Sponsored

Gas on/under the car

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I'm almost positive this is a stupid question, but humor me:

This evening, I drove through some sort of gas spill, which resulted in gas on the back of my car and underneath as well. I've managed to get the gas off the back/sides of the car at the self car wash, and gave the undercarriage a good power spray, but I'm wondering if it's harmful if I didn't get it all off? I understand the road has oil, gas, etc. and I'm constantly driving through it, therefore getting that stuff on the bottom of the car anyway, but it's not generally a spraying of it like I had tonight.

Should I get under there and do a more thorough cleaning, or is it okay to be down there? You know, new car and all....
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'm almost positive this is a stupid question, but humor me:

This evening, I drove through some sort of gas spill, which resulted in gas on the back of my car and underneath as well. I've managed to get the gas off the back/sides of the car at the self car wash, and gave the undercarriage a good power spray, but I'm wondering if it's harmful if I didn't get it all off? I understand the road has oil, gas, etc. and I'm constantly driving through it, therefore getting that stuff on the bottom of the car anyway, but it's not generally a spraying of it like I had tonight.

Should I get under there and do a more thorough cleaning, or is it okay to be down there? You know, new car and all....
Since you already gave it a good power spray.

You’ll be fine.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It's all good.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Did this happen to your new Car or your new Jeep?

just giving you heck. We don’t call them cars.

Sounds like you got your Jeep taken care of.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

only thing i would do differently is many a little 303 aerospace protectant or a plastic shiner under the wheel wells and on the plastics just to help keep the fuel from drying them out. should be fine otherwise!

Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You did perfectly, you drive through all sorts of stuff on a daily basis. Rinsing it off the visible areas was a good move. Enjoy your Jeep, next time it rains and you’re driving anything else will be washed away.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Gas also evaporates pretty quickly, as stated, you're fine ;).

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Rinsing it off was more than enough. It would have evaporated if you hadn't.

A bit unrelated, but reminds me of a funny story.

In high school, let's just say that I didn't have the brightest girlfriend. We went to the gas station and she said she would pump the gas. She was out there for a while. I started smelling gas strongly, I also heard the pump turn off multiple times. I didn't think much of the pump turning off because it was common with that car.

When I smelled the gas, I knew something wasn't right. I look out and there was gas pouring down the side of the car and a puddle easily twice the size of the car on the ground...

I got out, told her to turn off the pump, and asked what she was doing. She said, "The gas keeps coming out." I informed her that this was due to the tank being full. She laughed and said "ooooooh." I asked her why she didn't stop. Her response was " You told me to put $10 in...."

Gas was less than $1 at the time. I probably ended up with 5 gallons in the tank and 6 gallons on the ground....

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Happened to us in the dark. We got underneath and lit my Zippo but found no gasoline.
burning clothes.jpg

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It should be fine. I had a work truck in the early 80's - 1/2 ton Chevy with a diesel. Back when Chevy just cheaply converted the 350 gas engine to a diesel with no further considerations. Every 200 mile run would leak 2 quarts of oil since the engine wasn't actually designed for this use. All that oil went down and sprayed the underside of the truck, tailgate and probably anyone closely following. When I left it had close to 200k miles and no issues other than it smelling like oil and diesel.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Check your fuses to make sure they are all seated. Also check tire PSI

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the humor and people giving me a hard time. Good to put my mind at ease. And sorry for the delay - I guess I hadn't marked this forum as wanting to follow it, so hadn't been getting updates.
Sponsored