Sponsored

Garage headroom needed for suspension lift?

ripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I'm going to be adding a 1.5" spacer lift to the wife's JLU sport, I've done my research and I'm ready to do it. I have one question that I haven't found an answer to. How high do you need to jack the Wrangler up in order to do this? My garage interior is on 7' high due to a beam running across it, will I have enough room? I have time to do it this weekend and it's going to rain, so doing it in the driveway isn't an option.
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to be adding a 1.5" spacer lift to the wife's JLU sport, I've done my research and I'm ready to do it. I have one question that I haven't found an answer to. How high do you need to jack the Wrangler up in order to do this? My garage interior is on 7' high due to a beam running across it, will I have enough room? I have time to do it this weekend and it's going to rain, so doing it in the driveway isn't an option.
I would measure the clearance above your JLU at the lowest part of your garage roof/beam. All you need is enough room to get it up high enough to get the wheels off the ground (at least 2") and support the frame with jacks.

My garage has a similar structure and height limitation as you described for yours and I was able to successfully install a Rubicon suspension. It was close, but didn't have any problems bumping the large beam that runs the center of my garage. I had to keep the roll up door closed, because it's sits below the beam when open.

First, try getting the frame on jacks with the wheels off the ground to test your clearance. I did one Axle at a time.

NOTE: I could not however install a taller lift because my JLU would no longer fit in my garage. Make sure you also check your clearance with the garage door opening to verify you can drive it out of the garage once the lift is installed. My garage door sits lower than the beam.

Last edited:

20-Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
You'll be okay. You don't need to jack it up that high as the axle is coming down to remove the springs. I have a 6'6" garage door and the opener is only like 6'7". I did a Rubicon swap with a half inch spacer in the front to level it. It worked out to about 1 3/4". The front is where you will need the wiggle room the rears practically fell out. I also did one axle at a a time.
Sponsored