Sponsored

Gas pouring out when tank is full on a steep hill!?!

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Has any one else noticed that gas leaks out when you go up a steep slope with a full gas tank?
I do not over fill my tank...I stop filling when the gas pump nozzle clicks off. With a full tank
I went up a steep rock incline and parked on the incline. Within a minute I noticed some gas on the incline!
Is this a common situation: a full tank 'leaking' when on a steep incline?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
No- not at all. That’s all sorts of dangerous. If that would have dropped on to a hot muffler or piping- that’s a recipe for disaster. Unless you were at some massive incline or you WAY overfilled it- you should have had pouring out on graded pavement.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Has any one else noticed that gas leaks out when you go up a steep slope with a full gas tank?
I do not over fill my tank...I stop filling when the gas pump nozzle clicks off. With a full tank
I went up a steep rock incline and parked on the incline. Within a minute I had at a least a cupful puddle of gas on the incline!
Is this a common situation: a full tank 'leaking' when on a steep incline?
Danger Danger Take to Dealer Immediately .

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Was this on a JL or JK?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Were you at a 90 degree angle on some rocks?

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Nope...imagine a steep driveway and I was not tilted sideways. Back on flat ground, no problem...no dripping. First thought it was rain water dripping from an old rainstorm from several days ago. I had to park it on the steep incline for a few minutes...then noticed liquid on the ground. Smelled the liquid...gasoline! This has me spooked. I am wondering if the line fittings to the gas tank are loose. This is the first steep angle I have had the new Jeep on. Dropped it off at my dealer to take a look.

Addenda: Both ends are leaking! The 8 speed auto is also leaking...Dealer looked underneath and noticed significant amount of trans fluid also dripping! Got home and checked drive way and parking spot...no trans fluid. So the trans leak developed on the way to the dealer!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That is bad, I'm not sure how much digging you would have to do but a forum member's infamous 'spicy mojito' burned up on the side of the road and evidence suggested fuel leaks.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Nope...imagine a steep driveway and I was not tilted sideways. Back on flat ground, no problem...no dripping. First thought it was rain water dripping from an old rainstorm from several days ago. I had to park it on the steep incline for a few minutes...then noticed liquid on the ground. Smelled the liquid...gasoline! This has me spooked. I am wondering if the line fittings to the gas tank are loose. This is the first steep angle I have had the new Jeep on. Dropped it off at my dealer to take a look.

Addenda: Both ends are leaking! The 8 speed auto is also leaking...Dealer looked underneath and noticed significant amount of trans fluid also dripping! Got home and checked drive way and parking spot...no trans fluid. So the trans leak developed on the way to the dealer!

Call Mike Manley , CEO . Call NHTSA . This is way serious . Danger - Danger Flag .

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If you could share Mike Manley’s DIRECT number that would be helpful to all the people you tell to call him.
I don't have his direct number . U.S. Mail and e-mail are the only means I can suggest . A list of e-mail addresses was posted on a Forum , but maybe it's not direct . Maybe it goes to a staff . Try : [email protected] . His staff will certainly will want to know about a gasoline leak immediately . What if someone is smoking around that ? Gasolene is flammable . This is not a small matter . This is a serious matter . Danger - danger flag .