Sponsored

Gas in the 2.0T - Is my understanding correct?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I don't notice any knocking with 87. Sounds identical to when I run 91. FWIW, Porsche says the same thing and recommends like 92 or 93 or something. We can't even get that out here very easily. I'll run the required octane. If that ends up being an issue, I don't care. The only time octane concerns me is if I'm beating on it, summer, altitude (i.e., more strain through passes).
Sponsored

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
I run 93 in mine. Like others have said if you drive normal I'm sure 87 is fine. I run 93 for two main reasons. First I got this engine for the fun driving experience and enjoy getting the best performance out of it. Second is that with these direct injection engines I have read that they can get bad carbon build up and the 93 with more cleaner additives will prob help that long term. Let me also note that I have a very short commute and drive maybe 2500-5000 miles max a year so its not that big of a hit cost wise.

OP
OP
tts42572

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
So, took it upon myself to do some additional research today and called a large JEEP dealership and talked to their service manager who seemed very knowledgeable. I asked him his opinion on using 87 octane in the 2.0T engines.

His response was that 87 is fine in the vehicle and the vehicle will work great for most people and many may not even notice any difference in their day to day driving. He said that these engines have been tuned to work and maintain good performance with 87 octane and they have features that will compensate for that type of gas being used.

However, he said 91 or higher octane is definitely optimal for Turbo engines with the way they work for peak performance. He said he has a 2.0T himself and will only put 93 octane in it. Also feels that it will be better for the engine over a long period of time. He said if you're only planning to keep the vehicle for 4-5 years and 50-60K miles or something, feed it 87 and let somebody else worry about any issues that might happen later. But if you're planning to keep it for longer, he'd recommend feeding it premium.

Overall, said it's a great engine and he felt it's probably the wave of the future for this vehicle outside of those that go with hybrid or diesel.

Didn't really say anything that was different than what others have been saying in threads here but it was nice to hear it from somebody that works closely with these vehicles.

So think I've gotten enough information. I've been wanting this vehicle a long time and planning to take care of it in hopes I can maybe pass it to my son 6 or 7 years down the road (he's 11 now). I'm sure 87 would probably be fine but I'll be running premium at least to start with and we'll see how it goes.

Lil Red

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Below came from TrueCar.

With certain vehicles like the Ford F-150 and Mazda MX-5 Miata, automakers recommend premium gas but donā€™t require it. Research by AAA found that these vehicles saw a slight increase in performance and fuel economy using premium gas. For those who drive a luxury or performance vehicle, premium gas can help emphasize your vehicleā€™s intended characteristics.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
keep in mind, higher octane is to deal with higher compression, and itā€™s not just limited to turbo engines.
There are lots of us 3.6 owners that are running premium fuel to deal with the excessive engine knock that our high compression (11:1 is quite up there) engines seem prone to, especially when hot.
I have had my engine knock so bad that it almost stalled when starting up a steep paved road in 1st gear after climbing 8000 feet in a half hour.

Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I run what the manufacturer states is required. I use straight 87 octane, and Iā€™ve yet to hear any knock or ping. IF I was going to be in 100+ temps continually OR if I was towing near maximum loads I might reconsider depending on IF I heard anything unusual. Barring that Iā€™ll stick with what works well, 87. Bottom line is that 87 has more btu/gallon than ā€œpremiumā€. Premium has additives to prevent pre-ignition. If there is no pre-ignition, why pay extra for what your engine doesnā€™t need?
Please stop repeating this. It is wrong!

89TransAmWS6

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0T, 2020 GC 3.6, 1993 Pontiac Trans Am
Occupation
Fleet Manager
I run 93 in mine. Like others have said if you drive normal I'm sure 87 is fine. I run 93 for two main reasons. First I got this engine for the fun driving experience and enjoy getting the best performance out of it. Second is that with these direct injection engines I have read that they can get bad carbon build up and the 93 with more cleaner additives will prob help that long term. Let me also note that I have a very short commute and drive maybe 2500-5000 miles max a year so its not that big of a hit cost wise.

GDI engines do have problems with carbon buildup..but by design the same reason they have a carbon problem is the same reason higher octane fuel or even traditional "cleaner" additives wont help. Remember you are injecting the fuel directly into the engine which has a ton of great benefits but you lose the advantage of having the gasoline "wash" the intake valve like you would in a traditional fuel injected (or even carb'd) engine. Not saying there is no benefit in terms of cleaning...just not for the "major" problem.

With that being said I do typically run premium in mine as well. Several times I have run 87 including the initial fill-up from the dealer and have not seen any real difference. I have had my '20 for just over a year and just turned 5k miles so I really cant comment on fuel economy vs cost. Hell, to be fair I am probably the guy that should be running 87 but as said above...since I dont have a far commute the cost isnt really a big deal.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
As a past trained/former high end engine builder, occasional light knock is ok. It is one sign that peak combustion chamber efficiency is being taken advantage of IE- more complete burn and heat generation. Ideally, in racing and the street, you ride that line of rich/lean in a fuel mixture and ignition advance. In a known combination, utilizing computer control technology, itā€™s much easier and safer to ride that line in OEM applications.

Heavy, constant knock is hell on your ring lands, plugs and can make for a bad day when itā€™s out of control.

Iā€™m sure that the factory has likely tested many scenarios with their tuning so 87 is ok but premium will let the limits in tuning maximize cylinder pressure/efficiency. In an NA, non turbo etc especially, higher elevation towns have gas stations that sell lower octane many times because the same engines max cylinder pressure/power production will be lower, thus generally needing less octane to prevent knock. Iā€™d experiment there, especially on long steep inclines to see what fuel does the job best for you.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Also consider getting a gas card with one of the big chains. It can often make 91 or 93 significantly cheaper as they discount it more as the regular is usually the price advertised so have to be competitive with the local low price.

Around here WaWa gets me 93 octane for $0.12 more then regular - so no reason not to do it for $2 a fill.

Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I run ethanol free 91 in all my vehicles here on Maui. I provides a slight increase in mpg and seems to run very well. It's usually very warm here, I don't know what effect that has but ethanol free works well. It also has a better shelf life, I store some for generator and small engine use.
I run and recommend ethanol free as well (I have the 3.6) and achieve about 22 mpg (6M) with the 32" MT's.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Also consider getting a gas card with one of the big chains. It can often make 91 or 93 significantly cheaper as they discount it more as the regular is usually the price advertised so have to be competitive with the local low price.

Around here WaWa gets me 93 octane for $0.12 more then regular - so no reason not to do it for $2 a fill.
Wawa! Someone in North Carolina once asked me, " When you say Wawa, are you taking about Walmart?" (as if...) I have never seen such rage on my wife's face....

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Yes, you lose power with 87, more so at higher temps. Up to 30 hp /10 trq, 2mpg loss is expected during summer.
Engine retards timing due to knock. No octane sensors.
Wasn't 2.0 option cost $2k higher?

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I have 15K on mine and run 87 most of the time, If I know I am going to be towing over any distance I will burn my tank down and then fill it up with a higher octane. To date I have never had knock or any other issues with 87.

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Yes, you lose power with 87, more so at higher temps. Up to 30 hp /10 trq, 2mpg loss is expected during summer.
Engine retards timing due to knock. No octane sensors.
Wasn't 2.0 option cost $2k higher?
In the 18's and 19's it was an upgraded additional cost since it came with the eTorque. In the 20+ its actually a discount since they have since removed the eTorque and replaced it with the normal ESS.
Sponsored

Last edited: