Sponsored

Gas in the 2.0T - Is my understanding correct?

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
My Wrangler is 2018 and that is what is stated in my manual. Interesting that it changed ....
Yeah, I “think” it was with the 20 models. I know for certain that my 20 JL clearly states that the engine was “designed to run on 87 octane”. I checked when I was buying and got the manual out. The dealership filled it with87 and I wanted to be sure they knew what they were doing.
Sponsored

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
I put 91 in my 2020 2.0T. Not necessary, but after spending nearly $60k on a vehicle, a few hundred dollars a year extra to run 91 vs 87 is a no-brainer.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I just rechecked my manual and noted something else, under the 3.6 fuel requirements there is ALSO a statement that light knocking is acceptable! Run whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy. I’ll run what the manufacturer says the engine was designed for. I’ve noted no knocking or signs of detonation. Engines runs very smooth and is very responsive on 87 octane fuel. It has more power than I’ll ever use (not planning on towing anything heavy) and gets great mileage for a Jeep. If you want to donate extra $$ to the oil company that’s your privilege. Me, they make enough when I buy regular😏

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
You can run oil a quart low too, imagine the savings there! And you only need 4 tires, matching spares are a waste of money.
I mean if that's what the manual said, it would probably be ok. But I doubt you will find that in the owner's manual. Whereas, in it you can see that it says the engine was designed to run on 87.

I guess if I had spent 60k on a vehicle and planned to keep it 10 years, maybe I might run 91 to make myself sleep better at night. But, I'm just renting mine and so anything past 3 years isn't my concern ;)

Sponsored

PLDJ1000

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited
Running 87 in my 2.0L...

Best I can recommend is try to get top tier fuel (with detergents) and non-ethanol whenever possible. That will make you feel a little better.

I found that running higher octane made no difference in my Jeep. She runs beautiful and I am happy with the 2.0 Turbo.

If i find it being sluggish in the hot weather or with towing (as described in manual) I will up for Premium.

Don't let these kind of worries ruin the enjoyment of driving a Jeep on planet earth.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Since our new fuel prices have become oppressive, I fill up with 87 octane and drive slower. My quest is now how high my MPG can be instead of how quickly I can get there. Premium fuel is best in my 2.0T, but it runs fine on Regular. I love the 2.0T and am always pleased with making that choice.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I'm running 93 octain in my 2.0T. I want the better performance and cleaner fuel for less carbon build up.

I do wonder what octain they rated the engine power numbers with?. Because it definitely feels under rated. Especially seeing videos of the Jeeps 2.0 spanking the Broncos 2.3 that's rated at 330 ft lbs of torque in a drag race.

I'm light footing it right now to break in the engine because it's brand new and it feels like it just wants to take off. And that's with the Xtreme Recon package and 35 inch tires. I can only imagine feeling the power once it's broken in and I can really step on it.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
FWIW, Ive talked to someone that knows WAY more than me about this subject. Im running 87 with zero concerns or worries about longevity.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm running 93 octain in my 2.0T. I want the better performance and cleaner fuel for less carbon build up.

I do wonder what octain they rated the engine power numbers with?. Because it definitely feels under rated. Especially seeing videos of the Jeeps 2.0 spanking the Broncos 2.3 that's rated at 330 ft lbs of torque in a drag race.

I'm light footing it right now to break in the engine because it's brand new and it feels like it just wants to take off. And that's with the Xtreme Recon package and 35 inch tires. I can only imagine feeling the power once it's broken in and I can really step on it.
Even with 38’s the 2.0t is a rocket even compared to the WJ with the 4.7L V8 in the driveway.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Even with 38’s the 2.0t is a rocket even compared to the WJ with the 4.7L V8 in the driveway.
Yeah for sure. These new turbo engines are definitely the Future. No reason to even need a V8 besides sound maybe.
Sponsored