No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Which axles did you use? I’m going to do the same. going to order my 392 without the XR package. then do the 1 ton axles. Not only are they stronger. But I really want the lock out hubs. That solves the front driveline vibrations. Infinite lift possibilities. also run and tow in 2 Wheel Dr. etc. . I’m gonna do 39 inch BFG’s. With a 5.13 gear ratio. Hoping to stay with a 17 inch wheel. And I like Dynatrac products but I’m kind of leaning towards the Dana Spicer Dana 60U package

OP
OP
MrJonnycat

MrJonnycat

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Which axles did you use? I’m going to do the same. going to order my 392 without the XR package. then do the 1 ton axles. Not only are they stronger. But I really want the lock out hubs. That solves the front driveline vibrations. Infinite lift possibilities. also run and tow in 2 Wheel Dr. etc. . I’m gonna do 39 inch BFG’s. With a 5.13 gear ratio. Hoping to stay with a 17 inch wheel. And I like Dynatrac products but I’m kind of leaning towards the Dana Spicer Dana 60U package
Hey Rob,

I went with 72" Fusion 4x4 axles with 5.13 gears and Eaton e-lockers front and rear. Here's a link to my setup.

https://fusion4x4.com/collections/j...ngpin-60-elite-full-float-60-jeep-wrangler-jl
Jeep Wrangler JL Gear Change for 37's on my 392 IMG_3518

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Are you unhappy with the performance of the 392 with 37's? I would think it has enough TQ to only have a small affect on over all performance.

I wonder how much the stock axles can take, 470 ft lbs from the motor 4.71 1st gear and 4.88 rear axle will be a lot for those stock 44's to take. I think that will take you out of the max rating even putting it through front and rear axles.

470 x 4.71= 2213 out
2213 x 4.88 = 10802 out
10802 /2 axles = 5401 ft lbs through each axle or 2700 through each axle shaft in a perfect world.

Any one know what the max tq M220 is rated for?

Only thing I could find was a Dana 44 rated for 3,460 ft lbs. nothing on the newer M220
Your math makes sense, but you left out low range. The fact of the matter is 470ftlbs is plenty to snap a Dana 60 or even 80 shaft if you happen to be at peak torque in 4LO with some wheel speed and suddenly find 100% traction regardless of gear ratio choice. The math is misleading. Aside from shock loading from suddenly gaining traction on a spinning wheel, your shafts just aren't ever going to see those peak loads. Even on a prepped track you aren't putting 10k+ ftlbs through jeep tires without a whole bunch of wheel slip. Even the 2.0t puts out 22,740ftlbs to the wheels in a stock Rubicon, which if all the traction is available at 1 wheel isn't divided by 4, more than enough to break parts. With the 5.38's and the tune on ours we are at a theoretical max of 35,400ftlbs, but haven't broken a stock shaft on 38's yet wheeling all over the country(knock on wood). Pick the gears you want for your driveability and run it. The math is misleading.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I’ve got 68.5” Dynatrac XD60s with 5.38s and 40s and I feel like it’s a little overgeared on the highway. 5.13s would likely be perfect. I bought the axles as-is because I didn’t want to wait months for a set of new axles but in hindsight I would have gone 5.13s/72.5” wide and just waited.

OP
OP
MrJonnycat

MrJonnycat

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon
I’ve got 68.5” Dynatrac XD60s with 5.38s and 40s and I feel like it’s a little overgeared on the highway. 5.13s would likely be perfect. I bought the axles as-is because I didn’t want to wait months for a set of new axles but in hindsight I would have gone 5.13s/72.5” wide and just waited.
Yeah.....I played with the gear charts for days, flipping back and forth on 5.38's vs 5.13's and after running my Jeep in manual mode on the freeway at the given rpm's to see how it felt I decided on 5.13's. 4.88's would be better for the freeway, but the 5.13's get killer acceleration with the 40's. I went with the 72' D60's because I was told in order to get the steering throw the same as the D44's I needed to go that length. My Jeep gets dropped off at the shop in the morning for the new PCS Hydro Ram steering and 4.5" Metalcloak springs.

Sponsored

Tank2112

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392, Custom Jeep LJ
The set up on that was Fusion 70 inch, 1 ton axles front and rear, 2 1/2 ton steering with 5 1/2 inch springs on Metalcloak arms with Rocksport shocks.
You still have stock transfer case or Atlas?
If stock, any issues with clutches?

If stock t/c, guessing you run Taser in Forced2wd and unlock front hubs for hwy?

OP
OP
MrJonnycat

MrJonnycat

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon
You still have stock transfer case or Atlas?
If stock, any issues with clutches?

If stock t/c, guessing you run Taser in Forced2wd and unlock front hubs for hwy?
Yes, I was running the stock transfer case and no I didn’t have any issues with the clutches. Yes, I was running a Tazer when I wanted to run it into wheel drive.
Sponsored