Gas mileage when lifted with 35s?

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
3.6 JL, 315's with 4.56 gearing. On road trips from SLC to Moab I average between 18-21 depending on speed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
3.6 JL, 315's with 4.56 gearing. On road trips from SLC to Moab I average between 18-21 depending on speed.
You geared your stick axels...... people bitch about why would you do that. I would like to I just would like my dealer to bless me and still honor the warranty. I’m trying for that we’ll see They put the lift and wheels on I simply saw the Jeep on the floor and liked it because of the addons but from day one I said it needs gears.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
You geared your stick axels...... people bitch about why would you do that. I would like to I just would like my dealer to bless me and still honor the warranty. I’m trying for that we’ll see They put the lift and wheels on I simply saw the Jeep on the floor and liked it because of the addons but from day one I said it needs gears.
Everyone's situation is different, I don't care about the warranty to be frank. On my JK I made the mistake of putting gears off until the last mod, this time it was the first thing I did. I believe there is more to gain overall by re-gearing than any other mod. Just my 2 pennies worth.

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else with a two door that their dash says 221 miles for range. 221 miles for a 18.5 gallon tank?
That's about what I'm getting right now. 13.4 average about 220 ish on range. All city driving with a lot of time idling at a fast food drive thru and remote starts on cold mornings. If I take it down to 20-30 miles remaining on a tank I can put in about 14 gallons. Most it's ever taken is 14.5 gallons. I'm on 35's with 3" of lift and an auto tranny with 3.45 gears 2 door sport v6. Long highway trips average about 18 mpg @ 70-75 mph. I only have 2100 miles on it.

n2jeep

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I've got right at 2000 miles on my 2020 JLU Rubicon. I've got the 2.0 turbo and 2" mopar with 35" tall tires and I'm averaging 19.5mpg with city/hwy combined driving. I calibrated speedometer with the supchips flashcal. I'm very impressed so far.

Sponsored

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
Hey guys I recently traded in my 2 door stock Jk willys for a 2018 left over 2 door sport S with a mopar lift and 35/12.5/17r falken at3s ..... just picked it up Saturday......my question is what up with my millage.... seems like it’s low at about 12 mpg. I left the dealer with a full tank and drove 165 miles home on the highway.... now I did drive at different speeds as it’s brand new but really that’s it lol. I was told the cpu was adjusted for tire size, speedo, and tire pressure when I asked ..... however they forgot the antenna sooo I’m not sure I believe them. Anyway it’s stock 3.45 gearing and I know it’s should be changed but is this right. Seems really low. Btw it’s a pentastar v6 and full tank range said 221 when I filled it this morning. Something seems pretty off. I’m
Debating bringing it back thinking something is wrong with this Jeep
Me: 2019 Rubicon 2-door, V6, 2" lift with 35's, 4k miles total, overall average is about 14 mpg right now. 500 miles of that was with the stock tires. 2000 miles of that is with some heavier ProComp wheels that I will be ditching soon. Not sure how many miles of the 4k total were offroad, but probably around 800, and that is what really dips the fuel mileage. I am running Milestar Patagonias, and they were slightly lighter than the stock 33's that came on the Jeep. They are also considerably lighter than the tires that the OP is running. I think gearing and tire weight are your biggest issues. I feel that the 4.10's in mine are barely adequate for the 35's, if you want to actually use 8th gear on the highway.

I am sure my mileage would be more in the 16-18mpg range if I didnt go offroad so much.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You're focusing on the wrong things. The range when you fill up is based on the mileage you've been getting, so at 12mpg the range is going to suck. You need to figure out why your MPGs are so low. First you need to test your speedo against a gps (waze on your phone works great). If that checks out it's probably a combination of lower MPGs during break-in, your computer still learning the new tire size/your driving style, and you're likely just putting your foot in it too much. 35s with your stock gearing are gonna lug out on heavy acceleration. Watch the live MPG page on your dash and you'll see exactly what I mean. I'd put 500-800 miles on it before I'd be too concerned. A re-gear would definitely be at the top of my mod list if I had 35s with 3.45 gears. I'm running 37s with 4.10 gears and the 6sp manual. I can change my MPGs drastically with just a little change of the skinny pedal.

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
You're focusing on the wrong things. The range when you fill up is based on the mileage you've been getting, so at 12mpg the range is going to suck. You need to figure out why your MPGs are so low. First you need to test your speedo against a gps (waze on your phone works great). If that checks out it's probably a combination of lower MPGs during break-in, your computer still learning the new tire size/your driving style, and you're likely just putting your foot in it too much. 35s with your stock gearing are gonna lug out on heavy acceleration. Watch the live MPG page on your dash and you'll see exactly what I mean. I'd put 500-800 miles on it before I'd be too concerned. A re-gear would definitely be at the top of my mod list if I had 35s with 3.45 gears. I'm running 37s with 4.10 gears and the 6sp manual. I can change my MPGs drastically with just a little change of the skinny pedal.
You guys make me feel better. For now I’m gonna chill out and enjoy it. It’s not a daily and I gotta get some miles on her anyway. Just gonna pay her down stay on top of takin care of her and little things. Change the grill sv4 headlights morimoto fogs are first up. I’ll wait a bit but I’m gonna hear it and I’m not sure but I think 4.56 from what I’ve read but well see

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
That's about what I'm getting right now. 13.4 average about 220 ish on range. All city driving with a lot of time idling at a fast food drive thru and remote starts on cold mornings. If I take it down to 20-30 miles remaining on a tank I can put in about 14 gallons. Most it's ever taken is 14.5 gallons. I'm on 35's with 3" of lift and an auto tranny with 3.45 gears 2 door sport v6. Long highway trips average about 18 mpg @ 70-75 mph. I only have 2100 miles on it.
We should stay in touch. I’ll let u know what happens. Thursday I’m gonna take a trip I just don’t know where but gonna waste some gas lol

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Would the dealer have a tuner..... I was told they calibrated the cpu for tire size speedo and tire pressure was reset. At full tank the range says 221 when I fill up. I’m hoping they just messed something up because I really want to keep her. But I got it sat and I will be going back with both keys today basically saying you can make this right or keep it
Hahaha... no. I bought a Wrangler and the mileage sucks take it back. You signed a purchase contract. There is nothing wrong with the Jeep it's a brick on a brick. Deal with it or sell it

Sponsored

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
What gas are you using? Cheap NJ gas? Delta or some no brand? Remember too, winter blend of gas in NJ gets poorer mileage, my Tacoma can vary 3-5 mpg lower during the winter months. I think you'll do just fine, put some miles on it and try a top tier fuel, you should see a difference. I have a 2 dr. JLR on order, it will be my DD, I hope to God it gets better than 12 mpg... :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Hahaha... no. I bought a Wrangler and the mileage sucks take it back. You signed a purchase contract. There is nothing wrong with the Jeep it's a brick on a brick. Deal with it or sell it
It’s my second my first was a jk. And ya can bring a car back thanks for your garbage insight. Merry Christmas thanks for your useless smart ass response hope you made ur self feel better by being a prick

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
What gas are you using? Cheap NJ gas? Delta or some no brand? Remember too, winter blend of gas in NJ gets poorer mileage, my Tacoma can vary 3-5 mpg lower during the winter months. I think you'll do just fine, put some miles on it and try a top tier fuel, you should see a difference. I have a 2 dr. JLR on order, it will be my DD, I hope to God it gets better than 12 mpg... :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:
I am in jersey I used lukoil not sure how that’s rates What would your suggestion for brand be

OP
OP
TheAnimal

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Me: 2019 Rubicon 2-door, V6, 2" lift with 35's, 4k miles total, overall average is about 14 mpg right now. 500 miles of that was with the stock tires. 2000 miles of that is with some heavier ProComp wheels that I will be ditching soon. Not sure how many miles of the 4k total were offroad, but probably around 800, and that is what really dips the fuel mileage. I am running Milestar Patagonias, and they were slightly lighter than the stock 33's that came on the Jeep. They are also considerably lighter than the tires that the OP is running. I think gearing and tire weight are your biggest issues. I feel that the 4.10's in mine are barely adequate for the 35's, if you want to actually use 8th gear on the highway.

I am sure my mileage would be more in the 16-18mpg range if I didnt go offroad so much.
With your 4.10 gears do you see 8th gear a reasonable amount. I ask because you said barely adequate. Just wondering. If I’m gonna do it I’m probably looking at 4.56

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
With your 4.10 gears do you see 8th gear a reasonable amount. I ask because you said barely adequate. Just wondering. If I’m gonna do it I’m probably looking at 4.56
Don't read too much into the smart-assed comments. I can be smart-assed too but, hey, it's still the Christmas season. Anyway, these guys that you say are giving you crap are also giving you the biggest reason for your dog-shit mpg so don't just totally dismiss them. Your biggest issue is undoubtedly the gears. The other stuff (re-calibrating the speedo for the tire size, playing with shift points, waiting for the Jeep to "learn", etc...) may show some minor improvements but you are very unlikely to see a dramatic difference until the gear change. You are just at a huge disadvantage right now trying to turn a much larger diameter tire with all of the extra weight and rolling resistance with those stock gears. Just enjoy the Jeep until you can get the gears and then worry about the gas mileage of a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick.
Sponsored