Gear Swap

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Ok, so I just finished tearing down my rear diff after my second failure. I did some measurements on the way out, but forgot to run a pattern:
Pinion Torque to Rotate: 0 in-lbs/6 in-lbs
Total Torque to Rotate: 8 in-lbs/12 in-lbs
Also, about 3 Pints of oil came out.

This was after I was not refunded for the first failure. The shop told me it takes 2.5-3 QUARTS of oil (5-6 Pints) and that's why my regear failed. They didn't want to hear about it being incorrect, they just wanted to blame me and said I cooked the bearings by messing up the post break-in flush. I should have had the confidence to walk away, but I let them re-do the rear at a discount. 100 miles later, same problem. Howling rear end on coast side. I brought it back, they said it was just a louder set of gears and nothing was wrong. 2 shops diagnosed pinion issues after ride-alongs. Which lead us to these specs.
So obviously something went wrong with the pinion again. The carrier preload looks to be within the right range and would have been fine if the pinion was pre-loaded correctly.
Hopefully I get it right tomorrow! I still have to clean everything, cut off the old bearings from the carrier, and remove the pinion.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
As far as capacity, they are full of bovine scatology. I have not seen a front M210 that has held more than 1.3- 1.5QTs or a M220 that has held more than 1.4-1.6QTs.

Would love to know where they are seeing 2.5-3.0QTs and what axle cover allows for that capacity.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
As far as capacity, they are full of bovine scatology. I have not seen a front M210 that has held more than 1.3- 1.5QTs or a M220 that has held more than 1.4-1.6QTs.

Would love to know where they are seeing 2.5-3.0QTs and what axle cover allows for that capacity.
Judging by the shims beneath the bearings, the quoted capacity being in line with a JK, I think it's been 3 years and they still haven't realized the JL D44 Advantek is not the normal D44. They've gotten complacent and aren't about to admit mistakes.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Judging by the shims beneath the bearings, the quoted capacity being in line with a JK, I think it's been 3 years and they still haven't realized the JL D44 Advantek is not the normal D44. They've gotten complacent and aren't about to admit mistakes.
Part of the problem with Advanteks IS the reduction in oil capacity from the JK series and the increased heat they generate--neither of which is conducive to long axle life, long OCIs, or using the oil viscosity that FCA recommends over Dana (75W-90 vs. 75W-140).

Last edited:

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Yeah, your specs as installed are quite a ways off. Carrier shims inboard or outboard shouldnt really matter, they perform the same function in either place. It's just way easier to put them outboard to make installation easier. As for oil capacity, fill it till it comes out the fill hole. You'll be close enough.

Here's the Dana specs for your reference if you dont have them.

https://d3qx1uccksbb2n.cloudfront.net/docs/SPECSHEET-JL-REAR-UD44A-D44A-42019.pdf

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I had a dumb moment today and pressed on both carrier bearings without the locker. I had to go rent a puller to get it off. It worked because the locker was out of the way though. Lost a few hours to that. We lost the natural light before I could get a pattern. I'll have to examine it in the morning. I'm worried I have a bad gear though, one tooth had a totally different patter than the others on one side. Pictures tomorrow at some point.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Jeep Wrangler JL Gear Swap 69686E21-F2B7-4BB2-9744-6A755DBA750D

I have a rotational clunk, seems to be ring gear related. I ran a broader pattern and found this. If this is the clunk, it’s my fault. We were tired and couldn’t get the pinion flange on. Our “brilliant” idea was to put the carrier in to hold it and get it tapped down enough to thread the pinion nut on. Here’s my other suspicion:
Jeep Wrangler JL Gear Swap 63448072-E15B-4C0B-B931-81275329DCB2

I already posted this in ChevyMitchell’s thread.
I’m fairly sure it’s our fault. Too bad, we seem to have the pinion depth and carrier shims right on the first pattern, even if it wasn’t the first try. Oddly I’m not upset if I have to do it again. The learning was awesome for all of us.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I would demand my money back for everything they did.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I would demand my money back for everything they did.
I’m headed down there at some point to show them everything. The head bearing looks like it has 100,000 miles on it, it only had 200.
Hopefully they’ll negotiate and not just stonewall me. I’m prepared to make social media accounts to post my experiences.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I didn’t catch this at first, but here’s one of my carrier bearing races from the shop install.
Jeep Wrangler JL Gear Swap F5D93FDE-D744-4BFF-8326-DA1531B6E9AA

Jeep Wrangler JL Gear Swap B3CE5D28-7841-407E-A3E0-E2A098E35E66

No wonder it was making noise.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Ok, so I just finished tearing down my rear diff after my second failure.
Sorry to hear this. Real bummer. For those in Puget Sound area, sounds like we should all stay away from this installer. Two failures too many with customer blame to boot.
Sponsored