Sponsored

Gear Mesh Diagnosis

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Had a local shop set up some new gears and an air locker in my JL sport (m220) about 2k miles ago. They had a bit of trouble finding the right locker for my application, so they did the gears first and then the locker 500 miles later. They told me not to worry about another 500 mile oil change as the set up looked like it broke in fine.

I finally got around to an oil change this evening in preparation for a long trip in October and the oil was full of glitter and some decent sized chunks. Dropped the cover and found some irregular wear. Can anyone with some gear install experience tell me what kind of set up error would cause wear like this? I see some signs of odd wear on both the outside and inside of the ring gear. The rough edge is particularly pronounced on the inside of the ring.

IMG_0152.jpeg

IMG_0148.jpeg
Sponsored

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I can't really read the patter on the first pic. I suggest cleaning the gears + housing, and using gear compound to give a good print.

Installing a new differential without regearing STILL requires a gear pattern check, just as if you were installing new gears...

JP18

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I can't really read the patter on the first pic. I suggest cleaning the gears + housing, and using gear compound to give a good print.

Installing a new differential without regearing STILL requires a gear pattern check, just as if you were installing new gears...

JP18
Yes, clean it and get some compound in there. The drive side pattern looks too far to the outside of the ring gear and not deep enough into the teeth, but it's hard to read without compound.

OP
OP
fdFifty

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Update: I took it back into the shop to have them check the pattern and take a closer look. They showed me the pattern and it looked ok. Fairly centered on the ring with engagement most but not all of the way down the teeth.

My biggest concern right now are the burrs on the inside of the ring gear. It's only on those two teeth in the image. Any ideas on what could have caused that? It's not anywhere near the pinion engagement.

The shop is going to look again this weekend and strain the fluid to see if the hardening layer is gone. I suppose it is possible that the gears have just worn their way into mesh at this point.
Sponsored