Gas Theft and Skid Plates

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
You could always put a sticker on the gas tank that's viewable from under the car. "WARNING: Any hole drilled in this tank will result in an equal sized hole in your body"
A Desert Eagle would leave a lot bigger hole in a person than a drill...
Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Down here they don’t use a drill. They use a knife or gouge an ugly hole with a screwdriver.
During one of the last gas hikes they were cutting a point on a piece of pipe. Push the car up, wedge the pipe in then push the car down. Punched a hole in it like an oil spout in an old oil can. Whatever is cheap and easy.

Slev

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
So...one troubling and unexpected result of skyrocketing gas prices has been the dramatic increase in gas theft by idiots drilling holes in our vulnerable plastic gas tanks. As soon as I heard about this, I took a close look at mine and noticed the many possible places that one could easily drill into the tank, even though it has the standard factory skid plate. Obviously, plastic tanks are much more difficult to repair than steel or aluminum, and usually have to be replaced. To make matters worse, I checked on replacement tank availability with my local Jeep dealership, and they advised that the lead time is currently 12 days and rapidly getting worse due to typical supply chain issues. Should this trend continue, gas tanks will soon be as scarce as microchips.

Unfortunately, the few gas tank skid plates that I have seen are designed only to protect the underside from impact, and offer limited to no protection for the sides/rear, leaving them extremely vulnerable. This is reasonable, as they were designed for off-road protection, NOT a$$hole gas thieves who drain the life out of beloved Jeeps. A car alarm doesn't necessarily help in this situation, as the thieves will just run away after they drill a hole and trigger the alarm; even though they won't get your gas, you'll still be left with a hole in your tank. While thieves could feasibly drill through a metal enclosure or gas tank, the additional time, effort, and risk would probably be sufficient to just make them move on to another unprotected vehicle.

Just wondering if anyone has seen a complete enclosure, metal tank, or anything else that might discourage gas theft. Look forward to learning/sharing more with the group so we can protect our investments in both vehicle and gas!
Getting bad up here in Canada espic with gas at almost $7.00 a gallon. ( $1.739 a litre). seem to target vehicles that sit for a few days.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
The Metalcloak skid plates on my wife's JLUR would slow down a drill for a little while. They are thick steel and completely cover the bottom and the outer side of the tank. The inner side of the tank would be tough to get a drill in position because of the driveshaft. The only vulnerable part is the back of the tank, and even that would be awkward to get a drill in position because of suspension components. They could still do it, but it would take more time and effort than just laying down beside the vehicle and drilling into the outer side of the tank, or the bottom of the tank with the stock skid plate in place. The Metalcloak skids cover the stock skids, so they would have to drill through two layers of skid plate. It could still be done though. If a thief is determined enough, they are going to get what they want.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gas Theft and Skid Plates jlur-undercloak-jpe

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Getting bad up here in Canada espic with gas at almost $7.00 a gallon. ( $1.739 a litre). seem to target vehicles that sit for a few days.
Yikes...if gas theft is that bad in Canada, it must be worse on this side of the border! So sorry to hear that prices are that high for you all too. For what it's worth, I've seen $7.00/gal in California, and suspect other localities will be seeing similar prices soon enough.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
Wow! The OP asked about skid plate recommendations for our fuel tanks, and even after multiple reminders of the intent of the thread, the keyboard-warriors insist on telling him it's a dumb idea or how repairs are possible. I'm ashamed I don't have any recommendations but I'd also like to see some better options. I appreciate the comments on the NV and MetalCloak options, and the only worthy comments throughout four pages...

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! The OP asked about skid plate recommendations for our fuel tanks, and even after multiple reminders of the intent of the thread, the keyboard-warriors insist on telling him it's a dumb idea or how repairs are possible. I'm ashamed I don't have any recommendations but I'd also like to see some better options. I appreciate the comments on the NV and MetalCloak options, and the only worthy comments throughout four pages...
Don't be ashamed...lots of us have the same question, so just hoping we could have an intelligent discussion and discover some good ideas to help our JL community. Perhaps it is a dumb idea to some, but I'd feel dumb(er) having not addressed this issue when we have so many people here who could chime in with their expertise and recommendations. I think that's the purpose of these forums anyway, right?;)

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Sad but not surprising that more and more folks feel like wolves and attack the flock. The Shepards are pulling back not because of the cry of wolf but because civil lliberty lawyers are breaking down the system needed for the good of the people. IMHO, It does not help that few young folks have a clue what the 10 comandments are about , much less what they are.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
IMHO, It does not help that few young folks have a clue what the 10 comandments are about , much less what they are.
Or even the golden rule for that matter :(

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Or even the golden rule for that matter :(
...I'll even take "don't be a d1ckhead!"

Apparently, some people just can't help being one, when they have the luxury of hiding behind a computer.

Eischman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
So...one troubling and unexpected result of skyrocketing gas prices has been the dramatic increase in gas theft by idiots drilling holes in our vulnerable plastic gas tanks.

NOT a$$hole gas thieves who drain the life out of beloved Jeeps.
Time to load the 12ga with ROCK SALT!

Eischman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Dash cam set in Parking Mode may help, after reading this I might upgrade mine to the camera that mounts to the rear window also, If they see a camera they might think twice.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Jeep Wrangler JL Gas Theft and Skid Plates 1648327561904

Jeep Wrangler JL Gas Theft and Skid Plates 1648327663634

Jeep Wrangler JL Gas Theft and Skid Plates 1648327601239

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
The Metalcloak skid plates on my wife's JLUR would slow down a drill for a little while. They are thick steel and completely cover the bottom and the outer side of the tank. The inner side of the tank would be tough to get a drill in position because of the driveshaft. The only vulnerable part is the back of the tank, and even that would be awkward to get a drill in position because of suspension components. They could still do it, but it would take more time and effort than just laying down beside the vehicle and drilling into the outer side of the tank, or the bottom of the tank with the stock skid plate in place. The Metalcloak skids cover the stock skids, so they would have to drill through two layers of skid plate. It could still be done though. If a thief is determined enough, they are going to get what they want.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gas Theft and Skid Plates 1648327601239
Quick question. I just ordered the complete MC skid set to replace my Q aluminum ones. Does this kit mount to the stock cross members and the transfer case/tranny skid? Thanks.
Sponsored