Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
It’s hard to beat 1x4 LED high bay lights for output. Time and time again I try to oversell them, and time and time again customers are blown away at the amount of light they put off. You might still like some lights at the work bench to reduce shadows introduced by your head but for general lighting these are the ticket

A3931570-D5AF-4FA7-9BC2-FAA4470B1743.jpeg
Cool white 5,000k or bright 7,000?
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Cool white 5,000k or bright 7,000?
You can pick your color, usually 4,000k or 5,000k. 5,000k is just about right for shop lighting IMO

7,000k would be crazy blue, avoid that for sure

Andy@AAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 4XE, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
UxS Engineer
Deep sink.
Floor drain
Sealed floor (I did epoxy)
More electric outlets then you think you need
Overhead outlet with a retractable cord
Big tv for sports and those how-to videos

OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Deep sink.
Floor drain
Sealed floor (I did epoxy)
More electric outlets then you think you need
Overhead outlet with a retractable cord
Big tv for sports and those how-to videos
There are never enough outlets!

A lot of folks suggest TV, though that is not much of a draw for me. I watch the Tour de France every year and love watching Track and Field though rarely do. Never got into watching the typical sports, though I love listening to KALL 700 call a good Utah football game. Utah by 5.

We have been thinking about an outdoor shower on the back, though a sink wasn't on the list. We have water in the existing garage related to the well house. Adding an inside sink and the outside shower would be great.

This is a good idea. Thank you—

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
55" smart TV. Perfect for watching how to videos or reading instruction PDF's from across the room. You can even screen mirror your phone to it to scroll, search, etc. from your handheld device.

A lift is more handy than you can imagine for many things.

BTW, did you have that roof structure engineered? It looks like you need more collar ties and they likely should be lower down the rafters. I know you don't have snow loads to contend with in Texas, but don't want to see your walls bowing after a year or two.

Last edited:

Sponsored

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
I have been in my dream garage for almost two years now. This is my retirement. A/C was a must for me. My big regret is not putting in a bathroom. I would never get the sprinkles for the floor again either. Hides every little screw or nut. Good lighting and lots of electrical expansion capability.
Pic taken today.

Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— IMG_4779.JPG

Last edited:

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
My big regret is not putting in a bathroom. I would never get the sprinkles for the floor again.
Read that and thought you were talking about an entirely different kind of "sprinkles" at first... :)

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
We have a nice framing compressor which: 1— would need a larger tank to drive impact tools; 2— when I wrench I enjoy my ratchets and hand tools. I was planning a floor jack, though you all have me thinking about a lift. I still am wondering why I'd need a lift. I have a dealer who does all my small maintenance, including five tire rotations, thank you Crenwelge Jeep in Kerrvile, after years of complaining to the owner they are now a wonderful exception to the norm for dealers.

I do all our mods and they are the easy ones, which I derive great pleasure from doing myself: add an air compressor, GMRS radio, molle platforms, etcetera. For our style of off-road use the JLURXR's stock 35's and the small lift are sufficient. While we will be adding additional protection underneath and a lift would be nice I am leaning away from a lift still.

The Harken lift for our top looks to be the best I have seen so far, https://www.harken.com/en/shop/jeeptruck-tops/jeep-hard-top-hoister-storage-system-45-145-lb-load12/

Does anyone have a suggestion for lifting the four doors, too?

Thank you for suggestions—
Check out the prices of a lift, a decent lift is not all that expensive. If I had the room I would definately go with it.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Shop air compressors are a must but are also loud. I have seen garages/workshops with air compressor "room/closet" to minimize the noise. I have plans to do this with my air compressor. Some people build it onto the back of their shop like a lean to.

If you have plans for welding then now is the time to make a decision on what locations would be better for some 220V outlets. You'll want a 220V welder if you do any thicker than 1/8" metal welding. If you don't have a welder, you should still consider that you may in the future. There are 220V air compressors so having a 220V outlet available is always good.

I have plenty of open overhead area in my shop bay and plan on building a loft up there soon. A loft will free up floor space and give you somewhere for overhead lights to attach. Not sure what your plans are for the overhead in your shop, but it's really hard to heat all of that in the winter for sure.

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only need for a large compressor today is if you paint cars, mount tires or have a plasma cutter. Battery tools do most everything better than air tools without the noise of compressor or the hassle of a hose.

2 post lifts work fine on 4" of concrete, no need for a special foundation. Proper electrical panel is at least 60 amps, 100 is even better, even if you never use it all.

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

We have a nice framing compressor which: 1— would need a larger tank to drive impact tools; 2— when I wrench I enjoy my ratchets and hand tools. I was planning a floor jack, though you all have me thinking about a lift. I still am wondering why I'd need a lift. I have a dealer who does all my small maintenance, including five tire rotations, thank you Crenwelge Jeep in Kerrvile, after years of complaining to the owner they are now a wonderful exception to the norm for dealers.

I do all our mods and they are the easy ones, which I derive great pleasure from doing myself: add an air compressor, GMRS radio, molle platforms, etcetera. For our style of off-road use the JLURXR's stock 35's and the small lift are sufficient. While we will be adding additional protection underneath and a lift would be nice I am leaning away from a lift still.

The Harken lift for our top looks to be the best I have seen so far, https://www.harken.com/en/shop/jeeptruck-tops/jeep-hard-top-hoister-storage-system-45-145-lb-load12/

Does anyone have a suggestion for lifting the four doors, too?

Thank you for suggestions—
I installed the Harken lift and I love it. My garage is quite a bit smaller than yours so I want to get the top as high as possible.
Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— 35E68FC7-3EAB-479B-9AD2-AE099C54BACA
Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— C8A08F49-8D51-422B-9F51-194140F836D2

OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
55" smart TV. Perfect for watching how to videos or reading instruction PDF's from across the room. You can even screen mirror your phone to it to scroll, search, etc. from your handheld device.

A lift is more handy than you can imagine for many things.

BTW, did you have that roof structure engineered? It looks like you need more collar ties and they likely should be lower down the rafters. I know you don't have snow loads to contend with in Texas, but don't want to see your walls bowing after a year or two.
1— What would I need in addition to the TV and internet connection to stream videos and such from iPad? Or would I just connect an old laptop instead of recycling it?

2— A lift would be more handy than a floor jack or two?

3— Not engineered, though lower (in the upper 40% rather than upper 33%) and beefer (2x6 rather than 1x4) than 2018 IRC, and at that right spacing (48" with rafters and walls at 16"oc and all lined up on studs and cripples) to 2018 IRC. With a 4:12 roof no purlins needed. While no longer a builder by trade (that was almost 20 years ago) I have built 100's of houses for folks over the years.
Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— AEAE008C-8AAC-4036-9467-8611B21B376B

Great question, please check me. I am some times mistaken—

OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I have been in my dream garage for almost two years now. This is my retirement. A/C was a must for me. My big regret is not putting in a bathroom. I would never get the sprinkles for the floor again. Hides every little screw or nut. Good lighting and lots of electrical expansion capability.
Pic taken today.

Jeep Wrangler JL Garages: Pictures and Help— AEAE008C-8AAC-4036-9467-8611B21B376B
Awesome. Thank you for sharing! Uncle. I will look at lifts—

OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I installed the Harken lift and I love it. My garage is quite a bit smaller than yours so I want to get the top as high as possible.
Brilliant, thank you for sharing—

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1— What would I need in addition to the TV and internet connection to stream videos and such from iPad? Or would I just connect an old laptop instead of recycling it?

2— A lift would be more handy than a floor jack or two?

3— Not engineered, though lower (in the upper 40% rather than upper 33%) and beefer (2x6 rather than 1x4) than 2018 IRC, and at that right spacing (48" with rafters and walls at 16"oc and all lined up on studs and cripples) to 2018 IRC. With a 4:12 roof no purlins needed. While no longer a builder by trade (that was almost 20 years ago) I have built 100's of houses for folks over the years.
AEAE008C-8AAC-4036-9467-8611B21B376B.jpeg

Great question, please check me. I am some times mistaken—
Nothing needed other than WiFi for the smart TV and your phone.

As to the collar ties, I was just reading a thread on another forum that had a detailed discussion on this. I've built more than a few structures in my time and found the discussion very enlightening. I'll PM you a link so as not to clutter this thread. Basically it amounts to a derating of rafters depending on location of collar ties according to 2018 IRC.
Sponsored