Sponsored

Gauging interest - flex fuel option on 392 Rubicons

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Moab/2021 392 Rubicon
OK, so for those that don't know, we offer a flex fuel upgrade that allows for seamless use of E85 OR gasoline OR a blend of the two, without changing tunes on the 3.6 trucks, and it's pretty much what we are known for in the hemi world.

With that said, if we were to develop this for the 392, how many are interested?

Unlike the 3.6 it will require at least a change in fuel injectors to do so, we do know that from our offerings on other 392 vehicles.
Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
don't care. it's a NA engine. drinking corn juice only gonna shorten the already horrible range. cost saving? my Prius will do just fine.

OP
OP

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So on the other 6.4 applications we do this on, it makes almost another 20# of torque and 15-20hp over 93, so it's pretty killer even being NA. plus it's way cheaper to drive on per mile vs 91 or 93, even with it losing 1-2mpg vs gasoline.

OP
OP

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Livernois Motorsports Is it time to move on to the 2.0? :fingerscrossed:

I realize the 392 should take priority, but from the looks of this thread apparently the 392 owners are already satisfied.

I think people are still getting these, and many more to come, so I think that time will tell. the 2.0 is on the list, but unfortunately, even a regular tune will take some time to implement as it's completely unique compared to any application before it.

Sponsored

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
So on the other 6.4 applications we do this on, it makes almost another 20# of torque and 15-20hp over 93, so it's pretty killer even being NA. plus it's way cheaper to drive on per mile vs 91 or 93, even with it losing 1-2mpg vs gasoline.
I guess my answer is maybe. So I have owned flex fuel vehicles before and never bought E85 because the math did not work. For instance current prices near me are 2.68 for e85 and 3.21 for 91 octane. using 11mpg for e85 and 13 mpg for 91 come up with the same cost of .24 per mile.

Couple that with not every station has it so you have to possibly drive out of the way for it just basically makes no incentive to buy it and it comes down to paying to modify the 392 for a few more hp but no return on investment, for me, here locally anyway. maybe different in other areas. It also means less range and more trips to the gas station so really after thinking through it probably does not make sense for me.

OP
OP

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obviously specific situations will vary, but in Michigan, it's 2.19 for E85 today, and 3.69 for 93. so a huge difference in cost.

But, flex fuel obviously makes it so you don't have to do anything other than fill up and drive to use a different fuel. and the extra power is pretty noticeable as well vs 93. But we know this would be a case by case benefit for people.

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
Obviously specific situations will vary, but in Michigan, it's 2.19 for E85 today, and 3.69 for 93. so a huge difference in cost.

But, flex fuel obviously makes it so you don't have to do anything other than fill up and drive to use a different fuel. and the extra power is pretty noticeable as well vs 93. But we know this would be a case by case benefit for people.
Yeah I was comparing it with 91, it would be a better cost per mile than 93 here. Seems that would have a market in different areas of the country. Heck who knows maybe I will want more from the 392 just because I can, lol so who knows.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Interested although thereā€™s not a lot of E85 by me.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok, we decided we will likely work on it, this would be a no charge upgrade to those with our tuner if they purchase the other supporting parts from us.

Just in case anyone needed a reason to add more power now to add even more later!

Sponsored

aggiechris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 392
When are you going to put this on sale? Iā€™m ready! And already looking at new heads and cam!

MatthewAMEL

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '23 CT5 Blackwing, '18 Accord Touring
I guess my answer is maybe. So I have owned flex fuel vehicles before and never bought E85 because the math did not work. For instance current prices near me are 2.68 for e85 and 3.21 for 91 octane. using 11mpg for e85 and 13 mpg for 91 come up with the same cost of .24 per mile.

Couple that with not every station has it so you have to possibly drive out of the way for it just basically makes no incentive to buy it and it comes down to paying to modify the 392 for a few more hp but no return on investment, for me, here locally anyway. maybe different in other areas. It also means less range and more trips to the gas station so really after thinking through it probably does not make sense for me.
Where in Florida are you? I am in Orlando and I have E85 within 5 miles of my house in every direction. I run E85 in my 2017 Camaro for track days and there is plenty avail at Sebring, Daytona, PBIR, etc.

Not sure where you are getting your $$$ from. E85 is $2.20 on the Turnpike right now ($2.37 at RaceTrac) compared to $2.90 for 87. $3.60 for 93.

You usually break even on cost per mile. The reason to run E is the free boost in performance. In my Camaro, it is worth 20hp/45ft lbs. Not to mention it prevents build up in the motor compared to gasoline. FlexFuel is the ideal solution. Use what you can find and you don't have to worry about it.

Livernois has a fantastic rep in the tuner community.
Sponsored