Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase

jmann99999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
I picked up my Sahara outside of Boise today and drove it back to Salt Lake. I tried to do a 300 mile break-in driving between 50-60 MPH. Doing that I got 25.1 avg MPG.

I'll never get that again because I'll be driving 75 MPH... but it's nice to know I could.

IMG_1888.JPG

Ribixcon

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Rubicon
Just a subjective observation:

Over the last 2 weeks I was on vacation driving around eastern Canada in a rented 2018 Dodge Caravan 3.6L V6 mini-van. On the first gas refill, at an "Irving" gas station in Quebec City, I was surprised to learn that at some Canadian stations they don't post the actual octane rating numbers on the pump. They just had 3 labels, which were called "Ordinaire", "Plus Sans Plumb" and I think "Premium". I was about empty, so I put in nearly a whole tankful of Ordinaire - I don't know what it's actual octane rating was or if it contained ethanol. Soon after I drove away, I detected a noticeable loss of power compared to whatever gas had been in it when I picked up the rental car.

This is the first time I have detected a real difference in performance by using a higher octane gas than called for by the manufacturer. This may have been due to the fact that the van was heavily loaded with 6 passengers and their luggage. Although I failed to do the calculations, I suspect I also got worse mileage on the lower octane. After that I always used the mid-octane level gas and it seemed to help the performance.
You will only feel a difference in performance with a lower octane fuel, IF the engine requires a higher octane. If it doesn’t require a higher octane gas, it will absolutely make no difference.
Higher octane gas is required if the compression in your engine is high (the higher octane will avoid the combustion starting before the spark plug initiates it).

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I haven't been on the highway more than 50 miles so far. I have 2,000 miles on my rubi, nearly all city driving and I'm averaging 18.1. Much more than I expected...

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
My Rubicon fuel mileage has gotten better after 2300 miles I am now averaging 18.5 at 75MPH at 70mph 19.5 - 20mpg
The first 1500 miles nothing better than 16 plus I reset the it after every fill up so far its all good

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Stock Sport auto on all terrains. I'm pretty happy with it. I'm getting about 2-3 mpg less than I did with my Mazdaspeed3 on the same commute.

20180518_072735.jpg
At what speed

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
My Rubicon fuel mileage has gotten better after 2300 miles I am now averaging 18.5 at 75MPH at 70mph 19.5 - 20mpg
The first 1500 miles nothing better than 16 plus I reset the it after every fill up so far its all good

Essentially the same results here, mpg on my JLUR has improved substantially over 5,000 miles

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Stock JLUR. 6-speed manual. 8 weeks. 2k miles. I consistently get about 17mpg. 70/30 city/hwy driving.

Sponsored

joshua.mcguoirk

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 JLS, 1997 TJ & 2003 KJ
Stock JLUR. 6-speed manual. 8 weeks. 2k miles. I consistently get about 17mpg. 70/30 city/hwy driving.
Pretty much what I get with the same set-up. My best so far is 19 mpg at 75 mph; Philadelphia to North Jersey.
On average, right around the 17 mpg mark doing mostly city of Philadelphia driving. Gotta get it out on the trails!

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Driving ~2k miles round trip next week to/from South Florida for July 4. Looking forward to using 5th and 6th gears on the highway and getting above 17mpg.

ParthianShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Essentially the same results here, mpg on my JLUR has improved substantially over 5,000 miles
Why is that? I’ve got about 100 miles on my Rubicon and I’ve been disappointed with with 16-17mpg.

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
I didn't read through the entire thread, but here's what I noticed on my 2017 JK:

1. Don't run Ethanol if you have the option not to. I had to once on a long trip and lost almost 2 mpg on the highway.
2. Mileage will improve after you get a few thousand, maybe up to 7k miles on it. Not much but maybe 1-1.5 mpg.

My JK gets 18-20mpg in Spring/Summer/Fall
In the Winter it's more like 16-18 with extreme cold and the fuel formulas are rumored to be changed in Winter months which could change MPG.
I don't notice much of a difference in 4WD high. It might make a 0.5mpg difference.

Wife is getting a JLU shortly. We'll see if it fits the same pattern or not.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Just a subjective observation:

Over the last 2 weeks I was on vacation driving around eastern Canada in a rented 2018 Dodge Caravan 3.6L V6 mini-van. On the first gas refill, at an "Irving" gas station in Quebec City, I was surprised to learn that at some Canadian stations they don't post the actual octane rating numbers on the pump. They just had 3 labels, which were called "Ordinaire", "Plus Sans Plumb" and I think "Premium". I was about empty, so I put in nearly a whole tankful of Ordinaire - I don't know what it's actual octane rating was or if it contained ethanol. Soon after I drove away, I detected a noticeable loss of power compared to whatever gas had been in it when I picked up the rental car.

This is the first time I have detected a real difference in performance by using a higher octane gas than called for by the manufacturer. This may have been due to the fact that the van was heavily loaded with 6 passengers and their luggage. Although I failed to do the calculations, I suspect I also got worse mileage on the lower octane. After that I always used the mid-octane level gas and it seemed to help the performance.
It's odd that Irving would not have the octane on the pump (somewhere). Most brands here state that they ~could~ contain up to 10% ethanol.

"Ordinaire" is 87 octane, "Plus" is 89, "Premium" is 91 and a few brands have a "Super" at 94 octane. Where did you originally rent your vehicle? If your rental had a higher octane fuel in it, it would most likely be because the last renter filled it that way. That engine only needs 87 and with the price of regular gas here (today C$1.43/L or about US$4.25/G) there's no way anyone would willingly add the cost of premium.
Sponsored