Sponsored

gas mileage 65 vs 70

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
so I was doing some highway driving yesterday in my rubicon stock wheels on I 95, set cruise to 70 mph and checked the mpg via the computer, it was a bit breezy but I managed a steady 22 mpg over about 10 miles. I decreased my speed to 65 mph and reset the mpgs and the computer displayed 25 to 27 mpg over the next 10 miles. I was really surprised to see the mileage increase from a 5 mph decrease. I need to try this on a longer drive to see if I get the same results. Anyone else getting this mileage from slower highway speeds?
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I did a 650 mile round trip, a couple of weeks ago, with lots of rain and wind. . I set mine at 70 mph, and hand calculated my mpg at 24.5 mpg. The computer said 24.7 mpg. I was pretty loaded down, with the family, and luggage. Then again, i have a JLU Sport S. Auto.

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
so I was doing some highway driving yesterday in my rubicon stock wheels on I 95, set cruise to 70 mph and checked the mpg via the computer, it was a bit breezy but I managed a steady 22 mpg over about 10 miles. I decreased my speed to 65 mph and reset the mpgs and the computer displayed 25 to 27 mpg over the next 10 miles. I was really surprised to see the mileage increase from a 5 mph decrease. I need to try this on a longer drive to see if I get the same results. Anyone else getting this mileage from slower highway speeds?
No surprise there. Drag increases exponentially with speed, and considering the Wrangler has the aerodynamics of a brick on wheels . . .

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I too find +65 mph to really be a point where mpg starts to wane. I theorize it's drag, especially since I've got my own Roof rack installed, whose weight and drag can't be helping things.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/#post-301033

I run stock tires and run with low octane fuel.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
noticed the same, my CC doesn't go over whatever the speed limit is, mostly because I don't like tickets or crashing.
shit sometimes I will go right lane 5mph under, I am in no rush to get to my destinations 1.4 minutes faster

That is one of the reasons I love wranglers, it is the only vehicle I can go 5 under in and not care how fast others are going, I'm just chillin

OP
OP

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
noticed the same, my CC doesn't go over whatever the speed limit is, mostly because I don't like tickets or crashing.
shit sometimes I will go right lane 5mph under, I am in no rush to get to my destinations 1.4 minutes faster

That is one of the reasons I love wranglers, it is the only vehicle I can go 5 under in and not care how fast others are going, I'm just chillin
I agree, you settle in to a nice easy cruise, and you don't have to change lanes, brake, and pass other cars as much as you do when you are driving at a fast pace.

Sponsored

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Try going 80. Most of our interstates are 75 speed limit, down here in AZ and lots of crosswinds. My JLUR gets 17-18 MPG. I don't care though.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Try going 80. Most of our interstates are 75 speed limit, down here in AZ and lots of crosswinds. My JLUR gets 17-18 MPG. I don't care though.
This is the speed I drive and the mileage I get. It is hard to believe that a 10mph difference nets you nearly 33% better gas mileage.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
At 70 MPH I get 20 miles per gallon and 50 smiles per gallon.

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
No surprise there. Drag increases exponentially with speed, and considering the Wrangler has the aerodynamics of a brick on wheels . . .
Yea a lot plays into this. I have the old body xB which has "similar" aerodynamics to Jeeps, but get 27-30 mpg. Much lighter vehicle, and built on a teeny frame
Sponsored