that is almost always diagnosed as a bad ring and pinion.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gear whine on coasting after regear to 4.88s. Shop is claiming its a "driver comfort issue" and that it's normal. This can't be normal. 1620838498643

Make sure they're changing the ring and pinion as a set and ask to make sure they don't damage the pinion head bearing and small carrier bearing if they're re-using them.

However... I've never used Revolution gear sets. So, I'll remain reserved and hope for the best outcome for your situation. It sounds like they're doing you right, which is nice to hear.

Thanks for keeping the thread up to date as your experience continues.

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm really holding back what I would like to say, save it for the campfire type of thing, but "batches" of R&P's don't really happen. They're hammer forged then machined down to where the ring and pinion become a matched set. I can say, in the last 18 years or so, I can count on one hand how many bad R&P sets I've come across. (All have been foreign material in the metal causing them to break.) It's almost always an installer issue that is almost always diagnosed as a bad ring and pinion.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gear whine on coasting after regear to 4.88s. Shop is claiming its a "driver comfort issue" and that it's normal. This can't be normal. 1620838498643

Make sure they're changing the ring and pinion as a set and ask to make sure they don't damage the pinion head bearing and small carrier bearing if they're re-using them.

However... I've never used Revolution gear sets. So, I'll remain reserved and hope for the best outcome for your situation. It sounds like they're doing you right, which is nice to hear.

Thanks for keeping the thread up to date as your experience continues.

So at this point I've resorted to going to another shop and paying twice to get a proper regear done. This is my only vehicle, and after talking to Revolution directly and getting a second opinion at another shop, it's clear that I'm being fed some very questionable reasoning by the original shop and everyone is unanimous in saying that it's wild for them to tell me that this is a "driver comfort issue" and "higher gear ratios sound more like straight cut gears", and that I shouldn't be driving this thing with a diff making these noises, let alone for an entire month as suggested by the original shop before they're willing to try another gearset or attempt to set it up again.

The shop I'm having issue with is Brothers 4x4 in Montclair CA. I haven't confronted them yet, but after taking to Revolution they're denying the gears are defective, confirming that I shouldn't drive it in its current state, and are being very reserved with their words but ultimately are saying talked to the shop and got a bad taste regarding their ability to resolve the issue.

I'm dropping it off Monday to another shop who will be opening it up and attempting to re-shim the existing setup, provided the gears aren't damaged from the ~100 miles I've put on, if the gears look questionable I'm going with dana spicers. I hope to be able to get a refund and amicable resolution from Brothers and if not, we'll have to go another route on this. Priority one, getting my only vehicle out from under this mess.

I'm stunned that this is happening and that the only resolution from the shop would be to wait a month and then try another brand of gears. Meanwhile this new setup makes almost like a cicada-type noise when under acceleration and the whine under decel as in the original video indicative of a mesh that's too tight. The new shop was bewildered they'd suggest this is perfectly fine to let out into the world.

fjavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2020 JLUR 3.6 auto, 335 bmw
So at this point I've resorted to going to another shop and paying twice to get a proper regear done. This is my only vehicle, and after talking to Revolution directly and getting a second opinion at another shop, it's clear that I'm being fed some very questionable reasoning by the original shop and everyone is unanimous in saying that it's wild for them to tell me that this is a "driver comfort issue" and "higher gear ratios sound more like straight cut gears", and that I shouldn't be driving this thing with a diff making these noises, let alone for an entire month as suggested by the original shop before they're willing to try another gearset or attempt to set it up again.

The shop I'm having issue with is Brothers 4x4 in Montclair CA. I haven't confronted them yet, but after taking to Revolution they're denying the gears are defective, confirming that I shouldn't drive it in its current state, and are being very reserved with their words but ultimately are saying talked to the shop and got a bad taste regarding their ability to resolve the issue.

I'm dropping it off Monday to another shop who will be opening it up and attempting to re-shim the existing setup, provided the gears aren't damaged from the ~100 miles I've put on, if the gears look questionable I'm going with dana spicers. I hope to be able to get a refund and amicable resolution from Brothers and if not, we'll have to go another route on this. Priority one, getting my only vehicle out from under this mess.

I'm stunned that this is happening and that the only resolution from the shop would be to wait a month and then try another brand of gears. Meanwhile this new setup makes almost like a cicada-type noise when under acceleration and the whine under decel as in the original video indicative of a mesh that's too tight. The new shop was bewildered they'd suggest this is perfectly fine to let out into the world.
Did you resolve your regearing issue and if you did, would you recommend the shop you took it to? I also live in Los Angles and I am looking at a few places for my regearing. Currently, I am looking at these 6 shops:
  • Offroad Customz (Glendale)
  • Crunch Offroad (Temple City)
  • Saint Offroad (Glendora)
  • RockTech Offroad (La Habra).
  • Premier West Gears (Riverside)
  • Mobile Gear Installers (Corona) * I believe premier and mobile are related.
I would be curious who you used. Thanks!!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

Did you pay the first shop by credit card? [Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread]. If so, I'd get them involved before resigning yourself to paying twice.

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you resolve your regearing issue and if you did, would you recommend the shop you took it to? I also live in Los Angles and I am looking at a few places for my regearing. Currently, I am looking at these 6 shops:
  • Offroad Customz (Glendale)
  • Crunch Offroad (Temple City)
  • Saint Offroad (Glendora)
  • RockTech Offroad (La Habra).
  • Premier West Gears (Riverside)
  • Mobile Gear Installers (Corona) * I believe premier and mobile are related.
I would be curious who you used. Thanks!!
I used Offroad Customz in Glendale. Great guys over there and they took care of me quickly. They're usually booked a couple weeks out but if you can leave the rig with them for a couple days they will fit it in faster. If you go tell them Jesse with the 2 door white JL sent you!

I've heard good things about Premiere West and Mobile Gear also. Glendale is just so much closer to me after many trips back and forth from Brothers 4x4. It was a bummer to pay again but I really needed the jeep back and functional as it's my only vehicle, so I was pretty much forced into it. I'm glad I found a shop to handle it quickly though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you pay the first shop by credit card? [Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread]. If so, I'd get them involved before resigning yourself to paying twice.
All cash unfortunately. I went back and tried to get my money back and all they'd give me was $200 out of the $780 I paid. They kept blaming the gear company and the gear company only - and also mentioned they had another noisy gear issue with a different customer's JL. I would stay away from them for regear.

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
All cash unfortunately. I went back and tried to get my money back and all they'd give me was $200 out of the $780 I paid. They kept blaming the gear company and the gear company only - and also mentioned they had another noisy gear issue with a different customer's JL. I would stay away from them for regear.
Well if nothing else, you learned a lesson about always paying with a credit card. Cash is not always king.

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well if nothing else, you learned a lesson about always paying with a credit card. Cash is not always king.
For sure. Prices are a bit higher with credit card at shops around here but I certainly paid for my new regear via credit this time.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I just had mine done about 2 weeks ago. Revolution 4.88 gears. They were quiet at first but today I started to notice the same whine on decel. I can only hear it at like 25 mph and under till I stop. And it’s way quieter than the OPs video. I had mine done at the most reputable shop in the northern half of Illinois so I have no doubt they’ll make it right. I’ll update as soon as I get some details on what’s going on.

fjavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2020 JLUR 3.6 auto, 335 bmw
I used Offroad Customz in Glendale. Great guys over there and they took care of me quickly. They're usually booked a couple weeks out but if you can leave the rig with them for a couple days they will fit it in faster. If you go tell them Jesse with the 2 door white JL sent you!

I've heard good things about Premiere West and Mobile Gear also. Glendale is just so much closer to me after many trips back and forth from Brothers 4x4. It was a bummer to pay again but I really needed the jeep back and functional as it's my only vehicle, so I was pretty much forced into it. I'm glad I found a shop to handle it quickly though.
@jessedacri, I went to Offroad Customz today and spoke with Vee. I really liked the shop and the service I got today so I went ahead and booked an appointment to do my gears. Thanks for your input!! By the way, he remembers you :)
Sponsored