Gas Cap Cover

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I have been looking at Wranglers for over a year. I ordered one yesterday and notice for the first time they don't come with gas cap covers.

I think this will be my first upgrade. Any recommendations on a cover that looks good, easy to install and is under $100?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have been looking at Wranglers for over a year. I ordered one yesterday and notice for the first time they don't come with gas cap covers.

I think this will be my first upgrade. Any recommendations on a cover that looks good, easy to install and is under $100?
@Cappy

Some JL's DO come with fuel doors Depends on what you ordered, JL/JLU wise.

If you do buy one, buy Mopar.. No fit issues, etc... Many aftermarket offerings are poor..

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
@Cappy

Some JL's DO come with fuel doors Depends on what you ordered, JL/JLU wise.

If you do buy one, buy Mopar.. No fit issues, etc... Many aftermarket offerings are poor..
Yes I saw that, however the option was not available for the Willys (at least on the website) and I was thinking why would I need a fancy gas cover, stock would be fine. Then I realized they don't have gas covers at birth.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
I bought the Mopar cover. It fits great and is easy enough to install. It looks better for sure and gives me a sense of security, although it won't keep anyone out. Felt expensive for a peice of stamped metal but it is well worth it.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

I approached this with what might be different needs than you John.

I wanted access to the gas line to be locked, and for me, the cover was more about preventing any ice buildup on the lock that was integrated the gas cap.

I went with the MOPAR cover https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/fuel-filler-door-black-jeep-wrangler-jl

and matching key gas cap. MOPAR has two locking gas caps for the JL, one with its own key and the more expensive one that matches the factory key.

LSS the matching key one wouldn't make a good seal and set off the vehicle's emissions control system.

In hindsight I might have just kept the factory non-locking gas cap and purchased a 3rd party locking gas cap cover...

https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_body_frame/appearance/gas_hatch_covers?kw=gas cap cover

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I went with a cheapo i found on Amazon...spent about $40. Do not know/recall the brand, but it sucks. Put it on a year ago and it is already oxidizing. Also, the lid and hinge never really fit perfect. Not saying you need to buy Mopar, but don’t go bargain basement. I will be replacing mine soon.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Nice. I see it takes 8 bolts, I assume popping off the black plastic of the non-cover stock will reveal the 8 hole for the bolts.
John, those bolts may be for "show, not for blow." They may be faux, fake, cosmetic.

K9-01

First Name
Chantelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I have the Smittybilt cover and am happy with it so far. The only annoying part is when you close the rear driver door, it opens ever so slightly and then closes quickly because of the magnets. It makes a clank noise, but other than that it looks sharp. I've only had it on for a couple months, so I can't say how well it holds up in the weather.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I went Mopar 3 years ago and it still looks brand new and not loose and fit and finish are on the high end, back in early 2018 there were not a lot of options.

I don’t have a locking inside cap but then I don’t have a locking hood either and don’t plan on adding anything that locks whether it’s keyed the same as the ignition or not and it’s not that I have some euphoric notion that nothing bad will happen it’s just that I keep my JL garage parked and park in a gated lot where I work and shop in areas that don’t have ppl stealing gas or dumping crap in my tank or popping the hood to steel whatever they think they could get from under the hood, if it’s battery they are after they will not have an easy time as it’s not the stock setup.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Any recommendations on a cover that looks good, easy to install and is under $100?
Having purchased a raft of pricey accessories prior to and just after taking delivery of my then-new JLU, I had a bit of price fatigue when I decided to add a fuel door.

Breaking my Buy Quality rule for a moment, I took a chance with this aftermarket aluminum product, and have been well pleased with the quality and fit.

Last edited:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer

The Rubicon does come with a fuel filler door. The pocket/fuel filler door for the gasoline and diesel are not the same. Just FYI.
Sponsored