Sponsored

Gear whine on coasting after regear to 4.88s. Shop is claiming its a "driver comfort issue" and that it's normal. This can't be normal.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Alright. I hate to do this, but I got regeared at a reputable shop here in SoCal and have this very noticeable whine when on the coast side coming to a stop, or just letting off the gas. It was also accompanied by a pretty significant pinion seal leak as I was doing my ~20 mile break in + cool down cycles. Once I noticed this I took it back to the shop first thing the next morning and noted the noise and the leak. They replaced the pinion seal on the spot but said the noise is a "driver comfort" thing and to let him know if it got any louder in the future and maybe we can get the gear manufacturer to warranty. He also noted that the sound likely would not go away with break in, and that it's not of concern because the drive side is set up right and the noise is only on the coast side. He also said that gearing is louder the bigger the ratio, but I only have 4.88s and have heard plenty of jeeps regeared much higher and have never heard a noise like this - it's audible for pedestrians and I get looks. My front axle is not making noise, it's a brand new Ultimate Dana 44 that came 4.88 from the factory and has no front axle disconnect. No noise from the front in 2H or the brief moments of 4H I've tried. The noise is primarily in the 43mph and under area. I haven't gone over 50mph to say for sure what it may sound like because I'm not broken in yet, but it seems like it quiets down quite a bit coasting faster than 45mph.

I hate to have to try and argue this out and don't want to put anyone on blast here, but I cannot find a single point after doing research that says noise is normal or expected after a regear, and that whining is indicative of incorrect mesh or preload.

In y'all's experience, is there ANY situation where this is normal? An aggressive drive side setup? A certain brand of gears?

I have 260 miles on the break in so far.
Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
What brand gears did you get? I have the dana spicef 4.88 with Yukon master set. Absolutely quiet on coasting.

LDJD79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yeah that’s not normal. I had 4WParts put my 4.88s in about a year and a half ago, never once have I heard that noise. I went with Dana spicer gears.
The Shop may be right about it not being an issue but it’s definitely not normal.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Alright. I hate to do this, but I got regeared at a reputable shop here in SoCal and have this very noticeable whine when on the coast side coming to a stop, or just letting off the gas. It was also accompanied by a pretty significant pinion seal leak as I was doing my ~20 mile break in + cool down cycles. Once I noticed this I took it back to the shop first thing the next morning and noted the noise and the leak. They replaced the pinion seal on the spot but said the noise is a "driver comfort" thing and to let him know if it got any louder in the future and maybe we can get the gear manufacturer to warranty. He also noted that the sound likely would not go away with break in, and that it's not of concern because the drive side is set up right and the noise is only on the coast side. He also said that gearing is louder the bigger the ratio, but I only have 4.88s and have heard plenty of jeeps regeared much higher and have never heard a noise like this - it's audible for pedestrians and I get looks. My front axle is not making noise, it's a brand new Ultimate Dana 44 that came 4.88 from the factory and has no front axle disconnect. No noise from the front in 2H or the brief moments of 4H I've tried. The noise is primarily in the 43mph and under area. I haven't gone over 50mph to say for sure what it may sound like because I'm not broken in yet, but it seems like it quiets down quite a bit coasting faster than 45mph.

I hate to have to try and argue this out and don't want to put anyone on blast here, but I cannot find a single point after doing research that says noise is normal or expected after a regear, and that whining is indicative of incorrect mesh or preload.

In y'all's experience, is there ANY situation where this is normal? An aggressive drive side setup? A certain brand of gears?

Hi there.

Your pinion depth is 100% incorrect.

There should be no noise.

This is a classic case of a shop not installing the actual Master Kit you purchased.

You can easily cheat people out of a good gear job by simply pressing a pinion head bearing on and putting the new pinion right back in. Look to see if you received a new pinion seal. It'll be hard to see since the dirt/dust shield covers a good portion of it up.

This is why I tell people to make sure they ask for all of their removed parts, including the factory shims when getting gears done.

Now, if they actually installed the full Master Kits like you paid for, then they need to go back in and adjust the pinion depth.

Ask for the removed pinion etch vs the installed etch. Just because they say 0 on both does not mean you can leave the stock shim in. You still need to at least double check the differences between the two pinions.

They need to fix your pinion depth. Backlash on a NEW set of gears should be .003 - .006". You can get away with .005 - .008", but the depth has to be right.

Again... you should not hear any noise under load or decel.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there.

Your pinion depth is 100% incorrect.

There should be no noise.

This is a classic case of a shop not installing the actual Master Kit you purchased.

You can easily cheat people out of a good gear job by simply pressing a pinion head bearing on and putting the new pinion right back in. Look to see if you received a new pinion seal. It'll be hard to see since the dirt/dust shield covers a good portion of it up.

This is why I tell people to make sure they ask for all of their removed parts, including the factory shims when getting gears done.

Now, if they actually installed the full Master Kits like you paid for, then they need to go back in and adjust the pinion depth.

Ask for the removed pinion etch vs the installed etch. Just because they say 0 on both does not mean you can leave the stock shim in. You still need to at least double check the differences between the two pinions.

They need to fix your pinion depth. Backlash on a NEW set of gears should be .003 - .006". You can get away with .005 - .008", but the depth has to be right.

Again... you should not hear any noise under load or decel.
You the man

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
Yep, chevymittchell is correct.

Not the gears, not the manufacture, those gears are not installed correctly and that's why they are noisy. It is a install problem. They have to be set up right or they will wine like that. Not being set up correctly they are also probably more likely to break if you push them.

Make them reinstall those correctly. You have to get the pinion depth correct and the carrier shims correct. You need backlash as described above but also correct gear contact pattern, backlash and preload on the bearings.

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ

If you don't mind telling us what shop, I'm sure some of us would be really grateful. I.m scheduled regearing by Rebel Offroad in Laguna Hills come late June.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't mind telling us what shop, I'm sure some of us would be really grateful. I.m scheduled regearing by Rebel Offroad in Laguna Hills come late June.
That place is the worst, plus they sub out the gearing anyways. To edit, they put my locker in, crushed a bearing and used it anyways, the. The brake caliper fell off because somebody didnt tighten bolts on the freeway

Sponsored

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Loose pinion , the gears are going to eat themselves and take the bearings with them

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Don't name the shop just yet. Give them a chance to fix it. Have your communications in writing. If they don't fix it, unfortunately you have to have a different shop fix it and then sue in small claims. Then name the shop.

somebody didnt tighten bolts on the freeway
In their defense, it's very difficult to tighten bolts on the freeway. :giggle:

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That place is the worst, plus they sub out the gearing anyways. To edit, they put my locker in, crushed a bearing and used it anyways, the. The brake caliper fell off because somebody didnt tighten bolts on the freeway
That’s a pretty strong negative. Thanks for the heads-up!

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
If it’s the shop I’m thinking of they created a huge headache for my buddy and I when we fixed his axle.

We couldn’t get the roller bearing seal out of the axle housing no matter what, I looked closely and it had what looked like a ring rtv sealant in there, we had to cut it out with a dremel, took 3 hours of fun when it should have been a 45 min job.

I’ve swapped out axles 8 times prior on the JL and have never seen that happen, never seen any type of rtv like material and these were aftermarket we were swapping out.

I know they were late turning my buddies jeep back to him like days late so either they put some sealant in there to screw with him, did a completely dry install which you should never do or didn’t bother to clean the axle out first.

48001C16-73D2-4EF5-878B-621FCCF30361.jpeg

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it’s the shop I’m thinking of they created a huge headache for my buddy and I when we fixed his axle.

We couldn’t get the roller bearing seal out of the axle housing no matter what, I looked closely and it had what looked like a ring rtv sealant in there, we had to cut it out with a dremel, took 3 hours of fun when it should have been a 45 min job.

I’ve swapped out axles 8 times prior on the JL and have never seen that happen, never seen any type of rtv like material and these were aftermarket we were swapping out.

I know they were late turning my buddies jeep back to him like days late so either they put some sealant in there to screw with him, did a completely dry install which you should never do or didn’t bother to clean the axle out first.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gear whine on coasting after regear to 4.88s. Shop is claiming its a "driver comfort issue" and that it's normal. This can't be normal. 48001C16-73D2-4EF5-878B-621FCCF30361
Are you talking about the shop that OP has his issue or Rebel?
Sponsored