Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The 8 speed really is amazing in the mountains. The first climb going into the mountains usually is rough for a jeep... We were in the fast lane not even pushing hard. Pulled away from a TRD Tacoma with no issues even.
That 8 speed takes a lot of adjustment for me. I was so used to 5 speed transmissions in my previous two trucks and two cars that having 8 speeds is really weird for me. I do like how my fuel economy numbers skyrocket when she hits 8th gear though.
Sponsored

LailaiJl

First Name
Laina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Jl Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
That 8 speed takes a lot of adjustment for me. I was so used to 5 speed transmissions in my previous two trucks and two cars that having 8 speeds is really weird for me. I do like how my fuel economy numbers skyrocket when she hits 8th gear though.
It took me a little to get used to having actual power behind the petal. It's awesome though... my normal drive is 4miles each way so I don't really get the best gas mileage on the norm I'm sorta a lead foot too. In the mountains we didn't get any cruising in 8th at all.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
It took me a little to get used to having actual power behind the petal. It's awesome though... my normal drive is 4miles each way so I don't really get the best gas mileage on the norm I'm sorta a lead foot too. In the mountains we didn't get any cruising in 8th at all.
lol, twice as many gears as miles in your commute. I can imagine you're at work before you can even turn on your heater.

LailaiJl

First Name
Laina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Jl Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
lol, twice as many gears as miles in your commute. I can imagine you're at work before you can even turn on your heater.

Yes that' why I demanded the cold weather package! The heated seats and steering wheel keep me warm!

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
With all the complaints I’ve made about rattles and uconnect, I have Great News! I took my first road trip and averaged 22.5 mpg (with the top off)! I was more than happy since in-town I’ve averaged 18.5 for my first three fill ups. As others have mentioned, the transmission is awesome! Now fix my rattles and uconnect and I’ll be Happy!

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Ok so it stopped snowing for a while and currently averaging 15.5 MPG. Still pretty low, not sure why. I mean I have an idea, I live two minutes away from work and the Jeep spends more time heating up (remote start) then actual driving. I don't do much highway, just a bunch of city driving and stop sign almost every other block.

I have been filling up with Shell and Costco gas.
Although not in a JL I personally have had really bad experiences with Costco gas. Seems I get significantly worse mileage, as in 2 MPG less with Costco vs Shell.

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Bikini Sahara Turbo, 2016 Mini Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
LED Lighting
With all the complaints I’ve made about rattles and uconnect, I have Great News! I took my first road trip and averaged 22.5 mpg (with the top off)! I was more than happy since in-town I’ve averaged 18.5 for my first three fill ups. As others have mentioned, the transmission is awesome! Now fix my rattles and uconnect and I’ll be Happy!
22.5 with the top off ? That is AWESOME!!!

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Just got 21.5 per the computer for my trip into Houston this weekend.

P.S.: that 8-speed is an engineering marvel! It is instantaneous.

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL

I drove to Surfside from dallas. There wasn’t any traffic on the way ther but getting home took forever. I’m guessing that’s why I had lower mpg but I’ll still take it! That’s much better than my tacoma!

Sponsored

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Bikini Sahara Turbo, 2016 Mini Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
LED Lighting

Music to my ears and the new 8-spd/Pentastar drivetrain is delivering great performance. Next time take off your top for an extra 2 mpg. Hahaha!

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Who’s championing one over the other? I like both, which is what the 2012 engine+transmission upgrade offered in 2012, and while this new transmission helps up efficiency and helps make the engine more effective at getting power to the road, there were no significant engine improvements, not even the minor ones the Grand Cherokee’s PUG got. We got 2 options very close to the old one.

So you say people shouldn’t champion one over the other, when that is precisely what FCA did with the JL(U) offering fuel economy improvements, but nothing on the power front, just another option right next to the existing one.

That is the problem, sure the Wrangler needs efficiency improvements... and it got many of them despite the reality that even the most dramatic changes would’ve resulted in muted results due to the limitations of pushing a heavy cube down the road. However despite benefiting from powertrain improvements, the Wrangler saw no HP improvements to help overcome resistance on the highway at normal speed limits 75/120, and only barely tweaked the torque enough to claim a paper difference.

The Wrangler will still be capable and adequate, but it would’ve been nice to see as much improvement inside the engine bay as everywhere else that was targeted to gain 0.05 MPG here and there for what amounts to about 2MPG overall. That’s about a 10% improvement, if we had a 10% improvement in power output as well, I think a lot of people would be very happy about that and it would be more reflective of the championing both you speak of, not just picking one over the other.
Most here do because the same people with little man syndrome decrying the Wrangler's "Low power" are saying that if you're concerned about MPG, you shouldn't buy a wrangler. To them I say if you care about "power" and 0-60, you shouldn't buy a wrangler either!

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
5th tank averageing 23.8 50/50 highway city JLUR stock.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
5th tank averageing 23.8 50/50 highway city JLUR stock.
Hey, that's not too shabby! :like:

I guess some break-in was required to get the numbers closer to EPA.

It would also explain why the press reviewers were reporting better numbers, because they were using already broken-in press fleet vehicles.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
This basic transmission has been around for a while. I have the ZF built one in 2 X3’s and they are really great. Everything you could ask for, smooth, quick, trouble free and adapte well to different driving styles and driving conditions. I hope that once you have used it for a while you begin to appreciate the sophistication of this component, it a good one.
Sponsored