Sponsored

Gear whine on coasting after regear to 4.88s. Shop is claiming its a "driver comfort issue" and that it's normal. This can't be normal.

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
@jessedacri, I went to Offroad Customz today and spoke with Vee. I really liked the shop and the service I got today so I went ahead and booked an appointment to do my gears. Thanks for your input!! By the way, he remembers you :)
Awesome! They're good dudes over there, and they're working on some monster builds too. What gears are you going with?

I just had mine done about 2 weeks ago. Revolution 4.88 gears. They were quiet at first but today I started to notice the same whine on decel. I can only hear it at like 25 mph and under till I stop. And it’s way quieter than the OPs video. I had mine done at the most reputable shop in the northern half of Illinois so I have no doubt they’ll make it right. I’ll update as soon as I get some details on what’s going on.
Definitely keep us posted, I would love to confirm that Rev had a few bad gears and know that the shop wasn't totally bullshitting me. I went back to my original shop and handed them the gears back and asked for a refund, all they'd give was $200. They still blamed the gears and said they had another JL Rev install that they had the same issue, but who knows.
Sponsored

fjavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2020 JLUR 3.6 auto, 335 bmw
Awesome! They're good dudes over there, and they're working on some monster builds too. What gears are you going with?
I was on the fence between 4.88 and 5.13 which apparently is a common dilemma on this forum, but I decided to go with 5.13. I am scheduled to get them done at the end of this month. What did you get and are you happy with how it feels?

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I was on the fence between 4.88 and 5.13 which apparently is a common dilemma on this forum, but I decided to go with 5.13. I am scheduled to get them done at the end of this month. What did you get and are you happy with how it feels?

4.88s, and it feels awesome. Punchier than stock but I'm lifted on 35s, the drivetrain feels very confident and knows where it needs to be instantly - I see 8th gear all the time now and pull a steady 20.5mpg highway cruising. My deciding factor was that I wanted the beefier sized pinion on the 4.88s, I think the 5.13 loses a tooth and is a smaller head to get to that ratio. Probably all conjecture because there are dudes running heavy ass wheel/tire setups on 5.13s all day, but you never know for sure. I'll likely never go larger than a small 37 (BFG KM3) on this rig so I feel safe sticking with the 4.88s.

At the end of the day tho this transmission is so good that it compensates really well for less than ideal gearing. I didn't mind the drive at all on the 4.10s, but since I busted an axle and was going with a UD44, I had the opportunity to move up and I don't regret it (other than all the drama I had to go through with the shop).

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Definitely keep us posted, I would love to confirm that Rev had a few bad gears and know that the shop wasn't totally bullshitting me. I went back to my original shop and handed them the gears back and asked for a refund, all they'd give was $200. They still blamed the gears and said they had another JL Rev install that they had the same issue, but who knows.
Called the shop. They said drop it off Monday and they’ll open it up and take a look at what’s going on. I’ll keep you posted on the outcome.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator

Alright so I just got the email from the shop. They told me that 3 separate people went on test drives to hear the noise. And it just so happens that they had a revolution rep there dropping parts off and he was one of the people that did a test drive. 2 of them said they heard nothing (old ears maybe) and the younger of the 3 said he heard a slight noise with the climate controls and radio off and believes it to be normal gear noise. I emailed back and spoke about this thread and how you put a different gear set in and the noise went away and also stated that my last 2 jeeps that were regeard didn’t have any noise. They said they popped the cover and everything looks good and said I can come pick it up. I asked them for some peace of mind incase if future problems (noise gets louder or failure) so I guess I’ll see what they say about that. I’m kind of regretting not going with Dana spicer gears now.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at 4.88's or 4.56 for my manual JLUR. Right now I'm leaning toward 4.88.

So a couple quick questions.

1. Yukon vs. Dana/Spicer? The guy who would do my install likes both. I think the Yukons with the installation kit would be a couple hundred less. But I like the idea of gears from the orignial manufacturer.

2. Anyone with a manual and 35's that went with either 4.56 or 4.88? I'd love to hear your opinions. Right now I'm leaning toward 4.88.

3. I saw something about Yukon having some kind of extended protection plan. Anyone know much about that?

Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated. The main thing to me is to get that sixth gear shortened up enough to be more practical. Right now, it is only really practical above 70mph and on flat land or down hill. Gotta wake it up. But I don't want 1st gear to wind up too short, either. It looks like it would go from 32mph redline right now to 27mph with 4.88's. I think that's not too bad. Sixth with the 4.88's would hit about 2525rpm at 75mph.

I'm going with a friend for the installation. He runs a small Jeep mod shop and has done lots of TJ and JK gear swaps. He charges $350 per axle, which I think sounds pretty decent. He's a very good guy, and I'm confident he knows what he's doing.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I'm looking at 4.88's or 4.56 for my manual JLUR. Right now I'm leaning toward 4.88.

1. Yukon vs. Dana/Spicer? The guy who would do my install likes both. I think the Yukons with the installation kit would be a couple hundred less. But I like the idea of gears from the orignial manufacturer.

2. Anyone with a manual and 35's that went with either 4.56 or 4.88? I'd love to hear your opinions. Right now I'm leaning toward 4.88.

3. I saw something about Yukon having some kind of extended protection plan. Anyone know much about that?

Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated. The main thing to me is to get that sixth gear shortened up enough to be more practical. Right now, it is only really practical above 70mph and on flat land or down hill. Gotta wake it up. But I don't want 1st gear to wind up too short, either. It looks like it would go from 32mph redline right now to 27mph with 4.88's. I think that's not too bad. Sixth with the 4.88's would hit about 2525rpm at 75mph.

I'm going with a friend for the installation. He runs a small Jeep mod shop and has done lots of TJ and JK gear swaps. He charges $350 per axle, which I think sounds pretty decent. He's a very good guy, and I'm confident he knows what he's doing.
Dan,

1 - Yukon makes phenomenal products. If available, I always recommend Dana gears first, but nothing wrong with going with Yukon, for sure.

2 - I never ran 35's on Fat Ninja, but I will say that 37's and 4.88's are perfect with that 6-speed. The mathematical equivalent of driving like factory with a 35 is a 4.56 gear.

3 - Their YES plan only covers the ring and pinion for the life of the vehicle to original purchaser. It does not cover labor. I've never personally used it, so I'm uneducated on anything more than their brochure level of data.

Don't overthink the gearing. In fact, try to remove all thinking and opinions from your decision. Use the math to make decisions. The math for 4.56 and 4.88 will tell you which one you'll like more based on RPM in each gear and RPM at cruising speed.

$350 per axle is super cheap. If he knows what he's doing, you've got a good bargain on getting gears done, for sure.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dan,

1 - Yukon makes phenomenal products. If available, I always recommend Dana gears first, but nothing wrong with going with Yukon, for sure.

2 - I never ran 35's on Fat Ninja, but I will say that 37's and 4.88's are perfect with that 6-speed. The mathematical equivalent of driving like factory with a 35 is a 4.56 gear.

3 - Their YES plan only covers the ring and pinion for the life of the vehicle to original purchaser. It does not cover labor. I've never personally used it, so I'm uneducated on anything more than their brochure level of data.

Don't overthink the gearing. In fact, try to remove all thinking and opinions from your decision. Use the math to make decisions. The math for 4.56 and 4.88 will tell you which one you'll like more based on RPM in each gear and RPM at cruising speed.

$350 per axle is super cheap. If he knows what he's doing, you've got a good bargain on getting gears done, for sure.
Thanks! I think I'm going to go with Dana/Spicer.

I found a great calculator in the link below and played around with what I saw stock, (I only drove it 700 miles before going to 35's), what I see now, and what I'd see with 4.56 and 4.88. I looked at all of them in 1st, 6th, and even 5th gears. I'm strongly leaning toward 4.88. (I'm not considering at any point going to 37's, so while 4.88's gives me a nice option for that, it just isn't where I'm going.)

http://www.teammfactory.com/calculator

So 6th looks like this, each with 35's at 75mph.....

4.10 2080
4.56 2350
4.88 2525

First gear looks like this, in terms of speed at redline. I was worried about it getting too short. And I do frequently mash it from soplights and upshift to 2nd at redline or just before. It is very quick now, even with 4.10's. That's why I was not wanting it to get much shorter. But I think only a 5mph change is liveable. It'll be a borderline granny gear with 4.88's but I think that's ok.

4.10 32mph
4.56 29mph
4.88 27mph

So next I'm going to drive around and take some notes now that I know the rpm. For example, I'll put it in 5th and run it to 2525 rpm and see how it feels. I think it will be great because I'm very used to my JK on the highway. It's old 3.8 in 6th gear (33's and 4.10 gearing) is at 2650 at 75mph and does fine. The Pentastar would be 75rpm lower but I think it lives in that rev range better than the 3.8. In fact, it thrives at higher rpm while the 3.8 really doesn't. So I'll try and do what you said and just let math lead me to the rpms and just see how it feels at those numbers. Whichever feels right/best will win out. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with either.

So I'll finalize the decision as I consider your advice and experience, as well as others who chime in, and as I drive around and feel things out.

I do see Jeep offering the option of 4.88's with 35's on the Xtreme Recon. That tells me that either they think it is just fine there, or they are doing it knowing most who go for that are going to quickly throw 37's or even 38's on there. But some won't.

Other thoughts: Crawl ratio really doesn't factor in because it performs fine in low range as it is now. I've done 2 trips to Moab with the current setup and had no issues crawling all over stuff and up steep climbs, even with the AC on. That said, it'll no doubt crawl even better with the 84:1 restored by 4.56 or with the 100:1 it will get with the 4.88's. That'd pull my house off its foundation! Lol!

My guy has done many JK's and nobody's ever had anything but great things to say about his work. He also wheels in an old but beautifully built TJ, so he gets into the field and it is his passion. I"m pretty confident in his skills, assuming the JK Dana 44 is not much different from the JL's Advantek. Do you have thoughts on that, or is it pretty similar or even almost identical?

Yeah, $350 is a bargain. I'm going to give him more than that and a case of his favorite beer, too. That price can't be touched by anyone else around here. So I'm looking at about $1700 plus tax plus whatever extra I give him, for Danas with the Master Install kits. I don't think that's bad, at all.

Thanks again for your help and advice!

dlporter

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

I can comment directly on the Yukon YES plan. In short, don’t waste your money. My rear differential started making noise when lightly loaded at 50-60 mph. Press gas to load drive train, noise goes away. Let completely off gas to unload drivetrain and coast down, noise goes away. The best way to describe the noise was like the gears were ringing like a bell. Took it back to the shop that did the install for troubleshooting.

Yukon will drag the process out, first by making your shop set the gears up to different specs and trying it. When that’s done, your shop can submit for a warranty replacement of the ring and pinion. That submission then goes through some routing and approval process at Yukon. All told, the shop had my Jeep for a month working through this. The loss of use for a month was not worth the extra $95 I paid per axle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can comment directly on the Yukon YES plan. In short, don’t waste your money. My rear differential started making noise when lightly loaded at 50-60 mph. Press gas to load drive train, noise goes away. Let completely off gas to unload drivetrain and coast down, noise goes away. The best way to describe the noise was like the gears were ringing like a bell. Took it back to the shop that did the install for troubleshooting.

Yukon will drag the process out, first by making your shop set the gears up to different specs and trying it. When that’s done, your shop can submit for a warranty replacement of the ring and pinion. That submission then goes through some routing and approval process at Yukon. All told, the shop had my Jeep for a month working through this. The loss of use for a month was not worth the extra $95 I paid per axle.
Thanks!

What gears, tire size and transmission are you running? I'm deciding between 4.88 and 4.56. Right now, the math is telling me 4.56 is the sweet spot. @chevymitchell said 4.88 is PERFECT with 37's. I'm certain I won't be going to 37s, so I'm thinking 4.56 is the sweet spot. I did some highway driving and playing around with rpms at different speeds and the more I did it the more I'm thinking 4.56.

However, I'm wanting to hear from someone running the manual with 4.88's and 35s and see what they think and feel. I'll then pull the trigger on the appropriate Dana rings/pinions. 4.88's are in stock now and 4.56 rears would ship around the end of July, which is fine. I'm not in a rush. Besides, it'll help me find time to pot the locker sensors before the gear change.

I'll probably start a separate thread to get that feedback.

Anyway, let me know what you are running and your thoughts and thanks again for sharing that info. I was very curious about that coverage plan and how it worked.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dlporter

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks!

What gears, tire size and transmission are you running? I'm deciding between 4.88 and 4.56. Right now, the math is telling me 4.56 is the sweet spot. @chevymitchell said 4.88 is PERFECT with 37's. I'm certain I won't be going to 37s, so I'm thinking 4.56 is the sweet spot. I did some highway driving and playing around with rpms at different speeds and the more I did it the more I'm thinking 4.56.

However, I'm wanting to hear from someone running the manual with 4.88's and 35s and see what they think and feel. I'll then pull the trigger on the appropriate Dana rings/pinions. 4.88's are in stock now and 4.56 rears would ship around the end of July, which is fine. I'm not in a rush. Besides, it'll help me find time to pot the locker sensors before the gear change.

I'll probably start a separate thread to get that feedback.

Anyway, let me know what you are running and your thoughts and thanks again for sharing that info. I was very curious about that coverage plan and how it worked.
I am running 37s with 4.88s on mine. I have the 3.6 and 8 speed auto. The 4.88s with 37s will get you pretty darn close to the way it felt stock. When I take mine in to get the noisy gear issue fixed in September, I’m swapping to 5.13s.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Well, had a new set of gears and bearings installed and the whining is still there. Revolution wanted to see if it was just a one off bad set of gears and bearing. But that’s not the case. Seems like a design issue that the R&D team needs to work out. If they don’t have any other ideas I’m going to ask them to cover the cost of installing a set of Dana spicer gears.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Well, had a new set of gears and bearings installed and the whining is still there. Revolution wanted to see if it was just a one off bad set of gears and bearing. But that’s not the case. Seems like a design issue that the R&D team needs to work out. If they don’t have any other ideas I’m going to ask them to cover the cost of installing a set of Dana spicer gears.
I spent a LOT of time thinking about and researching axle components before I started buying parts. I landed on Dana Spicer everything (gears, master install kits, chrome moly axles). Though there are plenty of people running Revolution or Yukon with no issues, from time to time there are postings similar to yours and they are usually not with Dana parts.

Hope they get it sorted out for you!

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
That is strange. I have zero issue with my Revolution Gears and had them installed at a shop that does RG all the time. I wonder if it’s something else and the installer missed it.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
That is strange. I have zero issue with my Revolution Gears and had them installed at a shop that does RG all the time. I wonder if it’s something else and the installer missed it.
At this point they keep telling me it’s likely a bearing. But it’s had 2 full kits in it and still whines. I’m thinking as well that they’re missing something. It definitely has to do with the diff though because it wasn’t like that before they started working on it.
Sponsored