First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
Knocks and pings...not gonna test it to find out.

Why do you think required doesn't mean 'required'?

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
If that were true, then premium wouldn't be required.
My supercharged Z06 “requires” 93 octane or higher. Do you know what happens if I’m somewhere that doesn’t have 93 or higher & I have to put in, *gasp* 89 or even 87? Nothing. Will I drive around doing WOT pulls, no, but my engine won’t suddenly explode because I had to use a lower octane fuel for a tank.

Same thing with the 392. So should you constantly fill up with 89 or 87, no, but if a friend of the OP mistakenly topped it off with 87, nothing negative would happen.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
The 392 requires premium gasoline. The gas cap looks like every other JL cap and makes no mention of octane. At least mine doesn't. I'm afraid if I let someone else drive it they'll refill it with regular to "do me a favor" since you can watch the gas gauge drop while you drive it.

Are any aftermarket caps available that mention 91 octane? Or am I going to have to do something really ugly with my label maker?
Easy fix- just pickup a small stencil kit and mark it, Label maker will eventually come off due to heat or extreme cold. Keep the Jeep wave going.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Knocks and pings...not gonna test it to find out.

Why do you think required doesn't mean 'required'?
Not trying to argue or cause any problem. With that said, that hasn’t happened to me yet but I only have 3500 miles on my 392. Where I live 85 is normal and some places don’t have 90 or 91 octane. Not that there are a lot of gas stations here anyway.

“Required” is stated a few times In the manual. In fact there is a requirement for a brake fluid spec in the owners manual that doesn’t exist. The door plate says to inflate tires to 37 psi, I run 30. I do follow what are “safety” requirements, at least in my opinion.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not trying to argue or cause any problem. With that said, that hasn’t happened to me yet but I only have 3500 miles on my 392. Where I live 85 is normal and some places don’t have 90 or 91 octane. Not that there are a lot of gas stations here anyway.

“Required” is stated a few times In the manual. In fact there is a requirement for a brake fluid spec in the owners manual that doesn’t exist. The door plate says to inflate tires to 37 psi, I run 30. I do follow what are “safety” requirements, at least in my opinion.
Yeah, I liked Colorado but the fuel choices are bogus.
Brake fluid and tire pressure have nothing to do with fuel requirements.
Accurate manual or not, why buy a 392 and skimp on the fuel?
Additionally, knowing dealers' penchant for blaming the customer, I'll avoid that excuse.

Sponsored

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Yeah, I liked Colorado but the fuel choices are bogus.
Brake fluid and tire pressure have nothing to do with fuel requirements.
Accurate manual or not, why buy a 392 and skimp on the fuel?
Additionally, knowing dealers' penchant for blaming the customer, I'll avoid that excuse.
I don’t skimp on fuel…. I could purchase 110 octane avgas since there is a small airport. But on 87, my local ”premium“ it runs great. So technically I am running premium…. But it is 87 octane.

I mentioned brake fluid and tire pressure because they are also “required” by the wording in the owners manual…. It all comes down to what rules you want to follow. Like load ratings and speed ratings on tires. Choose what you want to do based on either what is recommended or what your experience tells you. I was just saying that in this thread, a little bit of 87 isn’t going to destroy the engine.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I don’t skimp on fuel…. I could purchase 110 octane avgas since there is a small airport. But on 87, my local ”premium“ it runs great. So technically I am running premium…. But it is 87 octane.
If 87 octane is your premium, what's your regular? That's the lowest regular unleaded grade offered here, with 91 or 93 being the most common premium grade available (and usually another grade or two in the middle).

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
If 87 octane is your premium, what's your regular? That's the lowest regular unleaded grade offered here, with 91 or 93 being the most common premium grade available (and usually another grade or two in the middle).
85 is regular at the pumps here.

reason for that is altitude, less air, no knocking or pre-detonation. Cold temps help also…

Reactions: AFD

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In Colorado, et al., 85 is Regular, 87 is Mid, and 91 is Premium--no, you're not running Premium.

The problem with the thinner air argument is that it doesn't affect all engines the same--namely, forced induction.
Sponsored