Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
So I just got my Jeep regeared yesterday and I have a slight issue. Whenever I start the Jeep the rear locker light blinks on the dash. Not like a service warning but like it’s engaging or disengaging when you normally press it. It isn’t though (its not locked), and the blinking goes away on its own after putting it in drive and moving a few feet. Well, sometimes. Sometimes it keeps going and sometimes it doesn't even start to blink. No matter what though, It always shows locked in the offroad pages. It even says “rear axle unlocked” after creeping a few feet (it did it many times) on the dash. Lockers work just fine, well everything works just fine other than that blinking light. Has anyone ran into this before? Installer said they’ve never seen this before and have contacted some of their own sources and dealerships without any info. I asked them if they installed the fixed and floating plate properly as well as the internal locker plug and they assured me they did. At least thats what they said. I used a flashcal and I unmarried remarried with no difference with the blinking.

attached is a video of what I mean

Sponsored

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
So I just got my Jeep regeared yesterday and I have a slight issue. Whenever I start the Jeep the rear locker light blinks on the dash. Not like a service warning but like it’s engaging or disengaging when you normally press it. It isn’t though (its not locked), and the blinking goes away on its own after putting it in drive and moving a few feet. Well, sometimes. Sometimes it keeps going and sometimes it doesn't even start to blink. No matter what thought, It always shows locked in the offroad pages. It even says “rear axle unlocked” after creeping a few feet (it did it many times). Lockers work just fine, well everything works just fine other than that blinking light. Has anyone ran into this before? Installer said they’ve never seen this before and have contacted some of their own sources and dealerships without any info. I asked them if they installed the fixed and floating plate properly as well as the internal locker plug and they assured me they did. At least thats what they said. I used a flashcal and I unmarried remarried with no difference with the blinking.

attached is a video of what I mean

Wish I could help with the alert. Outside of that, how do you like the 4.88s?

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I see the issue...you went to 4WP

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
See this link, post #105. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/“service-axle-locker-system”-light-on.13241/page-7

If I were you, I'd pull the harness going to your axle, and check to see if the pins are in good shape. It could be that one or more pins got bent when the harness was reattached.

Good luck!
Thanks I can check that out in the morning. I’m not getting any kind of DTC though. The blinking is exactly how it is when you press the button and it’s in the middle of locking / Unlocking.

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase

oomkin

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I could be totally wrong, I am just guessing out of my ass from a previous and recent locker error experience. When my rear locker went wrong, there might be metal flakes mixed with gear oil trapped in between or near the two pieces of the sensor.

In my case the locker eventually fixed itself, maybe because I changed rear diff oil 3 times in 3,000 miles, and it flushed the metal flakes out.

You can try to clean the sensor assembly, without pulling the shafts and passenger side bearing out again. By removing passenger side bearing cap and rotate the sensor, you can expose it more.

Maybe removing this one screw will separate the two sensor pieces too.

Just my 0.02 don't quote me on anything.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I could be totally wrong, I am just guessing out of my ass from a previous and recent locker error experience. When my rear locker went wrong, there might be metal flakes mixed with gear oil trapped in between or near the two pieces of the sensor.

In my case the locker eventually fixed itself, maybe because I changed rear diff oil 3 times in 3,000 miles, and it flushed the metal flakes out.

You can try to clean the sensor assembly, without pulling the shafts and passenger side bearing out again. By removing passenger side bearing cap and rotate the sensor, you can expose it more.

Maybe removing this one screw will separate the two sensor pieces too.

Just my 0.02 don't quote me on anything.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png
Ok thanks for the tip I can do that. What problem were you having with your locker? Was it still functioning or no?

oomkin

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
About 500 miles after regearing, random "service axle locker system" would pop up upon startup or driving in the city or highway. Message and icon would sometimes go away on its own.

During this period, flipping the locker switch would yield the flashing locker icon on the dash, but lockers would never engage no matter how far I drive.

I remember someone on forum said if rear don't engage then front won't engage.

Symptom gradually went away after temperature dropped and/or diff oil changes. I recently sprayed a can of brake clean into the rear diff. Lockers currently in working condition.

OP
OP
RubiRob

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
About 500 miles after regearing, random "service axle locker system" would pop up upon startup or driving in the city or highway. Message and icon would sometimes go away on its own.

During this period, flipping the locker switch would yield the flashing locker icon on the dash, but lockers would never engage no matter how far I drive.

I remember someone on forum said if rear don't engage then front won't engage.

Symptom gradually went away after temperature dropped and/or diff oil changes. I recently sprayed a can of brake clean into the rear diff. Lockers currently in working condition.
OK thanks, that lends to oomkin's comment. I don't get the service icon, just the flashing like it was off. Everything still works from what I can tell 100%.

oops you’re the same person lol
Sponsored