Sponsored

Garages: Pictures and Help—

Nickb1907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4XE
I built a 30x40 metal building with 15ft patio (30x55 total). Here are my details.
Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— 1659975631696

Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— 1659975647052

Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— 1659975791385

Electrical:
I went with 4 110v/20amp plugs every 10 feet and 1 220v/50amp plug every 20ft. A little overkill but I am running 200amp panel to the shop while my house only gets 150amp. I never wanted to wish i had more so I went all out.

Lighting:
I went with 8ft LED sticks and it lights up everything. Amazon had these for like $125 for a 6 pack.
Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— 1659975063295

Doors/Windows:
12x12 on far side, x2 10x10 facing the backyard, 4x4 window that opens close to the house. This allows a good breeze through the shop. I have 4 2x8 windows along the solid wall (no doors). This helps bring in daylight.

Bathroom:
Pre-plumbed, I just need to get moving on building it out.

Minikitchen:
I remodeled our kitchen so the fridge and sink cabinets moved over to the shop. Another project on my list to get fully installed.

Regrets:
-Sprayfoam to really seal it up. It was an extra $4k I ddint want to spend but it would have kept the bugs/spiders/occasional birds from making their way in.
-AC. Its hot in Texas. The breeze helps but I think $2k for 2 minisplits and $4k in sprayfoam would have really made this thing nice.
Sponsored

PA JLUR

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
32wide by 30deep Pole Barn

What I consider best practices:
- Scissor truss which enabled space for lift (required 12’6” for posts)

- Simple daisy chained LED lights from Costco…. On outlets with switch…. Go crazy with lightning for $20/fixture

-Rear garage door, allows me to store my yard equipment and pull out mower without having to move cars. Also great for cross ventilation on hot days.

-2 post lift will change your life. I don’t miss my creeper and rolling chair at all

-Other notable add ons :propane heater, beer fridge, flat screen TV, retractable power cords and air cords, lots of outlets, side drive garage door opener, high rise garage door track

Regrets:
- drain in floor
- water supply

Although both add complexity/cost …. Frozen lines etc.

Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— FF76E5A6-2598-455B-A910-7FFFC9A41965

Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— 63E09944-1A8F-4007-8BEC-01151B08AD4E

3EFECD41-908E-4343-8779-E06EA6EB6174.jpeg

07EFE612-3743-49AB-AD70-7AE17AE2DC6B.jpeg

839CF2B7-34E4-453B-B015-5D99FB2806A0.jpeg

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
  • Deep Sink with real wall mounted soap dispensers – not just GoJo.
  • Shop fridge
  • Half Bath - at least a urinal. Buy the black ones. (If neither, mount the deep sink low enough that you can use it in a pinch!) Live in the sticks & don’t need one? A funnel in the corner w/ a hose running outside keeps you peeing where it’s warm.
  • At least 2 ea. 50A outlets - 1 for welder, 1 for Air Compressor. (That said, I now skip the 5HP / 240V compressors and instead have a small pancake one for tires, and a fleet of Milwaukee tools including impact wrenches - way easier than plumbing & hoses. Have outlets in the shelves/etc for all the chargers if that’s your jam. If you do the big compressor, a small shed outside is great for noise control.
  • I no longer have a lift either – but even installing a small skidplate would have been way easier with it. I’m 60 now & the concrete floor and I are no longer friends.
  • Way more outlets than you think you need, above workbench height. Low outlets only good for subwoofers (see below). A couple in the overhead with retracts on them.
  • Make sure your main panel is at least 1/3 empty when you're done.
  • Lots of LED ceiling lights (~5000K)
  • LED strip lighting under the cabinets that you’ll put above your workbench. (I use gladiator cabinets for that)
  • Rollup commercial doors (rolls into a circle at the header, not overhead). +1 on the Jackshaft openers. Nothing overhead is da bomb.
  • Texas? Central heat & AC. If not that, then hose bibb w/ outlet for massive swamp cooler. FYI, my minisplit failed to keep my 3 car garage temperate in TX summers when I lived in Round Rock. Central all the way.
  • LOTS of insulation. Weatherstrip the doors, look for any light leak.
  • Do a lot of fab? Drill foundation & sink a 12" dia x 5/8" wall pipe in the ground. Surround & fill with concrete. Weld 1" solid steel top to it with each corner a different profile (45, 90, round, etc)
  • More windows than you think you need. (I love natural light)
  • Several industrial ceiling fans (think Big Ass fans, not Home Depot)
  • I love the gray metal Tennsco storage cabinets with the optional wheel kit. (Grainger, Global Insustrial, etc)
  • Run 1 Cat5e in from the router house & mount a Power Over Ethernet Wireless Access point to the ceiling, at a minumum.
  • Decide on your desires for music (and/or TV for the game) and be sure you have wiring to support it. I'm a Sonos fan & have 4 Sonos speakers & a Sub in my shop. Having the right outlets in the right places helps the speaker placement a lot. I would skip the in-ceiling speakers – you need an amp or something to run them, and then a place to put it. Too much of a PITA. Just use your phone to control the Sonos & you’re done. Mount them up high if you prefer (just have outlets nearby). I’ve done both, including 5.1 in my shop in Georgetown, TX with the big TV. Sticking with Sonos now.
  • Have a ‘dirty area’ of the shop where the saws & grinders are. Across the shop, have a shop workstation with a computer, monitor & printer are great for studying online manuals, videos, etc on how to get something installed.
  • I agree with you on slippery epoxy. It’s for that reason alone that I will always have the textured coatings. Professionally prepared & installed textured epoxy has worked well for me, but the newer coatings are nice as well.
  • Agree with wibornz suggestion on Plywood vs sheetrock. Even just chipboard is better – mounting things way easier. I’d go higher than 4’ though.

OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
If you have an old tv that you want to use, just buy an Amazon Firestick, then you can watch Youtube or just about anything on it. If you so desire, you can Jailbreak the fire stick in about 15 minutes and watch any tv show or movie ever made.

The fire stick will also work with a new smart TV. Both will need access to wifi. You can most likely hotspot your phone to run them either way also. You don't really to stream the content from our iPad or phone with a smart tv or a tv with a fire stick. You just need access to a connection.
Running a Cat 5 or 6 line in along with the subpanel line will be easy. I'll have a router in the garage for all the digital toys.

Good suggestions!

Sponsored

OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I built a mancave shop as well, attached to my 40 year old house. It's 35' wide x 48' long. The ceiling is 15' high to accommodate a future 2 post lift. I looked up the lift requirements regarding the concrete so I have 4" thick 3000psi concrete poured (Its just incremental to make it a bit thicker). Prior to the concrete, I also roughed in a bathroom (you'll thank me later for that!). I built a 200 sq ft loft over the bathroom with some of the TJI joists that I used also for the roof. Very, very strong. I put in some skylights so that I don't have to use my lights during the day and Window World sells them for $79, I put in 6 of them. Add an exhaust fan w/self closing shutters up high as it will really help ventilation. Mine is 24" x24", 5000 CFM. Choose the size to fully ventilate the volume (LxWxH) in 5-7 min. Finally, get the floor professionally coated. That's was expensive but so worth it. Here's some pix.

IMG_0299.jpeg

IMG_1365.jpeg

IMG_1187.jpeg

IMG_1006.jpeg

IMG_1186.jpeg
Beautiful. Thank you for shaing, what a great space–

Last edited:
OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
  • Shop fridge
  • Half Bath - at least a urinal. Buy the black ones. (If neither, mount the deep sink low enough that you can use it in a pinch!) Live in the sticks & don’t need one? A funnel in the corner w/ a hose running outside keeps you peeing where it’s warm.
  • At least 2 ea. 50A outlets - 1 for welder, 1 for Air Compressor. (That said, I now skip the 5HP / 240V compressors and instead have a small pancake one for tires, and a fleet of Milwaukee tools including impact wrenches - way easier than plumbing & hoses. Have outlets in the shelves/etc for all the chargers if that’s your jam. If you do the big compressor, a small shed outside is great for noise control.
  • I no longer have a lift either – but even installing a small skidplate would have been way easier with it. I’m 60 now & the concrete floor and I are no longer friends.
  • Way more outlets than you think you need, above workbench height. Low outlets only good for subwoofers (see below). A couple in the overhead with retracts on them.
  • LED strip lighting under the cabinets that you’ll put above your workbench. (I use gladiator cabinets for that)
  • Rollup commercial doors (rolls into a circle at the header, not overhead). +1 on the Jackshaft openers. Nothing overhead is da bomb.
  • Texas? Central heat & AC. If not that, then hose bibb w/ outlet for massive swamp cooler. FYI, my minisplit failed to keep my 3 car garage temperate in TX summers when I lived in Round Rock. Central all the way.
  • Do a lot of fab? Drill foundation & sink a 12" dia x 5/8" wall pipe in the ground. Surround & fill with concrete. Weld 1" solid steel top to it with each corner a different profile (45, 90, round, etc)
  • I love the gray metal Tennsco storage cabinets with the optional wheel kit. (Grainger, Global Insustrial, etc)
  • Run 1 Cat5e in from the router house & mount a Power Over Ethernet Wireless Access point to the ceiling, at a minumum.
  • Decide on your desires for music (and/or TV for the game) and be sure you have wiring to support it. I'm a Sonos fan & have 4 Sonos speakers & a Sub in my shop. Having the right outlets in the right places helps the speaker placement a lot. I would skip the in-ceiling speakers – you need an amp or something to run them, and then a place to put it. Too much of a PITA. Just use your phone to control the Sonos & you’re done. Mount them up high if you prefer (just have outlets nearby). I’ve done both, including 5.1 in my shop in Georgetown, TX with the big TV. Sticking with Sonos now.
  • Have a ‘dirty area’ of the shop where the saws & grinders are. Across the shop, have a shop workstation with a computer, monitor & printer are great for studying online manuals, videos, etc on how to get something installed.
  • I agree with you on slippery epoxy. It’s for that reason alone that I will always have the textured coatings. Professionally prepared & installed textured epoxy has worked well for me, but the newer coatings are nice as well.
  • Agree with wibornz suggestion on Plywood vs sheetrock. Even just chipboard is better – mounting things way easier. I’d go higher than 4’ though.
El Jefe...

Thank you, great list and thoughts. What a great forum this is–

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
El Jefe...

Thank you, great list and thoughts. What a great forum this is–
More than welcome. I keep thinking of things I failed to mention:
Assuming you have hot water in there, having a hot & cold feeding a hose bibb makes for easier car washing.

OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
32wide by 30deep Pole Barn

What I consider best practices:
- Scissor truss which enabled space for lift (required 12’6” for posts)

- Simple daisy chained LED lights from Costco…. On outlets with switch…. Go crazy with lightning for $20/fixture

-Rear garage door, allows me to store my yard equipment and pull out mower without having to move cars. Also great for cross ventilation on hot days.

-2 post lift will change your life. I don’t miss my creeper and rolling chair at all

-Other notable add ons :propane heater, beer fridge, flat screen TV, retractable power cords and air cords, lots of outlets, side drive garage door opener, high rise garage door track

Regrets:
- drain in floor
- water supply

Although both add complexity/cost …. Frozen lines etc.

Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— 839CF2B7-34E4-453B-B015-5D99FB2806A0

Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— 839CF2B7-34E4-453B-B015-5D99FB2806A0

Now this is a carriage house. Gorgeous–

OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I built a 30x40 metal building with 15ft patio (30x55 total). Here are my details.

Electrical:
I went with 4 110v/20amp plugs every 10 feet and 1 220v/50amp plug every 20ft. A little overkill but I am running 200amp panel to the shop while my house only gets 150amp. I never wanted to wish i had more so I went all out.

Lighting:
I went with 8ft LED sticks and it lights up everything. Amazon had these for like $125 for a 6 pack.

Doors/Windows:
12x12 on far side, x2 10x10 facing the backyard, 4x4 window that opens close to the house. This allows a good breeze through the shop. I have 4 2x8 windows along the solid wall (no doors). This helps bring in daylight.

Bathroom:
Pre-plumbed, I just need to get moving on building it out.

Minikitchen:
I remodeled our kitchen so the fridge and sink cabinets moved over to the shop. Another project on my list to get fully installed.

Regrets:
-Sprayfoam to really seal it up. It was an extra $4k I ddint want to spend but it would have kept the bugs/spiders/occasional birds from making their way in.
-AC. Its hot in Texas. The breeze helps but I think $2k for 2 minisplits and $4k in sprayfoam would have really made this thing nice.
Nice and functional, very cool–

Sponsored

Signing Spock

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Mons, Belgium (originally, Sn Antonio, TX)
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sport; 22 JLU Willys Sport
Occupation
USAF
I built a mancave shop as well, attached to my 40 year old house. It's 35' wide x 48' long. The ceiling is 15' high to accommodate a future 2 post lift. I looked up the lift requirements regarding the concrete so I have 4" thick 3000psi concrete poured (Its just incremental to make it a bit thicker). Prior to the concrete, I also roughed in a bathroom (you'll thank me later for that!). I built a 200 sq ft loft over the bathroom with some of the TJI joists that I used also for the roof. Very, very strong. I put in some skylights so that I don't have to use my lights during the day and Window World sells them for $79, I put in 6 of them. Add an exhaust fan w/self closing shutters up high as it will really help ventilation. Mine is 24" x24", 5000 CFM. Choose the size to fully ventilate the volume (LxWxH) in 5-7 min. Finally, get the floor professionally coated. That's was expensive but so worth it. Here's some pix.

[/QUOTE]
Holy crap dude, gorgeous garage

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
Holy crap dude, gorgeous garage
[/QUOTE]
Even though the floor looks slick, it is not. In fact, the epoxy floor guy can sprinkle a fine grain silica in the clear coat to make it grippy (I did that in the bathroom as I have a 4'x4' tiles shower there.

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More than welcome. I keep thinking of things I failed to mention:
Assuming you have hot water in there, having a hot & cold feeding a hose bibb makes for easier car washing.
I only ran a cold water line to the garage then added a tankless water heater right where I needed it (outside the shower and under the 3'x4" Stainless sink). Instant hot water and no worries of a flood should the tank fail.

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Shop fridge
Jefe, great list! I actually checked off most of this list and you're spot on. Currently (pun intended!) I'm using my 50A outlet to power my Level 2 charger for my 4XE. Complete charge from dead in 2 hours. Like having a gas pump in my garage! I also added two 240V/30A outlets for the lift (was originally thinking 4 post, but may go 2 post now). And I have a couple breaker box slots allocated for two 2 ton AC/heat split units I can roof mount.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I have a 30x40 steel building separate from the house. Not insulated for where I live. The floor is fiber cement with no expansion joints, so the floor is flat and level. I have 2 10x10 roll up doors using jack shaft openers, so there is no overhead obstruction. The walls are 14' and the peak is 17'.

I strongly considered a lift, but haven't done so as it hinders my ability to use the floor space. There have been times when I would have liked to have one, but I don't miss what I don't have. Sometimes I want to have a vehicle in there sideways. When I begin to tear into my '66 C10, it's going to have to go in sideways so that there will be room to park my Jeep and F150 inside, and still have space to work.

I originally wanted to build a loft inside out of lumber, but that's on hold due to the cost of things right now.

What would I do different?

An exhaust fan at the peak. 6 windows just don't allow enough heat to escape, although the high peak helps.

A hose bib/spigot near the shop vs having to drag a hose over from the house.

A utility sink out there, but there is still one inside the garage on the house to clean up with.

At least 2 cinder blocks high on the side walls, with drainage, before the steel walls start so that It would be easier to hose out and keep clean.

And the big one, I had no choice but to face the garage doors west, I really want to build an overhang that is being enough to keep the western sun from shining in the doors until it sets below the house/treeline for the day.

Oh, yeah. After it was done and I started to move tool boxes, shelves and other assorted things in, I wished that I'd gone 40x60 instead of 30x40. I imagine I would have thought the same If I had 40x60, I'd want 40x80.

Having the space not connected to my house means that there is no noise inside when I'm out there working and that none of that space becomes de facto storage for stuff from the house.
Sponsored

Last edited: