Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Diesel??? Lord no. 500 more lbs over the front axle and a 1500-4K powerband haha. I just want a cam that makes max torque lower than the current 3.6.

the diesel is bs. I’ll turbo this V6 before a diesel is put in MY Jeep.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Did the dealer recalibrate the speedometer to account for the 35's if not the mileage may be off?
So they said they did but I’m gonna che
Between $3k and $4k depending on condition and if they come with brakes, etc. For me I would just trade the vehicle in though (if you can do the labor yourself to swap mods over) as the Rubi vin will hold value better assuming you don't go nuts on options. The Rubicon is $7000 more on the JLU (MSRP anyway) but you get a lot with it. However, one thing is for sure -- JL's are not holding value as well as JK's, already.

- Axles
- Tcase
- Fenders
- Bumpers (though most go after market)
- Hood (if you want it).
- etc

If you swap just the axles and tcase in, after cost of labor and flashing, you will be ahead with the Rubicon. Only thing that complicates it are mods already done and trade value discrepancies. So for instance, I could get my same deal I got before (~13% off MSRP) and with trading my '19 in for a new one with a diesel I'd have to come out of pocket around $4,000. But I had the highest optioned one you could buy, leased it, put no money down, and it's less than a year into the lease (just hit 10k miles).
For that price I literally may go through the dealer being they are about 5 and still keep the warranty and I can get 4.56 4.88 gears through them. I dunno I’m so worried about keeping the warranty We’ll see I’m just gonna drive it as is for now and do my best to enjoy it and keep her as nice as possible

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
So they said they did but I’m gonna che

For that price I literally may go through the dealer being they are about 5 and still keep the warranty and I can get 4.56 4.88 gears through them. I dunno I’m so worried about keeping the warranty We’ll see I’m just gonna drive it as is for now and do my best to enjoy it and keep her as nice as possible
You would likely give up the warranty through Chrysler if you went to 4.56 or 4.88's since you are opening up the stock axles. $5k seems too low for new create axles installed from a dealer. I could live with the 4.10's. Long term I think you're better off trading up.

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
You would likely give up the warranty through Chrysler if you went to 4.56 or 4.88's since you are opening up the stock axles. $5k seems too low for new create axles installed from a dealer. I could live with the 4.10's. Long term I think you're better off trading up.
Yeah I spoke to them today. My problem is I bought my truck from them like it is lifted with 35s and it’s new. It doesn’t use 8th gear that’s just not right. I’ll complain until I’m blue In the face. I’ll reach as far as I can up to the top about this. May seem silly to some but how can u get a new Jeep that doesn’t use 8th gear when they built it..... I didn’t ask for the biuld it’s how they had it for sale. I’m sure I’ll be catching crap for this but to me a brand new vehicle should be put together correctly. How am I wrong

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I spoke to them today. My problem is I bought my truck from them like it is lifted with 35s and it’s new. It doesn’t use 8th gear that’s just not right. I’ll complain until I’m blue In the face. I’ll reach as far as I can up to the top about this. May seem silly to some but how can u get a new Jeep that doesn’t use 8th gear when they built it..... I didn’t ask for the biuld it’s how they had it for sale. I’m sure I’ll be catching crap for this but to me a brand new vehicle should be put together correctly. How am I wrong
Totally understand where you are coming from, but it did not come from the factory like that. So your complaint is with the dealer, who will just ignore you into eternity without consequences... unfortunately. I mean my stock JL wouldn't use 8th gear at altitude. I know you are trying to get a free re-gear, but I doubt that will happen, but hope it does for you. Either way, it won't include a warranty from FCA.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Totally understand where you are coming from, but it did not come from the factory like that. So your complaint is with the dealer, who will just ignore you into eternity without consequences... unfortunately. I mean my stock JL wouldn't use 8th gear at altitude. I know you are trying to get a free re-gear, but I doubt that will happen, but hope it does for you. Either way, it won't include a warranty from FCA.
I’m just trying for them to allow me to regear it without losing my warranty man. It’s not right to sell a new Jeep and half ass the installation of mopar parts. That’s wrong

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m just trying for them to allow me to regear it without losing my warranty man. It’s not right to sell a new Jeep and half ass the installation of mopar parts. That’s wrong
You are spending money at the dealer right? To add axles? Honestly, I think you can get them to re-gear it before installing the Rubicon axles for a very low additional cost. They did not half ass the install by choosing not to re-gear the axles. It's a customer satisfaction issue (gray area), but they didn't do something incorrectly or only partially.

But no matter what you do, and what the dealer tells you -- the FCA warranty will not be in tact and it will be up to the dealer to fix things if the warranty is denied on their dime.

FWIW, these things are pretty stout though and it's pretty unlikely you will destroy something where a warranty would apply anyway. For example, if I broke mine four wheeling, that's on me, and there is a good chance the warranty would likely not apply (even on a stock vehicle). If I broke it driving down the road (statistically unlikely) it would apply.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
You are spending money at the dealer right? To add axles? Honestly, I think you can get them to re-gear it before installing the Rubicon axles for a very low additional cost. They did not half ass the install by choosing not to re-gear the axles. It's a customer satisfaction issue (gray area), but they didn't do something incorrectly or only partially.

But no matter what you do, and what the dealer tells you -- the FCA warranty will not be in tact and it will be up to the dealer to fix things if the warranty is denied on their dime.

FWIW, these things are pretty stout though and it's pretty unlikely you will destroy something where a warranty would apply anyway. For example, if I broke mine four wheeling, that's on me, and there is a good chance the warranty would likely not apply (even on a stock vehicle). If I broke it driving down the road (statistically unlikely) it would apply.
Axels would be future bro. I just got this. I am pushing for cooperation to regear so the truck can use 8th gear correctly

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
I’m getting around 20 on pavement, 488s with 35/12.5/17 MT/Rs and the 2L e torque. Haven’t been off road yet, breaking in the new gears...

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor

I had dealer change mine to 4.88s for same reason. It had a pinion gear fail at 3500 miles. It was replaced under warranty and got a ram rebel to drive for a week. All under warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
I had dealer change mine to 4.88s for same reason. It had a pinion gear fail at 3500 miles. It was replaced under warranty and got a ram rebel to drive for a week. All under warranty.
what model is your Jeep

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That makes more sense since it was an approved warranty claim (and gears are gears, not a huge strength difference going to 4.88). The ram rebel for a week is sweet!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m getting around 20 on pavement, 488s with 35/12.5/17 MT/Rs and the 2L e torque. Haven’t been off road yet, breaking in the new gears...
Pretty solid. Those tires are light. What else is done to your Jeep -- i.e., what bumpers? winch? what wheels? 20 would give me a lot more range if I decided to run KO2's for daily, which would be nice for long trips where I am not wheeling.

What were you getting before the 4.88 swap?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Eventually I may deal with the axels and I would be fine with rubi take offs. However I have the 8 speed and compared to my jk auto it’s so nice. I’ll see how she goes .... what are people paying for rubi takenoff axels? Any idea
Roughly 3500-4000 for both with lockers