Gas mileage so far

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
18.5 on a full tank with my commute in Atlanta traffic. I’m sure that on a long highway trip it will do north of 22. Will find out in April.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Just did a bit over 200 miles today, still on the first tank of gas from the dealer. With the 35" (ok, 34.6") STT Pros and going over a mountain range both ways from Las Cruces to Holloman AFB, I hand calculated the mileage right at 17 mpg. This was keeping the cruise at 65 going over the range and 75 to 80 everywhere else...YMMV, literally...lol

Sponsored

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
How many people weigh fuel milage as a factor when purchasing a Jeep? I have owned a few older 2 door models and my JLUR will be my 3rd 4 door. Fuel milage is not a factor in my purchase but I do make decisions after the purchase that effect MPG. Lift, wheels and tires, heavier bumper and winch etc negatively effect MPG but running premium fuel, a CAI system and aftermarket exhaust increase MPG while improving performance.

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
If you run at 60-65 on a flat highway you could squeeze 24-25 out of the 3.6 M/T. I have accomplished this. Going 65 mph in a 70 mph zone is painful though.

ParkerS12

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jku Sahara 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
I’m averaging 16.5 mpg. I was trying to vary my speed for engine break in while on the interstate, but it is still kinda low. I was expecting this kind of mpg once I’m rolling larger rubber, but that’s ok I’m gonna start measuring my smiles per gallon.

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Anywhere between 55-65. Rain and new engine had me limited to that. Didn’t want to gun it further, not at least until I get some got miles on it.
That's why you got such good mileage. I have found that ~ 56 MPH is the sweet spot for best MPH with the JK, seems to be the same with the JL.

How many people weigh fuel milage as a factor when purchasing a Jeep? I have owned a few older 2 door models and my JLUR will be my 3rd 4 door. Fuel milage is not a factor in my purchase but I do make decisions after the purchase that effect MPG. Lift, wheels and tires, heavier bumper and winch etc negatively effect MPG but running premium fuel, a CAI system and aftermarket exhaust increase MPG while improving performance.
I can flip that right around and ask you how many people want HORSE POWER and 0 - 60 times when buying a jeep? Go buy a sports car instead!

Sponsored

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
That's why you got such good mileage. I have found that ~ 56 MPH is the sweet spot for best MPH with the JK, seems to be the same with the JL.

I can flip that right around and ask you how many people want HORSE POWER and 0 - 60 times when buying a jeep? Go buy a sports car instead!
this guy was one of them lol.. I believe they stuffed a Hellcat motor in this rig. Your speed observation is really close to what my JK was .. anything over 60MPH the MPG dropped significantly

FCBDB8EC-6239-425B-985E-B90DFDDC13B0.jpeg

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
this guy was one of them lol.. I believe they stuffed a Hellcat motor in this rig. Your speed observation is really close to what my JK was .. anything over 60MPH the MPG dropped significantly

FCBDB8EC-6239-425B-985E-B90DFDDC13B0.jpeg

That's my point. I find it ironic how most jeepers mock the idea of anyone wanting decent gas mileage in a jeep, but then turn around and demand "more power" (like Tim Tool Man) and are upset when certain powertrains aren't up to their standards. There was so many comments about the Pentastar not matching the Grand's HP, and that the 4 cylinder's HP wasn't good enough, and all this hypocritical garbage.

My response to them is , go buy a sports car and not a wrangler. Same smart ass response they have about gas mileage.

Of course, they'll complain about how they should be able to have both, and I will second that. I have found that the Wranglers can give good gas mileage is driven responsibly. I get great gas mileage out of my JK Unlimited Rubicon auto. So I do have both, and I hope that the JL can at least do as well, if not better to compensate for the 1 gallon smaller fuel tank.

Obviously, if you put giant tires on it and so forth both power and gas mileage will degrade.

I never understood this "Big man syndrom" obsession with speed anyway. You are driving on public roads with stop signs, lights, traffic, and speed limit posted highways. What do you need so much power for? As long as you are not sluggish and dragging ass, it's all just about feeling macho and dick measuring. All speeding does is waste more gas and make you more susceptible to tickets and accidents.

MOKE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 F-150, 2018 JLU
Occupation
Business Development
16.3 after 681 miles. Stop n' go traffic.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
It sounds like a 2DR M/T has the potential to average 26+mpg taking it easy on a long trip... that is amazing for a jeep.
Sponsored