Gear Setup (or how not to set them up) being scheduled

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I finished purchasing my tools today. I'm going to be redoing my rear differential due to unacceptable noise levels from the shop that they won't warranty. I haven't picked a day yet, but I'm thinking next weekend (22/23JAN). If anyone is near Marysville and wants to see the setup process as I attempt it for the first time, they'd be welcomed. I might get ahead of myself and start teardown this holiday weekend, so let me know here or in PM if you want me to target a specific day! I'm not technologically savvy with cameras, so I won't be taking video. I'll probably forget to do photos too, but maybe I'll get a few.

I'm also doing rear control arms to help my clearance issues with my tires on the pinch seam. So if anyone is thinking of doing their own lift install this will show you a bunch of that.

Otherwise, enjoy your weekend in the PNW!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Control arms done. Gearing tentatively scheduled for Saturday the 22nd.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I messed them up while struggling to get the pinion flange on. New bearings should be here today.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I gave up. I was having issues with the pinion not loading evenly as the crush sleeve was crushed. New bearings didn’t help, so it wasn’t a damaged bearing or bearing race issue. I said f*** it and got it bolted back up with uneven pinion ttr and it was quiet with a great pattern. Then it started slinging oil out the pinion seal. I can’t find anything wrong with it. I scheduled with a shop for the 28th.
I may have torched the gears or bearings as it lost oil. I’ll find out in 2 weeks when I have another day off. I’ll check the oil level and if it’s too low I’ll take the cover off to inspect. If they look acceptable I’ll try a new seal and fill it back up before going to the shop.
I’m anticipating paying a shop for a full rebuild again. Hope this one gets it right.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Any update? Did you get the gears completed?
There’s another thread, but between a damaged pinion flange, a broken axle retainer stud, and my poor wrenching skills probably insufficient for a job without complications it was a bad enough experience I’m selling my Jeep if I can get it fixed.

justinP_wannaB

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 4xe
Man that sounds rough! Sorry that you are having problems.
Sponsored