Garage door spring reminder

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
OMG... So I picked up my new wrangler about 2 weeks ago after a 4 month wait. I absolutely love it. I have the doors off, added a few small mods, I still drive around and can't believe that she is really mine.
I parked in the garage tonight, and my son and I were admiring the jeep and standing around looking at a way to run a wire for a flashlight charger. We went into the basement, shut the door, and BOOM! We hear this explosion. My wife is yelling from upstairs all scared, I didn't know what the hell happened. We go back into the garage and the door spring had snapped. The safety cable that runs thru the spring to keep it safe in case this happens also snapped. Right over the jeep. We had been standing right there about two minutes earlier.
I was afraid to walk around and see damage, I came around the back and the giant heavy spring is on the floor right alongside the jeep, the cable snapped back and was hanging a few feet away. There was sheetrock dust all over the hood. And ZERO damage. I can't believe that spring managed to fly off and avoid smashing anything. My adrenaline is still pumping and I feel so lucky right now. Here I park in the garage to keep the thing safe, right?? So we had the doors put in 20 years ago and I have never even thought about it, but just a heads up if your door opener springs are old you may want to think about changing them out. Off to buy the kit (both new springs and cables) tomorrow. WHEW!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys
Occupation
F&I Manager at Jeep Dealership
Vehicle Showcase
All that drama and no pic?

KwoodKing

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 2 Door
You mustā€™ve taken one, right? I mean this could have been a ā€œwelp it was good while it lasted guys- glad I held off on the stubby bumper and lift.ā€

vetygud

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willys 2 door Sarge, 2018 Silverado LTZ
Occupation
Retired LEO
All that energy released and no damage. You must be living good. Lol!​

Sponsored

MrTimberwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2016 JKU
OMG... So I picked up my new wrangler about 2 weeks ago after a 4 month wait. I absolutely love it. I have the doors off, added a few small mods, I still drive around and can't believe that she is really mine.
I parked in the garage tonight, and my son and I were admiring the jeep and standing around looking at a way to run a wire for a flashlight charger. We went into the basement, shut the door, and BOOM! We hear this explosion. My wife is yelling from upstairs all scared, I didn't know what the hell happened. We go back into the garage and the door spring had snapped. The safety cable that runs thru the spring to keep it safe in case this happens also snapped. Right over the jeep. We had been standing right there about two minutes earlier.
I was afraid to walk around and see damage, I came around the back and the giant heavy spring is on the floor right alongside the jeep, the cable snapped back and was hanging a few feet away. There was sheetrock dust all over the hood. And ZERO damage. I can't believe that spring managed to fly off and avoid smashing anything. My adrenaline is still pumping and I feel so lucky right now. Here I park in the garage to keep the thing safe, right?? So we had the doors put in 20 years ago and I have never even thought about it, but just a heads up if your door opener springs are old you may want to think about changing them out. Off to buy the kit (both new springs and cables) tomorrow. WHEW!!!
Few weeks ago, getting late At night, my son was working on his Cherokee in the garage. I told him when he was don to let me know so I could put my 2 Wranglers in there. He got done, I put them in. Came in house sat down, son talking to me and we hear a big crash in garage. Go out can't find anything. Next morning 6 am wife woke me to say garage door will not open. Go out yep spring broke. No damage done but had to wait 3 days to get someone out. Took 2 guys 10 minutes and cost me 325.00.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Glad you weren't hurt. Those garage door springs pack a wallop. Had one break on one of my garage doors late one night. I have the torsion spring type so it can't be launched. Still very loud and will make you jump lol.

You are absolutely right about replacing those old garage door springs and cables.

Word of caution for anyone unfamiliar with how to replace torsion type garage door springs. It's very dangerous and best left to someone who is experienced. I've worked on many doors and replaced many springs, cables and cable drums and it's still a bit intimidating to me when I replace one. If you ever have one of these springs get unleashed near your head you'll fully understand what I mean here.

BTW, this spring failure is a good example of why to never walk or stand under a partially opened garage door. It could fall if a spring or cable fails when not fully up.

Last edited:

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys
Occupation
F&I Manager at Jeep Dealership
Vehicle Showcase
LOL!

LOL! Well, here's an exciting pic of the spring! ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Garage door spring reminder IMG_20220813_230216744

Jeep Wrangler JL Garage door spring reminder IMG_20220813_230216744
Happy no damage man! Definitely have some luck on your side!

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wish those Final Destination movies were less of my childhood, I get anxiety just looking at those springs

Are you (the garage person) supposed to replace them on a timed basis or just when they start to look old rusted and rotted?

OP
OP
Yzfguy

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish those Final Destination movies were less of my childhood, I get anxiety just looking at those springs

Are you (the garage person) supposed to replace them on a timed basis or just when they start to look old rusted and rotted?
I can tell you this: the other garage door had a spring break a few years ago. It stayed on the cable and we weren't home, so had no idea how loud/violent it was. It felt more like "maintenance" and not "holy hell, what was that?!". I changed both springs on that door and never thought about doing the other door. I just figured it was a fluke.
So that first spring made it about 17 years, and this one about 20 years. I'd say they have a lifespan for sure. If this had smashed my new jeep I would have been kicking myself for not just doing both doors three years ago. Pretty stupid of me to not do both doors back then I suppose, but I've done stupider things :) By the way, it's not too hard to do. They come as a pair and as long as you get springs rated for the weight of your door, it's a pretty straight forward install.

Sponsored

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
I have had those break at my previous house and they do sound exacly like you said. sounds like a shotgun going off. Those types of spriings are dangerous. I recomend changing to the newer design with torsion springs on a winding rod above the door. Those too will eventually break but they stay on the rod and you dont have shit flying around. Glad the new jeep wasnt damaged!

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Those things break when you close the door. If you are like me you typically close the door as you are heading inside so you are out of the garage at failure point. The safety cable helps but not always as you have seen. My old house had 2 on each side and I got quick at changing them. With all the ones I had break over 20 years I only took car hood damage once as it skipped across the hood of an old Grand Cherokee

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Off to buy the kit (both new springs and cables) tomorrow. WHEW!!!
If you donā€™t really know what you are doing, please consider using a professional to install new springs. I like to do most all my own work, but I would not even think about touching one of these springs, they can be pretty deadly.

OP
OP
Yzfguy

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you donā€™t really know what you are doing, please consider using a professional to install new springs. I like to do most all my own work, but I would not even think about touching one of these springs, they can be pretty deadly.
I did the other door a few years ago. You aren't handling the spring while it's under tension, and make the adjustments while it's not stretched. What could happen? ;)
Sponsored