Sponsored

Gas Theft and Skid Plates

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
The stock transfer case and transmission skids are removed, and then the skid plates mount to the stock cross members. Metalcloak has full installation instructions on their web page if you want to take a look at them while waiting for your skid plates to arrive.
Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
The stock transfer case and transmission skids are removed, and then the skid plates mount to the stock cross members. Metalcloak has full installation instructions on their web page if you want to take a look at them while waiting for your skid plates to arrive.
Thanks a bunch!
I downloaded the instructions and watched a bunch of YT videos.

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have any solutions to offer up here, but the reas I found this thread is because it happened to me, too. I’m a service member, and I had my Jeep in storage for the last 2 1/2 years. I went to fill up after taking delivery, and near the top, gas poured out all over the concrete. I finally got it to the dealership since I don’t have tools or a place to work on it, and it turns out I have a hole drilled in the tank, and it’s $3K for a new one, install and fuel system maintenance. Oddly, the Jeep was stored in CA near Sacramento. The only silver lining is that they probably didn’t get any gas since they store it with only 1/4 tank. Can’t believe this is where we are today.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I don’t have any solutions to offer up here, but the reas I found this thread is because it happened to me, too. I’m a service member, and I had my Jeep in storage for the last 2 1/2 years. I went to fill up after taking delivery, and near the top, gas poured out all over the concrete. I finally got it to the dealership since I don’t have tools or a place to work on it, and it turns out I have a hole drilled in the tank, and it’s $3K for a new one, install and fuel system maintenance. Oddly, the Jeep was stored in CA near Sacramento. The only silver lining is that they probably didn’t get any gas since they store it with only 1/4 tank. Can’t believe this is where we are today.
Just lucky California doesn’t fine you for having a vented gas tank. That’s illegal here. They wouldn’t prosecute the criminals who drilled a hole in your tank but they would prosecute you in a second. That’s how we got here.

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just lucky California doesn’t fine you for having a vented gas tank. That’s illegal here. They wouldn’t prosecute the criminals who drilled a hole in your tank but they would prosecute you in a second. That’s how we got here.
Crazy, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
As a follow up, here’s my tank. They drilled above the skid plate which would only get you a cup full of gas at best. They didn’t get any in this case because it was in storage with less than 1/4 tank. In essence, they just destroyed my tank for nothing. Welcome back.

CE05D469-8CE6-400B-A2DA-454031589A6A.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
As a follow up, here’s my tank. They drilled above the skid plate which would only get you a cup full of gas at best. They didn’t get any in this case because it was in storage with less than 1/4 tank. In essence, they just destroyed my tank for nothing. Welcome back.
Wow...so sorry to see this happening. Call me crazy, but with the rise in gas theft by this method, as well as ongoing supply chain issues, I actually purchased a new gas tank and stashed it away for a rainy day. I know that probably sounds like overkill to some, but I really don't want my favorite driver down hard for weeks/months just because some a$$hole punched a hole in my tank.

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR

CE05D469-8CE6-400B-A2DA-454031589A6A.jpeg
That is the hole for the siphon. Full tank, 1/4 tank or somewhere in between, they could get it all.

Smoke Showing

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
What kind of plastic do they use for the tanks? There are plastic “welding rods” available for repairs on kayaks. Most kayaks are a HDPE So this may be a $20 fix.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
These stories make me wonder if there are just human animals who run around at night 24/7 trying to steal anything worth more than a dollar. I know times are hard, but damn. That was just simply destructive to drill into your tank like that for (at the most) $40-70 of gasoline.

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
These stories make me wonder if there are just human animals who run around at night 24/7 trying to steal anything worth more than a dollar. I know times are hard, but damn. That was just simply destructive to drill into your tank like that for (at the most) $40-70 of gasoline.
And are they using the gas themselves? Every time the fuel light comes on they charge up the Dewalt and start prowling? Or are they selling it on . . . the gasoline black market? Can you fence gasoline? Out of what, barrels in some guy's garage? Can I buy some?

So many questions . . .

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
And are they using the gas themselves? Every time the fuel light comes on they charge up the Dewalt and start prowling? Or are they selling it on . . . the gasoline black market? Can you fence gasoline? Out of what, barrels in some guy's garage? Can I buy some?

So many questions . . .
“The gasoline black market…”. omg you got me with that one! :LOL:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

So many questions . . .
I use mid grade and paid $4.50/gal today here in CO.. transitional inflation my a**

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
That is the hole for the siphon. Full tank, 1/4 tank or somewhere in between, they could get it all.
Exactly - a hole anywhere and a cheap battery operated siphon like I have - or even a hand-crank B&D siphon, and they can empty the tank. The hole isn't always for letting it drain into a pan.
I can empty gallons of gas in a very short time with a battery operated siphon pump - the pump starts the siphon, then gravity does the rest. .

I used to solder steel tanks. People would come into the shop with fuel system issues, crud in the tank from a bad station. I'd knock a hole in the bottom corner, drain the tank, put a sheet meter screw in and solder it. I've soldered a lot of steel tanks, including this one where some fool put long screws down through the floor of the truck to hold something in place.........what a maroon.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gas Theft and Skid Plates soldering-copper-07

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the same thing about a siphon, but since it was in storage, there was less that a 1/4 tank. Pretty sure they came up empty regardless of what they were doing.

For the rest of the story, the military claims office agreed with our assessment and reimbursed the cost and are now going back to the contractor. So all told, I lost the vehicle for a little while, had to fill out a bunch of forms, and now I have a new tank and a pair of LP6s (I also had my lights stolen while in storage). The lights were a great upgrade, and I kind of consider them as a token for my troubles.

0A8346A7-D9C3-48D4-8EE9-1E6FFAB513DB.jpeg
Sponsored