Sponsored

GAIA (With Offroad Navigation) for CarPlay is finally live!

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
The screen shot posted by @Jaym looks great! ... lots of useful off-road messages on the screen. What is the cost for GAIA?

Is this significantly better than using a pre-downloaded Google map with your phone's built in gps? I've used this Google map trick, and it worked pretty well ... for free.

Updated options ...
Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Are Gaia maps accurate?

Their Australian web site spells my state "New South Whales" :CWL:

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
GAIA itself isn’t maps. You can choose which map works best for you. It’s as accurate as your selected map and your gps on your phone. In the photo I posted, I pre downloaded the National Geographic maps which come with Gaia premium ($39/annually.) I also downloaded as backup the satellite maps, open hiking map, and a few trail overlays/premade routes from jeeptheusa.com. You can have multiple maps on the screen and fade them in and out with premium.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Pretty much no more reason to have a side by side ipad now. Big screen with gaia = happy jeeper.
CarPlay does not work on an iPad. I was so excited about this, and when I went to test it I found out that CarPlay is not supported on an iPad. I have a new iPad Pro, and do not even have the ability to download CarPlay. I checked with Apple support and they confirmed it. So will have to keep using two devices until android auto works and I can use on my phone. Per GAIA, no firm eta or plans for android auto at this time,

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I do want to call out one thing about the potential benefit of keeping your iPad.
The car play app is awesome as it is, but, if I want to see the data as in elevation, change layers, add waypoints, etc, I still need to use my phone.

so, is it awesome? Yes! But, the CarPlay app does have some limitations.

also, I like to jump in and out of my Jeep with my phone, take pics, etc, and that means I have to plug it back in and relaunch Gaia each time.

Sponsored

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
GAIA itself isn’t maps. You can choose which map works best for you. It’s as accurate as your selected map and your gps on your phone. In the photo I posted, I pre downloaded the National Geographic maps which come with Gaia premium ($39/annually.) I also downloaded as backup the satellite maps, open hiking map, and a few trail overlays/premade routes from jeeptheusa.com. You can have multiple maps on the screen and fade them in and out with premium.
I can't figure out how to download the NatGeo maps. I have the premium version and when I go to download maps of an area my only options are Gaia Topo, Satellite with Labels, and USGS Topo. Where do you go to download them?

EDIT: Never mind. I was just a member, not a premium member.

TJ Sky

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.travisnovitsky.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have it but my screen is really dark and a different color than my iPhone. The iPhone is light tan and white background. The screen is dark green with dark brown topo lines. I can’t figure out how to fix it. Ant ideas?
I had the same issue. After connecting your phone to CarPlay you need to go into the CarPlay settings on your Uconnect dash display and change the Appearance from dark to light.

001.jpg

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I pulled the app and it seems very good for hiking trails, but the couple off-road parks I looked for (Windrock TN, and Rausch Creek PA) were not located.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I pulled the app and it seems very good for hiking trails, but the couple off-road parks I looked for (Windrock TN, and Rauschenberg Creek PA) were not located.
Which map were you using?
You could try to find GPX files of the trails and overlay it on a satellite map.

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Which map were you using?
You could try to find GPX files of the trails and overlay it on a satellite map.
I’d be more likely to use google maps and parks paper maps.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I'm a cheap bastard, and the idea of plopping down $40 to do what google does for free isn't very appealing, but I'm glad I did. Yesterday we went to do some social distancing off the grid, but when we got there, a gate blocked our access that wasn't there last week. Luckily I had sprung for a premium membership of GAIA maps during the week and had trails downloaded, so we were able to find an alternate way off the grid and navigate many miles of trails on a whim.
49712916961_ef02cbce99_h.jpg

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a cheap bastard, and the idea of plopping down $40 to do what google does for free isn't very appealing, but I'm glad I did. Yesterday we went to do some social distancing off the grid, but when we got there, a gate blocked our access that wasn't there last week. Luckily I had sprung for a premium membership of GAIA maps during the week and had trails downloaded, so we were able to find an alternate way off the grid and navigate many miles of trails on a whim.
Sounds like a fun day! I love your yellow dash!

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring

I just signed up for the Gaia premium level. It has taken me a few hours of video and reading here and there and some hands-on operation to understand this program.....but now I am getting this. It will take a few hours to learn your way in.....but there is allot here to pick from. I can now look at hundreds of "overlay" maps. Select the map(s) I want to use and then use them up on my screen. I can even print a paper map in case things go south and I need to use a "real" map and a compass to find my way.

A couple of the overlay maps of value to us off-roaders are:
MVUM. (Motor Vehicle Use Maps)
USFS Classic
USFS Roads and Trails
USGS national Map
some of the state maps (deer hunting areas, moose, etc)
Shaded Relief areas (shows the elevation changes)
Satellite with Lables
Gaia Topo (feet) Base Map

With any or all of these maps.....I can determine when (and how much) detail I want added to my base map. Pretty phenomenal.

I still got allot to learn......but I think I am now at that "AHAH!" moment with this program. I think this is gonna be my new best friend. :).

My advice.....do your homework. Watch some YouTube operational videos. Find the most recent content so as to not confuse yourself. Work with it........and you will like this mapping too! I am quickly becoming an old dinosaur......and I'm not very tech savvy.. So if I can do it......you young whipper-snappers are golden.

It took me a while to realize I could not use my iPad with this app. Maybe not all bad....as my iPhone is much smaller and will serve the same purpose. I think I can use my iPad for other purposes.....but may not need to clutter my dash with another screen as the Apple Car Play and Gaia solve that issue very nicely. Life is good.

Edit: Also have learned to use my Mac Book (laptop) to make the trail maps of interest.....and then save them. Once done....all my devices will have the maps of interest saved....and I can follow those trails on screen. You cannot do this with an iPhone or an iPad. Funny thing.....you cannot find all this information in one place......and it does not come easy. Spend some time with this.......it's worth it!
Sponsored

Last edited: