flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Long-time Jeeper here, who just ordered a new 2-door JL with stock plastic bumper. I know that the plastic molding between the bumper and fenders is often removed to accommodate larger tires, and I plan on doing the same thing even though I will be running the stock rims/tires for awhile...I just prefer how it looks without them. This begs two questions though:

-Would removing the molding void any part of the warranty? Perhaps allowing water intrusion into wiring for the integrated fog lights, for example.
-Does the molding serve any apparent function or benefit? I'm sure the designers put it there for a reason, perhaps aerodynamics?
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, for aerodynamics and I'm sure if you completely remove and some part fails in that area, most dealers would deny a claim. There are plenty of threads regarding cutting that piece but leaving the area that covers/protects the wiring. Some people remove it to cut while others have cut it in place.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
They haven't always been there so there is nothing voidable, assuming you complete the job like the OEM bumpers that don't have it (meaning close off everything that should be).
My '18 was ordered right after the JL was released and I don't have them. However my friend bought one in '20 and his does. He was going to take them off but said there are some pieces that would need to be installed in their place? I assume there must be some sort of panel that covers the back of the bumper so it's not open.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After I posted this thread, I found this great little video from Quadratec that explains how to remove these splash guards: How to Remove the Splash Guard from a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - YouTube

Even more valuable, were the comments where people explained how they trimmed the splash guards to eliminate the air dam, while retaining an enclosure on the fog light wiring. That's a great option because you can remove the unsightly part of the assembly, while keeping what's needed to protect the wires. An even better option discussed in the comments, was to order MOPAR's "closure panels," parts # 6KL10RXFAA and 6KL11RXFAA. These panels are apparently made to perform the function described above, so you don't have to cut or modify your stock splash guards...just remove them and replace with these panels. I take no responsibility for how well these options actually work because I haven't tried them myself...and even if they do, I can't comment on whether they'll void your warranty...just passing the info along. I'm sure many of us would be interested if someone decides to do either of these, so please share your experiences with the group.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
After I posted this thread, I found this great little video from Quadratec that explains how to remove these splash guards: How to Remove the Splash Guard from a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - YouTube

Even more valuable, were the comments where people explained how they trimmed the splash guards to eliminate the air dam, while retaining an enclosure on the fog light wiring. That's a great option because you can remove the unsightly part of the assembly, while keeping what's needed to protect the wires. An even better option discussed in the comments, was to order MOPAR's "closure panels," parts # 6KL10RXFAA and 6KL11RXFAA. These panels are apparently made to perform the function described above, so you don't have to cut or modify your stock splash guards...just remove them and replace with these panels. I take no responsibility for how well these options actually work because I haven't tried them myself...and even if they do, I can't comment on whether they'll void your warranty...just passing the info along. I'm sure many of us would be interested if someone decides to do either of these, so please share your experiences with the group.
I'm afraid the closeout part numbers you mentioned don't fit a sport plastic bumper. They are for the Rubicon plastic bumper.

Our only current option for the sport plastic bumper is to remove entirely or trim. In my case, I chose to trim while on the bumper. I used a box cutter with a new blade. It was a 20min job taking your time.

Jeep Wrangler JL "Gap Fillers" Necessary? 20210202_141705

Last edited:

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@flyer92 the main function of that part is for aero dynamic. also serves as a back cover plate for the fog lights. its not waterproof. just dust proof. so if you want to remove it and cutout a panel to cover up the fog lights. go for it.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Htfan...you are right about the closure panels not being exactly compatible with the Sport bumper. However, this was addressed by someone in the comments section of the video, who advised that it only requires a small/easy mod to make it fit properly. Again...I'm not recommending anything, just forwarding what Quadratec put out there.

Alas, I still have several (long) weeks until my JL arrives, but I suspect I'll just leave the splash guards as-is for awhile. The wait continues...

Last edited:

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Htfan...you are right about the closure panels not being exactly compatible with the Sport bumper. However, this was addressed by someone in the comments section of the video, who advised that it only requires a small/easy mod to make it fit properly. Again...I'm not recommending anything, just forwarding what Quadratec put out there..

Alas, I still have several (long) weeks until my JL arrives, but I suspect I'll just leave the splash guards as-is for awhile. The wait continues...
Good point. From looking at the images, the mounting hole pattern is different. It may be as simple as drilling new holes.

With the recommendations from others on this forum, I found trimming the existing panels in place the best/simplest way to go.

You must be excited about your JL order! Post up pictures when delivered.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe it only required drilling new holes, but I'd likely just trim the panels in place as you mentioned. Thanks for your feedback, and I'll definitely post pics of my new Jeep baby when she arrives!
Sponsored