Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
My third fill up and 20mpg. Mostly around town. Still happy camper.
Sponsored

Col Oliver

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler UL Rubicon, 2015 Indian Scout, 2015 Challenger Shaker, 1979 Triumph TR8
I just did a 888 mile drive in each direction. On the way up using cruise most of the way I averaged 20. Coming back I mostly managed the pedal and I got 21.7. I began the trip with about 1200 miles on the JL. Surprisingly comfy, exceeded my expectations. I wish I had heated seats though

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Hello everyone, looking for some help. I have now had my JLUR for a week. I have read and watched about every video on the JL since they started coming out and milage has been pretty consistent at the 18'ish mark (average). So, after my first tank I was at 14.6 and so far on my second tank I am barely pushing 13.5 (just filled up this afternoon) I now have 326 miles, it is mostly city driving, with about 80 miles on the highway, using start/stop, didn't take it over 50mph the first 100 miles and I have been driving it "lightly", definitely not heavy on the pedal. A little frustrated that the gas milage is so crappy and not understanding how everyone else is at least hitting the 18.0 mpg mark.
I think people have been saying that their numbers improved after the engine break-in.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Got about 700 miles on my JLUR after having it for week. I reset trip A after every fill up by leave trip B as is. On my third tank now and am getting 21 on the tank today with 20.1 on the total mileage.

Good mix of highway and city. City will always be worse due to stop and go. It takes a lot to get the rig moving, but once you’re cruising on the highway gas mileage is prettt good for a Rubicon. I suspect the sports and Sahara’s are getting much better numbers...hopefully in the 22-23 range.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I think most car gas mileage is worse in the winter months..engine working hard to warm up. Also, doesn't Costco have some fuel additives that may not be good for your ride?
Not too sure about that. From what I remember researching in the past, Costco gas is actually pretty good compared to other store gas like Sam's Club, Food 4 Less, etc. I try to pump Shell but sometimes Costco is significantly cheaper and I give in.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Not too sure about that. From what I remember researching in the past, Costco gas is actually pretty good compared to other store gas like Sam's Club, Food 4 Less, etc. I try to pump Shell but sometimes Costco is significantly cheaper and I give in.
Costco says it's Top Tier gas in both USA and Canada. Sometimes the line-up at Costco can be a pain though.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Costco says it's Top Tier gas in both USA and Canada. Sometimes the line-up at Costco can be a pain though.
Yup, top tier and tbh I get similar numbers when I pump Shell or Costco. Not getting the best MPG simply because it's still cold here and the heater is always on. Plus, I live 2 mins away from work, so my Jeep spends more time heating up (auto start) than actual driving.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Yup, top tier and tbh I get similar numbers when I pump Shell or Costco. Not getting the best MPG simply because it's still cold here and the heater is always on. Plus, I live 2 mins away from work, so my Jeep spends more time heating up (auto start) than actual driving.
The heat is free in an internal combustion engine. You are just using waste heat and helping cool the engine. A/C costs fuel though in summer.

But yes, when it's cold the transmission will not engage higher gears or the torque convertor clutch (assuming you have an auto) to help heat up to operating temperature more quickly, which for short trips kills your efficiency.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed my average has shot up from 19.5 to around 20.5 in the past week or so. Combination of warmer weather plus breaking in probably.

Moondog2525

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl sport s
Only had my sport for about a week, driven 150 miles and averaging 17.9 mostly city driving. I’m on Long Island though where highway driving is still full of stop/go. It’s also been freezing so I’m sure It will improve .

I’m coming from 10.2 mpg in my 2014 grand Cherokee. Yes, you read that right.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Only had my sport for about a week, driven 150 miles and averaging 17.9 mostly city driving. I’m on Long Island though where highway driving is still full of stop/go. It’s also been freezing so I’m sure It will improve .

I’m coming from 10.2 mpg in my 2014 grand Cherokee. Yes, you read that right.
wow, V8 in that GC?

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I bought my JLUR in Vegas, on the way home I avg 18 mpg.

Second tank 16 mpg. Third tank Now I'm getting 14ish mpg. I've kept it under 4k rpms and she has under 1000 miles on her

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Mostly town driving, right around 17mpg. I get lowest gas, though - might try mid or highest.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mostly town driving, right around 17mpg. I get lowest gas, though - might try mid or highest.
Getting Premium won't help, the 3.6 is designed for 87 octane.